Asides

6981st Security Group – Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
Aug 1969 to Nov 1970

6981st Security Group
Elmendorf AFB, Alaska

Below are images and military documents for this period of time:

313 comments for “6981st Security Group – Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
Aug 1969 to Nov 1970”

1. To John Jensen…Did you know a guy Richard Muchklinski from Transec next door. I worked part time for the Business Service Bureau on 5th st. I was contracted by them for the FAA in downtown Anchorage as a DP operator. Were your barracks near the Airmans Club or were the moved because o the earthquake damage? I remember that we had 3-6 inch cracks in the walls so you could actually stick your hand through to the outside.

Posted by James A. (jack) Colvard | November 29, 2016, 11:30 am
  2. To John Jensen…I don’t remember any of the names you mentioned in DP. After I got out, I worked in St. Paul, went Chicago and ended up at UW-River Falls
    WI. Quit UW went into farming for 8 years and then went to work in County Govt. as an Emergency MNGT Dir. My short history after service. Now, retired, still on the farm and enjoying travel to see some of the county. What is your story? Where are you located now?

Posted by James A. (jack) Colvard | November 29, 2016, 11:42 am
  3. If anyone gets info on Gary Fellers, please let us know. We Were in the radio shop and knew him well.

Posted by Bill Tayman | November 29, 2016, 3:27 pm
  4. To Jack Colvard…. Had a couple of odd jobs in Anchorage after I got out in 1969. In 1971, I went to work for the State of Alaska. Worked there until 1998 when I went to Seattle….and worked for the State of Washington until I retired in 2013.

Got my pilot’s license in 1965, before I went into the service. Activities include bush flying in Alaska….had a Super Cub on floats for 20+ years. After coming to Washington, spent a few weeks every summer traveling the country on a Harley….for 15 years. Also did some sailing on Puget Sound….for 8 years. Since retiring, we have done a lot of RVing coast to coast…. Currently still in Washington…but who knows where next?
    Have 4 children….and 8 grandchildren.

Posted by John Jensen | November 29, 2016, 4:15 pm
  5. To Jack Colvard…. Don’t recall Richard Muchklinski…

Yes, barracks were near the Airman’s Club. In fact, I worked part time at the Airman’s Club for a very short time….not a good job….! Also worked part time at the Base Commissary….carrying out groceries for tips.

Finished up college by going to on-base U of A classes at night. Graduated in 1971…..U of A chartered a plane to fly us to the main campus in Fairbanks for the commencement exercise. Fun times…..!

Posted by John Jensen | November 29, 2016, 4:34 pm
  6. I went to Alaska Methodist University and graduated also in 1971 even though full time as 203xx

Posted by Gary Zurn | November 29, 2016, 6:39 pm
  7. I was stationed at 6981st during 1958-59. Sgt. Ernest Sterm was my boss. I enjoyed it there.

Posted by RAY MEHLBERGER | November 30, 2016, 10:05 am
  8. To Ray Mehlberger
    Good to hear from someone there at same time!
    I was a 29151 at 6981st RGM Elmendorf in commcenter 57-58-59. Our quarters were in the OPS bldg. for about 3 months, then moved down to the barracks near the flt line. My bosses were SSGTs Crouch and DEloach and SMS Setzer. Captain Howell was adjutant and Col Lacasse was CO. I vaguely recall a name similar to yours, but not sure after 58 years! where did you work?

Posted by Jack (Elzie J) Williams | November 30, 2016, 12:45 pm
  9. I wondered if there was anyone still living, other than myself, that might have been with the 6981st RGM in the late 50’s.

I was in data processing from August ’55 thru June ’57. Was among the first 68250’s to be assigned there. DP was new to the group (actually it was “squadron” in ’55 RSM). Col. Leo Lacasse became the commander. about 6 months after I arrived there. M/Sgt Paul Sisk was my boss. For the first few months we cross trained some radio operators as key punch operators.

It was great duty and my tour was to be 2 years, but I extended for a year and was discharged as S/Sgt at McCord AFB

Posted by Bill Eatmon | November 30, 2016, 3:21 pm
  10. Then-Colonel–now Brigadier General Leo La Casse is still with us and I visit with him every few weeks.

Posted by Pamela O'Connor | December 27, 2016, 1:11 pm
  11. Lawrence C. (SPIKE) Davis. Aft, “D” console controller, 68-71 (at least). we have searched hard for him. Anybody have clues as to his wereabouts?

Posted by tim morrissey | February 24, 2017, 12:18 pm
  12. Still looking for Jerry Carter, 202, A Flt, late ’60’s

Posted by tim morrissey | February 24, 2017, 12:19 pm
  13. I was stationed there ’57 to ’59. Everyone had to pull KP for 30 straight days! I was an analyst. Col. Lacasse was Commander.

Posted by Donald J. Biron | March 26, 2017, 5:57 pm