Asides

6981st Security Group – Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
Aug 1969 to Nov 1970

6981st Security Group
Elmendorf AFB, Alaska

Below are images and military documents for this period of time:

279 comments for “6981st Security Group – Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
Aug 1969 to Nov 1970”

1. Don.
    Thanks for the info. I’m sorry to hear about the passing of Bill Larkin and Ken Jensen.

I’m surprised by how many guys re-enlisted and how many got commissions. There were a lot of great people working in the 6981st back then.

Posted by Jim Van Epps | February 25, 2016, 6:36 am
  2. Jim;
    I was trying to get in touch with Bill Larkin for a year or so but kept missing him. Then I came onto his obituary and contacted the funeral home to confirm it was him. I am sorry that I missed him. I’ve been trying to find Larry Brookins for a couple of years but no luck. The internet is such a great source, but not necessarily all encompassing.
    Don

Posted by Don Shipman | March 1, 2016, 9:32 pm
  3. I was at the 6981st from 1968 to 1970. I was a 202 in the Data Prep section. Supervisor was T/Sgt Jim Williams.

Posted by Jack Durant | May 2, 2016, 4:32 pm
  4. Looking for co-workers in thecradio maint shop.

Posted by I was there from 1964 -1968 and again 1974 - 1979 | May 22, 2016, 11:02 pm
  5. I was stationed at Elmendorf from 1970-1972. Was on Charlie Flight. I sat rack and then cross trained and worked in the DF shop. Would love to gear from anyone who served there,

Mike

Posted by Mike Griffin | May 27, 2016, 11:00 am
  6. Hi Mike, I was voice on Charlie Flight July 1969 to January 1972. Where did you sit?

Posted by Gary Zurn | May 27, 2016, 4:42 pm
  7. I was on Charlie flight, 1969 to 1971 that Harley Carter and ssgt Jim Murphy were my supervisors.

Posted by Frank Csonka | May 27, 2016, 4:45 pm
  8. Hey Frank — good to see your post and great talking to you a month or so ago. My wife and are heading to Alaska for the 81st reunion, it would be great to see a few of the Charlie company morse code boys again. Great memories

Tim Loden

Posted by Tim Loden | May 28, 2016, 12:16 pm
  9. I remember SSGT Murphy but not Carter

Posted by Gary Zurn | May 28, 2016, 12:35 pm
  10. Hey Tim,

I thought you weren’t going to the reunion? let me know for sure.
    tks
    r

Posted by Ralph Cucitrone | May 29, 2016, 10:18 am
  11. Gary,
    carter was bald, glasses, smoked cigars. supervisor rw and rc
    r

Posted by Ralph Cucitrone | May 29, 2016, 10:20 am
  12. I don’t remember him. I do remember Lt Smith, Msgt Eddie Taylor, SMsgt Douglas, SSgt Harris in I think radar area.

Posted by Gary Zurn | May 29, 2016, 1:08 pm
  13. Ralph:

We’re booked buddy — in Anchorage for 3 days the doing the Alaska Cruise down the coast. It would be awesome to hook up with you guys in Anchorage.
    If you want our itenerary — I can email it to you later today.
    We’re hooking up with Jim Hymer in Settle after the cruise — I talked to Jim last week.

Posted by Tim Loden | May 29, 2016, 2:21 pm
  14. SSGT Murphy reported to Carter

Posted by Tim Loden | May 29, 2016, 2:23 pm
  15. That was Harley Carter to a tee.

Posted by Frank Csonka | May 29, 2016, 3:52 pm
  16. Tim,
    Yes. Please email me your plans for the trip. I would love to hook up with you and your wife. Cant promise though. most likely I may be in the process of moving to Virginia.
    tks
    r

Posted by Ralph Cucitrone | May 30, 2016, 8:15 am
  17. Ralph:

In Anchorage June 22,23 & 24 — heading to Seward on the train the morning of the 25th to meet the cruise ship.

Posted by Tim Loden | May 30, 2016, 2:57 pm
  18. Hi Allie,
    I’m trying to get together a shadow box for my Dad. He is really looking for the 6981st mobile group Alaska patch but I’m having a heck of a time finding one. My dad was in Shemya for a while. I don’t know ow if any of you remember a dog named boozer but he talks about him fondly. There’s another patch I am looking for 6984th group I have to get the exact details. But if anyone knows how or where I can look it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your service. I know most of you served in silence.

Posted by Julie | June 3, 2016, 9:39 pm
  19. Sorry about the Typo I meant to SAY ALL not Allie.

Posted by Julie | June 4, 2016, 6:10 am
  20. I served with the 6981st at Elmendorf AFB from ’55 thru ’58

Not many still around that served during that era.

Try JDL Graphics. I ordered a baseball type cap from them with the 6981st RGM logo on it

Ways to Contact us:

Telephone: 815-401-1120

Email: JDLgraphics@yahoo.com

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ORDERS CAN TAKE UP TO 30 DAYS TO PRODUCE. EACH ORDER IS CUSTOM MANUFACTURED.

Our company founder, Don LaChappell, was a member of the USAFSS from February 1963 to February 1966. He served for 2 years at the 6910th in Darmstadt, Germany and 1 year with the 6924th in DaNang, South Vietnam.

Posted by Bill Eatmon | June 4, 2016, 10:18 am
  21. I was stationed on St. Lawrence Island from July 1955 to July 1956. I was a Russian Language specialist, I was bumped off the plane that crashed near Skwenta and all were killed. It was a terrible way to start a very difficult year on the Rock.

Leonard Shapiro

Posted by Leonard Shapiro | June 4, 2016, 11:23 am
  22. Thank you so much Bill, I will email them now. I appreciate your help. Don’t know if you new my Dad his name is Bill McGarry. It would be great if I could find some old contacts for him.

Posted by Julie | June 7, 2016, 11:21 am
  23. I don’t remember that name, but after 58 years there are a lot of things I don’t remember.

I helped establish the “data processing” unit. For the first 6 months I was there we cross trained radio operators to be key punch operators. Two of them were John Pettit and Bob Delaughter.

Posted by Bill Eatmon | June 7, 2016, 3:47 pm
  24. To Bill Eatmon… I was in data processing from late ’65 to early ’69. I worked with John Petit….a staff sargent as I recall… Really nice guy….he was my shift leader for awhile….befriended us new recruit airmen.
    Also worked with Sgt Baluh, data processing chief, Sgt. Kenny, his assistant. Gary Fellers, my shift leader. Gary Gribbler, my baracks room mate. Jim Favor, radio operator buddy down the hall.
    Wouldn’t mind saying Hi to those guys, if they’re still around.

Posted by John Jensen | June 7, 2016, 5:15 pm
  25. Well that would explain it. My Dad was in Shemya during the 50’s. I will have to look up the exact dates. You guys are just spring chickens! I don’t suppose you would know anyone from that era. Thanks for responding. I truly appreciate your help.

Posted by Julie | June 7, 2016, 6:07 pm
  26. Served with 6981St, Charlie Flight from January, 1968 until March, 1971. Worked mostly for Ssgt. Tom Murphy. My wife and friends are headed to Alaska next Saturday, August 13.

Posted by Jerry Van Dyken | August 6, 2016, 10:59 am
  27. Attended the June reunion at the 81st in June — what a nice journey to go back in time. The 2 day event was well done and fun to revisit the Elephant Cage and the Bat Cave.
    Meeting a few of the present airmen and group commander was nice.
    My wife and I hooked-up with Dean Parker who remained in Anchorage after his tour and also with Jim Hymer in Seattle at the end of our Alaskan Cruise.
    Great trip — so many memories relived.

Posted by Tim Loden | August 6, 2016, 12:34 pm
  28. I joined the 6981st RGM 1959-1961 our theme song at the time was Green Door. We used to walk down the hill across the railroad tracks to town. This was when Anchorage had 2 streets and 42 bars. My favorite hangout was the coffee cup where I chatted with the owners and their daughter. On my 21st birthday some of my friends went to town to celebrate, then your drink and one friends drink were free.
    The shortest way back to the base was “C” street and across the railway yard. It was a good tour. I enjoyed it and wanted to stay another year. They said sure if you want to go to Shemeya or to Goodfellow as an instructor. Unfortunately I declined both and was forced to cross train. I wish I would have gone back to Goodfellow as an instructor. I left a beautiful gal named Nita who was studying to be a nurse at the Shannon Nursing School in San Angelo. I was transferred to Selfridge AFB MI and worked in the Command Post where I met a member of my class at Keesler. He also cross trained into the Air Operations field as a base operations dispatcher where I met my wife who I married 3 months later. 20 years later I retired from the AF and 17 years later I retired Federal Civil Svc. Now I am a widower with 4 kids, 11 grandchildren and 3 great grand. children. I would like to hear from some who was with 6981st RGM 1959-1961.

Posted by thomas leszczynski | August 9, 2016, 4:42 pm
  29. I was a radio traffic analyst with Dale Hayes, Ron Segars, and
    Dennis Mallory at the 6981st from June, 1959 to March, 1963 when I got discharged and went to work for the Anchorage Daily Times. I worked there while taking night classes at the U of A and eventually taught at West High in Anchorage. Moved to LA and taught there. Retired to Palm Springs. Happily divorced, 1 kid, 5 grandkids, 4 grandkids all in Anchorage. Visit Anchorage every few years. Glad I don’t live there.

Posted by Bob Marlin | August 9, 2016, 6:42 pm