Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece

I have quite a bit of memories from this island in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea. If my dates are correct (probably not), we lived there sometime around 1967 to 1969.  We lived off-base near a woodshop and a bakery. I would walk every evening to the bakery and get a fresh loaf of Greek bread for dinner. I remember a dancing bear that would come by. His Greek handler would have him dance while he played the tambourine. When finished, my dad would “tip” him with a couple packs of American cigarettes (Marlboros!). There was a Greek family that loved to come over and watch Gunsmoke on our American TV. I especially remember that my dad, who loved sports growing up, started the first youth baseball league on Crete. Instead of the Commander (Col. Louie Miller, Jr.) throwing out the first pitch to a catcher, he threw it into the middle of all us boys gathered together. I came up with the ball and it sits on desk to this day. You can see it here:

Baseball photos

119 comments for “Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece”

1. for all you guys that were stationed there, check this out:

paste that into your browser and you will see iraklion airstation, whatever it is now, from satellite a few years ago….all the buildings are still there and identifiable: the barracks, the chow hall, the compound, even the movie theatre—remember the “mid flicks”?
    I was there from april 66 until october 67…..

Posted by bryan martinez | June 20, 2009, 5:34 pm
  2. great satellite shot. i was at IAS from April 62 thru Oct 63. i certainly can recognize most of the buildings. thanks

Posted by steve j solar | October 28, 2009, 6:44 am
  3. I was stationed at Iraklion from Dec. 1965 until July 1967. I worked Charlie Flight. The one building I remember best was the Airmans Club. How many remember the Charlie flight Christmas Party 1966? That 50 cents per payday to finance the party sure provided a lot of fun in one night.If there is anyone out there that was on Crete during the time period listed above leave me an note or send an email.
    X Radio Intercept Operator

Posted by H. Mitchell Gay | March 9, 2010, 7:32 pm
  4. stationed 1966 to 1970 207×1, dog flight as ncoic msd

Posted by norman trent | September 24, 2010, 7:53 am
  5. I was on IAS from1-74 on Baker Flt. as an Arabic Linguist. My nickname was Moodus. It was probably the best time of my life.

Posted by Jimmy I. McCleese | November 9, 2010, 11:57 am
  6. My family and I were on Crete from April 1963 until July 1966. I worked on straight days but spent many nights at ops since I was the only French Linguist there and also had Czech and Russian skills. We lived downtown near the main square for 2 years and finally lived on base. My wife is Sally and we have two sons Dick and Larry. Crete was a great experience and we tried to get extended there as long as possible but they sent me to 6948th at Goodfellow in summer of 1966.

Dick Roberts

Posted by Richard (Dick)Roberts | February 13, 2011, 5:10 pm
  7. I was stationed on Crete from May,67 -Dec,68. admin-medic at dispensary, SGT VOZAR IST NCOIC, would like to hear from anyone there around that time period.

Posted by Ken Jenkins | March 6, 2011, 1:07 pm
  8. Norm Trent My buddy, how bout that, awful glad to see your still around, want to adopt a cat????????
    Old Joke but a great memory. Ken I believe we may have worked together or at least mat I was ther from Dec. 1968 to March 1972.
    tarted out as an x1 but became 202 after tdy frankfurt for School and training, great to see you guys…..best wishes….Joe McDonough

Posted by Joe Mcdonough | March 9, 2011, 7:10 pm

Posted by DAVID JACOBE | April 1, 2011, 12:16 pm
  10. I was at IAS from October 1963 to April 1965. I was with Baker Flight the entire time. There were some events that took place here that I will always remember. President Kennedy was assassinated on 22 November 1963. The Bob Hope Christmas Show was at IAS in December 1963 but I did not get to see it. Since I was a “rookie” at IAS at that time I had to fill shift duty for an “old timer” so he could see the Bob Hope Show. I didn’t like it but it was the right decision. It is hard to believe this was almost fifty years ago. Looking back, I have good memories of Crete and I am proud to have been a part of the USAFSS and would like hearing from anyone who was there during that time.

Posted by Rod Klemp | May 5, 2011, 9:49 pm
  11. I was stationed on Crete as a 202 Intelligence Analyst from Dec. 1963 to April 1965. One of the best experiences of my life. Reassinged to HQ/San Antonio, then to DaNang, Vietnam. Back to HQ/San Antonio, volunteered again and went to Saigon working at the US Army’s Davis Station. Discharged April 1967. Used G.I. Bill to get BS degree in Broadcasting at Kent State University; was at the shooting site May 4, 1970 and as News Director of WKSU-AM&FM and WKNT-AM&FM. Moved to Maui with wife Kaye and son; lived there 5 years; moved to Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda, Florida. Company built and I ran a resort-marina-shopping facility called Fishermen’s Village. Tried to retire by Charlotte County Sheriff hired me as PIO in 2003. Been there ever since using Intelligence and Media skills.

Posted by Bob "Carp" Carpenter | July 19, 2011, 8:03 pm
  12. I was stationed at Iraklion Air Station from 1965-66 as a 20250. I came 2T from Karamursel Air station in Turkey. IAS was a great assignment and I have many great memories of my time there. I am very proud of my service in the USAFSS during the cold war.

Posted by John Schenck | August 5, 2011, 8:54 am
  13. Stationed at 6930th RGM from 61-62. I worked as a 202 in Techsum Prep. Best friend was Jimmy Johnson on Baker flight, also a 202. Married Mando in October 62 and will celebrate our 50th next October. Loved Crete and have gone back many times.

Posted by Tim Swainhart | December 8, 2011, 11:24 am
  14. I was at 6930th RGM during 62-63 and was a 202 working shift work. My best friend was Jimmy Johnson, also a 202 on Baker flight if I recall. Retired from service in 83 and living in San Antonio now after also retiring from USDA.

Posted by Tim Swainhart | December 8, 2011, 12:18 pm
  15. I was stationed at IAS from 1959 to 1961 as a radio intercept operator, 29231. I have many fond memories of my year and one half on Crete. I was on Charlie trick and played on the base fast pitch softball team which travel to Turkey and Spain competing in the European championships. I would love to hear from anyone else who was stationed during this same time. Sincerely, Roger Adams

Posted by Roger Adams | December 24, 2011, 10:01 am
  16. I was stationed at Iraklion AS three times (X1) 61-63, 76-78, 81-84–all on Charlie flt (some Days in 83, 84 in DOO). Wonderful tours with lots of great memories. Retired after 30 yrs in 1990; retired from post office in 2009–49 yrs was enough! Would love to hear from anyone there during that time; 6930/6931 tour was the best kept secret in the AF.

Posted by Warren Dickerson | December 26, 2011, 3:39 pm
  17. I was stationed at Iraklion AS twice 15 Jun 1959 to 3 July 1964 (My first Air Force Assignment) and again 15 Nov 1981 to 1 Sep 1984 (My last Air Force Assignment)I was a security policeman during my first tour and worked the compound gate until Jun 1960 when I moved to the base police. On my second tour I worked at Base Supply. I consider IAS the best assignment of my 26 year career. I drove around the base a few years ago and was saddened to see it’s run down condition.

Posted by John Bugg | December 31, 2011, 2:57 pm
  18. Hello Warren Dickerson,
    I was stationed at Iraklion from July 1978 to July 1980. Didn’t work in the compound but worked at CE. Spent alot of time in the gym but partied with alot of Intel folks. Remember Ernie Lee and his crew? Any idea where he is now?

Posted by Charles "C.T." Wells | January 3, 2012, 1:37 pm
  19. I was an MIO at IAS from 1962 to 1966. Before that I was with the 6922nd SG in the PI. great beach in Crete. Met a nice girl there. Her mother was an ex beauty queen married to one of the base officers. She hated me because I hung with her daughter. Nothing came of our relationship. Had good times there.

Posted by John Schmidt | January 5, 2012, 3:37 pm
  20. I was stationed at the 6931st and worked in the comm center as a 291xx. Enjoyed the beach and the NCO club. Arrived in 1968 left in 70. This was a consecutive tour for me after leaving Da Nang Vietnam.

Posted by lester (souc) soucie | January 21, 2012, 7:57 pm
  21. Hello Warren,

I stumbled onto this site and immediately recognized your name. While my memory often fails me, I think you were a relatively new Tech Sgt in the 31st ESS when I was there in 76 – 78. Something tells me you were on Charlie Flight with John Resetar but I could be wrong. Regardless, I can still see you in the X1 isle. You were always an exemplar for meeting standards. I hope you are doing well. — Phil Thompson

Posted by Phil Thompson | January 31, 2012, 5:56 pm
  22. My dad, George Demas, and our family were at Iraklion in the early ’60s. I have vivid memories of great times there. Names still come to mind: the Stickneys, the Spinners, the Drys, the Leets, the Sheens, the Taltys, the Shermans, the Huxtables, and more. We had a Girl Scout group, a bowling team, a trampoline down at the beach, Platter Pulse on my transistor radio, and so much more. It was a time never to be forgotten.

Posted by Kathy Demas Vegh | March 3, 2012, 3:45 pm
  23. I was stationed at IAS from 73′-75. I worked in the dental clinical. It is a shame that paradise has been lost. However, I didn’t feel that way or know any better when I was stationed there.

Posted by Carvin D. Stevens | April 12, 2012, 9:51 am
  24. I was there 73-75 and had a great time. I was in the Public Health office at the clinic. Some of you may know it as the VD clinic.

Posted by Reynaldo De Los Santos | April 17, 2012, 3:14 pm
  25. LESTER D. SOUCIE.. boy do I remember the souc…rickyp

Posted by rick plummer | April 28, 2012, 2:25 pm
  26. I was stationed at Iraklion Air Station from from May 1967 to September 1968. I forget which flt I was on but believe it was baker flt. I do recall having a female Lt as officer of our flight in teh summer of 1968. I coached some of those little league games. I remember that Lt. Col Kozina’s son was on one of my teams as well as Msgt Fred Long’s son. If anyone from that time period would like to contact me my email address is williams.danny98@yahoo.com

Danny Williams

Posted by Danny Williams | May 2, 2012, 10:24 am
  27. I was stationed at Iraklion Air Station from March 59 til Sept.60.
    I was in the group who put the large white cross on top of the mtn that could easily be seen from the base.

Posted by Clell Lewis | May 14, 2012, 4:54 pm
  28. I was in Crete as a 291X from 77-79 and missed it the day I left. I would love to hear from anyone on Baker flight in that time frame. Was also running with some folks from C flight also

Posted by Connie Bergmann Mathis | May 18, 2012, 1:04 pm
  29. I arrived @ IAS, Nov 1959, as a 292, assigned Z trick initially, which was days and swings, moved to Charlie trick. I worked along with Roger Adams. I remember John Bugg, as I had two AP buds, Joe Cicherski, and Mac(McTeer).I also remember Gillenwater. I recently located Jim Joiner, my old roommate on C trick, hope to see him. I also located and contacted Frank Freeze in NYC, he was a roommate while I was on Z, and lived on Baker,I was in contact with David L. Marie, until his untimely death. David and I left IAS in the spring of 1961, travel Europe, and we were both re-assigned to Hdq, USAFSS, San Antonio, TX. I hope you see this Roger. We drank our share of wine at the Candia Palace Hotel in downtown Iraklion, still so many memories, what a wonder. chas

Posted by CHARLES P. KEEFE | June 8, 2012, 8:17 pm
  30. i arrived thanksgiving 1968, we did have afemale flight commander on baker flight the one and only red hea, felicity bligh, she was a character…

Posted by rich grejda | June 20, 2012, 3:16 pm
  31. I was stationed at IAS from January 1979 through July 1981 and had a great time. Left for Torrejon after that. It’s sad to see it so rundown these days, but I suppose time marches on.

Posted by Randy O'Brien | July 2, 2012, 1:01 am
  32. Serve 4 tours at IAS. I love the place and
    you sure bring back some memories. I
    remember Rich, John and Sgt Long. There were so many young men over the years and
    young women. I was there 1963-1981 off and on. Would love hearing from you (gswain0@myway.com)or facebook.
    Gene A. Swain, Sr
    Burkeville, Tx

Posted by Gene A. Swain, Sr | July 8, 2012, 1:40 pm
  33. At the time we were part of NSA’s G group(other)Boy how things change. I loved the mission, the challenge, my co-workers, my house in Chersonissos, my room mates, Terry Hamburger, Gary Delamarter. My good friends Tim Howle, Elmo Elkins, Pickle, and others. Loved working with Charlie Flight. Wish I could remember all the names. Denny Mellinger was a great influence, as were others. Lt.Yastishock was a great officer. Loved the tourist ladies, souflakis (not known as gyros back then), the bakery, Kalifornia Market, Yannis Taverna….so very many great memories.

Posted by Jeff "Archie" Brunker | August 10, 2012, 9:44 pm
  34. Archie’s post caused the memories of Kriti to flood back. So many great people who helped form my life. Bill “Ticket” Midkiff, Bill Cole, Nanner (bananas) and so many others. What a great home it was to many of us.

Posted by Terry Hamberger | August 21, 2012, 6:48 pm
  35. Hey Carvin, you remember a dental tech named Sandy Wilson? Made it to IAS (72-74)via Clark AB, Philippines. Msgt Swain was my S&W. Miss all the great people I met. Went TDY to Chicksands for a school and couldn’t wait to get back to the beach.

Posted by Lynn "Elmo" Elkins | August 23, 2012, 7:26 pm
  36. Nice web-site Dude! – am looking forward to investigating the whole thing. I was stationed at Iraklion Air Station, January ’68 through July ’69, Able Flight. SSGT John Wilson was our NCO in charge, Non-Morse section. What a fantastic wonderful experience… I think I will never get over it…
    All the best to all y’all!, ike

Posted by Matthew Eichenlaub | August 29, 2012, 12:07 pm
  37. Wishing all ex-IAS folks a Merry Christmas
    and Happy New Year. Spent 11 wonderful
    Christmas’s there and have great memories.
    SMSgt Gene A. Swain (Ret)

Posted by Gene A. Swain, Sr | December 24, 2012, 4:12 pm
  38. I have a web site with over 3,000 photos of IAS and Crete from 1955 to today.Photos of the last day of the base.
    Looking for more photos no matter what dates you were at IAS. Please contact me if you have any photos you wish to share.I’m also on Face Book and member of the IAS sites on FB. CRETE 1963-70.Back to visit in 1976,92,2006 and 2012.

Posted by GARY MCPHERSON | January 24, 2013, 8:02 pm
  39. PS to my last.I have over 375 members many photos posted by them Found lost friends with the site also.

Posted by GARY MCPHERSON | January 24, 2013, 8:04 pm
  40. I read Terry’s comment and it brought back a flood of memories about the place and people – Terry, Ticket and Bill. I was there 76-78; what a wonderful two years.

Posted by E. Gomez "Goody" | January 29, 2013, 5:08 pm
  41. My tour as the base Top Secret Control Officer at IAS began in September 1954. We were the first group at IAS. The site plan et al was organized at Wheeles AFB in Tripoli and flown “in pieces” to Iraklion International in C-47’s. We thught we were very secret until Russians radioed a happy birthday to the Major who was our commanding officer.That shook us all up a little bit! Judging by the comments of those who were there 10+ years later in the mid-sixties, the base has become hugh. Our homes were quanset huts.And that was all almost 60 years ago.

Posted by Dick Allard | February 5, 2013, 12:30 pm
  42. Hey Warren – I do remember you..we both spent some great times on Kriti! Me, 61-62; 79-81; 84-87. Retired Dec 1, 1987. Last Crete job, Ops Supt. Still have a good friend residing on Crete, Joel Gussman. I do keep in touch with him. Trying to get back there for a visit. Am sure it will happen sooner than later. Yasoo…..mike rooney

Posted by mike rooney | February 15, 2013, 11:46 pm
  43. I was at IAS 75-76 coming in from my first tour at Misawa AB. I played slowpitch softball league, made the base fast pitch team that beat Athens and then flew immediately to Torrejon so we could get pasted by Ankara, and the Torrejon team. Played league 8 man tackle football and then made the base team. Went to Athens for our only game to get flattened by those animals in 11 man football. Loved my bachelor pad in Chersonnosis with my Albuquerque bro’ Gilbert Sanchez. I was single, and carved a mythic path of romantic destruction through that island via the young touristas from the North. Just sayin’….. couldnt have had more fun and created better memories….thx USAFSS

Posted by Dave Overstreet 207X2 | February 15, 2013, 11:58 pm
  44. I was linguist stationed at the 6931st on Baker Flight from 1975 to 1977. Great assignment! I’m hoping to find some friends from that time. Does anyone know: Stan Bishop, Dave Wallace, Don Richmond, Bill “Ticket” Midkiff, or Billy Cole? All were 203s that I went to school with in 1974. Any help would be appreciated!

Posted by Mike Meermans | March 23, 2013, 9:59 pm
  45. I was stationed at 6930th RGM ’61-’63 Iraklion AS. Wonderful times and memories. I was a ditty bopper on Alfa Flight. En doxi, Poli kala, adio feelemu.

Posted by Richard Campbell | May 3, 2013, 5:59 am
  46. i was stationed at ias 64/65 conected to the med div as a dental tech.without a doubt one of the best experinces of my life.it is defintly on my bucket list.i,ve always told my wife how much i would like to take her there.does anyone remember dennis mott or mike flynn.out of all the colerful people i knew those are the only two names i remember

Posted by joe hicks | May 16, 2013, 10:55 am
  47. My father was stationed at IAS from Oct ’91-Aug ’92 I know it was only for a few months, but with most good things it must come to an end. Shortly after our arrival IAS made the closure list. I really enjoyed my stay there. I often wondered about the cross you could see from IAS, still not entirely sure about the back story-could someone please enlighten me? If there is anyone out there that was there about that time and went to the school there płease feel free to contact me at: sccarrasco@yahoo.com thanks! Looking forward to any & all responses :0)

Posted by Shannon Carrasco | May 21, 2013, 9:09 am
  48. At IAS 61-63; 79-82; 84-87. 292X1/202X0; Ops Supt from 85-87. Super memories of sun, sand & the many guys/gals I came in contact with. I truly believe that the USAFSS/ESC consisted of the best men/women the Air Force had to offer! Still have a good friend running around Heraklion – Joel Gussman. Adio……mike rooney

Posted by Mike Rooney | May 26, 2013, 11:57 pm
  49. I was at IAS from Aprill 66 to October 67 at the AFRTS station. It was a great assignment and great training for a career in radio broadcasting. I just came back from a road trip that included seeing my old IAS roomie in St. Louis. He looked alot older and I’m sure I still look like I did when I was 22!

Posted by Brad Creamer | June 4, 2013, 11:29 am
  50. I was stationed at IAS Crete from Feb ’77 till Feb ’79. I worked in the Compound. Back then I was a 306X0 (now 2E391) Crypto. This was one of the best assignments I had during my 24 year career. I played a lot of racquett ball, did a lot of jogging around the base, and spent many hours at the base beach! During my time there I lived in Chersonnosis. I tried to get back to the Island many times. It just didn’t work out. But now my wife and I have a trip planed for Sept of this year. Can’t wait to see the place again!

Posted by Bob Monnin | June 24, 2013, 8:18 am
  51. Hi, It’s been a long time and without having contact have forgotten names. I was in Iraklion from 59 to end 61. I enjoyed my tour very much. It would be nice to hear from anyone that remembers me there.
    Best regards to all.

Jose (Joe) Morales

Posted by Jose Morales | July 20, 2013, 11:22 am
  52. I was reading about the baseball team and girl scout troop. My sister and I bowled and our family was the “Bowling Cotton family”. My sister was best friends with lori Kozena. Does anyone know where they are now?

Posted by linda Cotten Rothe | September 18, 2013, 4:12 pm
  53. Hi, I was there from early 1976 to mid 1977. I was in dawg flight, a ditty bopper like a mug for days! I remember Don Matta and a guy they called jitterbug from ok. Once we got some coors beers and a big mac mailed
    from the states. the mac sucked but, the beer was great!

Posted by Richard A Munson | September 19, 2013, 12:26 pm
  54. I was stationed on Crete from 81 to 85 and like most it was the best assignment of my 20 years. As a supply weenie I was on the outside, but I did marry a pounder. She occasionally would talk in her sleep and I never could figure out the language but I kenw enough not to ask!

Posted by Dale Bejger | November 8, 2013, 3:25 pm
  55. Server 1959 to 1960 on Crete as a 20250 in the fenced in compound. I would be glad to hear from men who were there during that year.
    Tom Owens A2/c vet.

Posted by Thomas D Owens | December 18, 2013, 2:42 pm
  56. was stationed at Iraklion from aug 74 to feb 77. was on Charlie flight, some of the names I remember were, dave hodge, chuck plant, jack Thomas, gary delamarter, dan sellers, we all played football for Charlie flight.coach john dilliard(pickle), I remember midkiff, a guy named gary cosby(funny as hell)! I’m looking for a girl named Kathy Kelly, I think she left crete in 75 or 76. had twin sister named cindy who married bill Dotson from cal. there was a bill Dotson from ark who played ball with us. les hager, brian chontos, rick Johnston,girl named maria(pickle’s helper)!!just located some of these stories and pictures, and it brings back a lot of good memories.

Posted by dee herbert | December 31, 2013, 8:02 pm
  57. my names dee Herbert, was on Charlie flight from aug 74 to feb 77. played football with delamarter, dan sellers, brian chontos, les hager, chuck plante, steve Fontenot, midkiff name sounds familiar. I remember a guy name don brieland from baker flight breaking our hearts! gary Gillard from Memphis.good seeing a lot of these names, brings back some good memories. trying to get some info on Kathy Kelly. she left crete in 75 or 76, had twin sister named cindy who married bill(bullet)Dotson from cal. not bill Dotson from ark!

Posted by dee herbert | December 31, 2013, 8:08 pm
  58. Hello Warren Dickerson. Gary & I still old friends and stumbled across this site. Got together for the Cotton Bowl, Jan 3, 2014. We worked Charlie Flight as 202s from 76 – 78.

Hello Dee Herbert. A lot of familiar names in your post as well. David (Vinsky) spent most of his time in S&W; Gary (Brew) on “the rack.”

Names that ring a bell with us: Paul Galloway (Grease), Randy Diehl (SID), Donny Child (DC), Paul Landry (Beantown), Donny Sharp (pud); Wm. John Jarrell (Little John), Tim Carr (Toad), Bart Arnold.

The two of us having a great time remembering who and what we can from those days. We have remained great friends since the days of Crete; some 35 years ago.

Posted by David James & Gary Brewer (Vinsky & Brew) | January 3, 2014, 11:38 am

Posted by dee herbert | January 4, 2014, 6:41 am
  60. I have posted on a couple of other pages hoping to get a hit. I was at 6930th IAS frm Aug. ’60 to Feb. ’62, Baker Flt. Worked with Sgts G. D. Seymour, and ??? David. Guys I knew .. Russ Burney,Larry Weaver, Ellis Crabtree,Dale Miller, Jack Hays,John Paul Miles, Jim Pulley,Everett Jewell, Ed Mashman (craziest guy I ever met), Bill Beach, Leroy Crosswell, Joe Capelli, Hugh Blackerby, “Whitey” ???,PhilJohnson ??? Gaines (com center) and many mmore great guys whose names I don’t rcall. How about tose wild poker games in the laundry room? Back to USAFSS HQS,San Antonio to May ’63, then home to Colordo. Jack Hays from Indiana visited me in CO,as did Tim Belchek from Minnesota (?). Met him at HQS/Kelly Kelly. Thanks to all of you, and more for the great memories. 52 and 53 years ago. Wow! All of you be well!!

Posted by Kent Barr | February 15, 2014, 6:13 pm
  61. hey kent, dee Herbert here. I was at Iraklion from aug. 74 to feb 77, trying to get in touch with some guys myself. you are right it was a great place to experience.i was on Charlie flt. some names that I recall were; dave hodge from s.c. lt yastorshock tx john house, Kathy Kelly, tony rulli, gary cosby, rick Johnston, dan sellers, gary delamarter, john dilliard, les hager, brian chontos, jim and marsha hilliard.

Posted by dee herbert | February 16, 2014, 6:14 am
  62. Hey Dee! Thanks for “barkin” at me. Obviously I was 12-15 years earlier than you were, but we both put in time there, so that makes us “Kriti Kin”. I’ve seen a couple of posts from Tim Swainhart, Baker flight in the 61-62 era. I knew him but not real well. We had a great basketball team while I was there. I wasn’t on the Base team but I roomed with a starting guard on those teams, John Paul (Smiley) Miles from PA. Crete won the Med. championship both years I was there — 61-62. You’re absolutely right, a great place to spend a couple of years. And super grat guys to work with. Be well, Sir, and check in from time to time. See ya!

Posted by Kent Barr | February 16, 2014, 6:56 pm
  63. Barr again Dee. I just read an earlier post from you, and from your comment about the “cat” from Memphis breaking some hearts, I’m pretty sure I erred when I called you “Sir”. You are a Lady are you not? Sorry about that! Old guys? We need more help than we know. Be well anyway, and thanks again for the hit.

Posted by Kent Barr | February 16, 2014, 7:04 pm
  64. Hey, Gary McPherson, David Walters. I havent heard from you in years. I was on Crete from 64-67 Are you still in California

Posted by Lawrence Walters | March 10, 2014, 8:37 pm
  65. I was stationed at IAS from late 1960 – late 1962. I worked in Electronic Maintenance. You may have seen me climbing on operator desks stringing communications lines from one desk to another. I replaced Sgt. Blackburn when he left IAS. Looking for an old room mate by the name of Alan Nugent.

Posted by Bill OBrien | March 15, 2014, 11:35 am
  66. Bill O’Brien, your time at IAS almost parallels mine. I worked Baker flight from Aug 60 to Feb 62, and wonder if you could throw a few names my way that you remember from the compound. I have’t been in touch with anyone since 1964. Gettin’ old now, and my time at IAS,and the people I worked with are now suddenly important to me. Thanks and be well.

Posted by Kent Barr | March 25, 2014, 6:46 pm
  67. Hi how are you? A few names yes. Paul Oestriecher, Richard Castile (better known as Frenchy), Alan Nugent. All worked in electronic maint. Made contact with Paul about a yeasr and a half ago. He lives in the New Orleans area. Met with him last spring for about 45 minutes but after 50 plus years it was great.

Posted by Bill OBrien | March 26, 2014, 11:26 am
  68. Thanks Bill. I knew Castile, but not well. We didn’t spend time together. Knew of Nugent by name only. Oestriecher doesn’t ring a bell. I was analyst on Baker flight. Worked with Sgts David, and Seymour, and a bunch of great, but crazy airmen. Did you know of Eddie Mashman and Larry Weaver? Both were intecept opeators, and both were good ops. Both a little on the “crazy” side but fun to work with. I let 53 years get away from me without noticing. But life has been good to me. I hope it has been for you as well. Thanks for your service, Bill. I trust that America has appreciated it. Be well, Sir.

Posted by Kent Barr | March 28, 2014, 4:29 pm
  69. I was stationed there (from Wheelus) summer 1955 to
    mid-1956. Base very small – lived in Dallas Huts,
    had one Mess-Hall, Motor Pool, Radio Station CKLI
    in a quonset hut. Broadcasts reached Iraklion.
    Small gate, locked at night. OPS was in a small
    quonset hut – half for voice intercept, half for
    morse code intercept. Was good duty compated
    to Wheelus Field in Tripoli. Would like to hear
    from anyone who was there at that time….

Posted by Frank P. Sano | April 12, 2014, 7:30 pm
  70. Spent some great time at IAS. Was there the first time from Aug 61 to Feb 63 as x1 and again from Feb 67 to Sep 68as x2. Was on Charlie flight then on Able flight. My supervisor during the first time was TSGT Hunicutt. During the Second time MSGT Gonzales.

Posted by Lloyd Payne | April 19, 2014, 9:13 pm
  71. Crete was wonderful. I went back there TDY in 1991, just before it closed. It had not changed, same two baggers at the commissary.

Posted by Tim Hawkins | April 27, 2014, 1:28 pm
  72. was there 61-62 great time downtown the base was no big ddeal but the way Iraklion and surrounding areas have gotten overrun by aliens is saddening

Posted by jw dant | May 1, 2014, 1:42 pm
  73. Hello To All, My name Is Craig Nash and my Family was stationed @ IAS Crete from September of 79 to september of 81, My Father ran MWR supply and the Summers that Ihad there as a young Juvenile Delinquent were the best Summers of my childhood… MyDad would allow My 2 Younger brothers and I to spend Our entire Summer Camped Out on the Beach right next to the Marina.. Iswam And Snorkeled And Dived All Summer Long.. I kinda felt Like Huckleberry Finn… If anyone that was stationed there at that time is reading this feel free to contact me at my Email Address just put Crete in subject…

Posted by Craig Nash | May 8, 2014, 9:34 pm
  74. Hey all you Cretans. I was stationed at IAS from Dec 1988-Dec 1989 before I had to come back home for a family emergency. I spent a month waiting on a clearance to get into the Compound. I worked for the Cretan Sun to pass the time, and when the time came, they kept me on staff. My fondest memory is arriving in Crete in the dark of night, riding on that curvy mountain road to get to base and being to the ocean is just right there. The next morning, it sure was, with Dia staring back at me.

Posted by Chris Wylie | June 24, 2014, 1:42 pm
  75. Arrived Crete in Sept ’66, thru April ’68. Radio intercept operator… still can hear the code… remember trips down the coast to the caves at Matala on the 4-day breaks… it’s a commercial mess now. Good old days.

Posted by Richard Cecil | July 31, 2014, 3:06 pm
  76. Lloyd Payne, saw your post from April. I was Baker Flight Aug 60 to Feb 62. I knew Mike Connor on Charlie flt from our time in San Angelo. Also knew a tall lanky guy on Abel flt from Goodfellow as well … last name Kruzewski. Also knew Clyde Bethune. He arrived IAS summer 61, and think he was assigned to Abel flt. If you see this, “hit” me. Thanks!

Posted by Kent Barr | August 9, 2014, 8:47 pm
  77. I was the budget NCO in the finance office from May 1966 to October 1967. IAS was a great assignment, I still have dreams of returning there. Loved shooting darts in the NCO club. Jimmy and Lefty were the bar tenders. Anyone out there who remembers me?

Posted by John McGraw | August 19, 2014, 6:00 pm
  78. stationed on crete from 1960 1961 as a diity bopper. i think crete is one of the most beatiful places in the world.

Posted by roger romanik | September 2, 2014, 12:39 pm
  79. i think crete is one of the beatiful places in the world. i was stationed there in 1960 – 1961 as a 292xx..

Posted by roger romanik | September 2, 2014, 12:42 pm
  80. Roger Romanik, we knew each other. I was analyst on Baker flight. Roomed with Jack Hays and Dale Miller. Later with John “Smiley” Miles and Hugh Blackerby. Have recently had contact with Ellis Crabtree and Melvin Cobb, both 292’s on Baker flight same time frame as you and I. If you see this e-mail pat_Parr@comcast.net. Thanks

Posted by Kent Barr | September 3, 2014, 5:13 pm
  81. I was there 1976-77 as a dependent spouse. One of the most beautiful places on earth! Was sad to leave. My husband was in Dawg Co. His name was Roberto (Bob) Moreno. Right after we went home, his brother, Luis Moreno, got stationed there! Would love to hear from anyone who knew us!!

Posted by Ronda Moreno | October 18, 2014, 6:34 pm
  82. I was there mar 63 to aug 64 was an air policeman

Posted by tom petersen | November 23, 2014, 12:18 pm
  83. I was on Crete from AUG 65 to FEB 67. It was a beautiful there. Had a great time.

Posted by Larry McGee | November 26, 2014, 1:11 pm
  84. Hey Dee Herbert! Those were the best times ever! Just stumbled on this website watching a TV show on Crete. My twin sister Cindy passed away from breast cancer in 2002. She was married to Bill Dotson but only for a few years and married again. I retired from AF in 2000 and worked another 10 years for an Electric Coop in Texas where my parents and Cindy and her husband also lived when she died. So great to see my name in your message – brought back great memories ……

Posted by Cathy Kelly | January 3, 2015, 11:11 am
  85. yasoo,this is Robert black. I was stationed at IAS dec76-may79. most everyone would no I played basketball for the base team and the security police. we were the first team to win both the league and base championship the same year 1979. the base team went to the USAFE championship at Rein-Mein Germany 1977. Base team members Dick Brukner Pat Wilson Billy Collins Demaris from Dawg flt. Dave choo choo Ford. Great assignment. Will go back to rock this spring/summer 2015. Would very much like to hear from any and all persons. Peace out.

Posted by robert black | January 4, 2015, 2:07 pm
  86. My Dad Sgt. William (Don) Lovell was stationed from 1960-62 we lived off base on Knosos Road most of that time before moving on base for the last few months. I have been looking for Kath Demas Vegh for some time and was surprised to see her post. Kathy if you see this contact me on FB BTW one of the best places to be as a kid.

Posted by Donna Lovell Owen | January 4, 2015, 4:21 pm
  87. Bill OBrien Sgt. Blackburn spent many hours in our home a bunch of guys used to play music till the wee hours. Blackburn had a huge land yacht with a blow horn he attached to get through the promenades in the square to move.Dad said it was the biggest car on the island. I believe it was Frency who gave me a pigeon for a pet. Our car was an ancient Ford Angela whoses claim to fame was when they ran out of gas Blackburn and Dad poured Oozo and korosen into and it got them back to the base. He had no trouble selling that car. Patty (Martin ) Beech and I are looking for any of the kids there at that time.

Posted by Donna Lovell Owen | January 4, 2015, 5:00 pm
  88. I was a dependent on Crete from May of ’61 to September of ’62. I was one of the seven high school students who did NOT go to Paris to boarding school. My brother Gary and I, with Spike Leet, Bill and Mary Sherman, Brian and Heather Tysinger comprised the unofficial high school. If anyone knows how to contact the Shermans or Spike Leet, please send me an email jpbeech@verizon.net. Thank you!

Posted by Patty Martin Beech | January 4, 2015, 8:30 pm
  89. I was stationed in Crete 75-76 or around then. I was a dental tech and drove the ambulance…ugly stuff sometimes. Some names I remember..Don Breiland – lives in Phoenix, John James – Don knows where he is, Sid Kilcrease – wearing overalls and playing dueling banjos all by himself at NCO club, Jim Gozia (Gozy), Alvin Shirley – NCO of dental clinic, Mike Carroll (wife, Bev worked in the dental clinic) Mike passed away a couple of years ago, Bev lives in Phoenix. There was a big deal with an pharmacy tech being found dead off base right before I left. Anyone remember that?

Posted by Sandi Wilson Booth | January 5, 2015, 10:56 am
  90. Question: For those of you that have returned on vacation…how different is it? And why can’t we capture that feeling and fun we had when we were there in our older years? Are we wiser..or stupid?

Posted by Sandi Wilson Booth | January 5, 2015, 10:58 am
  91. I was there as a dependent 76-77. My (then) husband, Bob, was on Dawg flight. I am still in contact with Billy Collins. He returned to his home state of LA, stationed on Barksdale AFB. He’s no longer active but remains in that area. Do you remember Mike Rierson? I still get together with his ex-wife Diane, even tho she’s in Pittsburgh and I’m in Indiana. I stood up with her when she married Mike in Crete!

Posted by Ronda Moreno | January 5, 2015, 12:22 pm
  92. I didn’t know Sgt. Blackburn on a social basis our’s was work related. He was transferred out shortly after we started to work together. Do remember the days of the big American cars used by most taxicab drivers. What a hoot. The Frenchy I knew was Richard Castile from either New York or New Jersey can’t remember which. I do remember he used to tell us he knew the Supremes. He worked in radio maintenance as I did. Did meet up with Paul Oestreicher last year on a trip to New Orleans. Hadn’t seen him in 50 plus years. He did tell me that Frenchy stopped in to see him a few years back out of the blue. As with most I have fond memories of Crete. Anybody have a line on Allen Nugent a roommate on Crete?

Posted by Bill OBrien | January 7, 2015, 11:18 am
  93. Hi Kent, Sorry for the late reply I don’t visit the site very often but I’ll have to mend my ways. Sorry I didn’t know many operators by name. You guys were always so busy. :-) Yes now it’s 54 years ago. But still many fond memories. Glad life has been good to you. It has been good to me as well. Now living in So. Arizona with my wife of 6 years. My first. She was in the Marine Corps so you you know I must fly on the straight and narrow. :-)

Posted by Bill OBrien | January 7, 2015, 11:32 am
  94. Bill O’brien … Great to hear from you again. I trust you have been well. I’ll soon turn 77, and have a couple of physical issues, but I still get sun-rises. Not bad, is it. Ed Masahman, MIO, Baker flight 1960-62, called me about three weeks ago. What a treat after 53 years. Did you know him? I’m in Colorado, my home state. Worked at Coors Brewing Co for 27 years. Retired in 1993. When you can, check in please. E-mail pat_parr@comcast.net. Be well!

Posted by Kent Barr | January 9, 2015, 3:23 pm
  95. Hi again, I’m heading for 73 next month still in good health. No I’m afraid I didn’t know Ed. Lived in Castle Rock, Colorado from 1982 – 1986. Moved to Arizona after the facility I worked at closed. Found employment at the VA Medical center in Tucson and retired in 2005.

Posted by Bill OBrien | January 10, 2015, 11:18 pm
  96. Hi Bill. Thanks for the up-date. Stay in touch, and if you hear from, or otherwise get leads on guys from our time at 6930th, please send them my way. I would like to re-connect with many more. Do you remember that great Base basketball team from ’61 and ’62? They won the Med championship in ’61? Great memories from our time there. Take care! KB

Posted by Kent Barr | January 11, 2015, 8:08 pm
  97. Hello, my father was SSgt. James Rayburn “Ray” Speegle in the 6930th. We joined him at Wheelus AFB in early 1959, and then we wound up at Iraklion in 1960 when the group (apparently) was closing out in Tripoli. Ever the “Silent Warrior,” Dad rarely provided many details on the “why” and the “what.” I was in the 5th and 6th grades. We spent lots of time at the base beach, the beaches around Malia, and hiking up in the hills that were across the highway. Dad died in 1984. If there is anyone who remembers him, I would enjoy hearing from you.

Posted by Cathy Speegle | January 21, 2015, 4:26 pm
  98. Cathy I believe we were in the 5th grade together, at the time 4th & 5th grades were combined. My brother Bill Lovell was in the 4th grade class. We were there 60 through 62 Mr. Canty who was the school principle was my 6th grade teacher.

Posted by Donna Lovell Owen | January 23, 2015, 1:07 am
  99. Sandi, I hear you are going back to Crete in Sept. Should be a blast. Looking forward to seeing you again and to catch up. It will be almost exactly 40 yrs since Don and I left the Rock so this reunion will also be the anniversary of our DOS. Jeff Brown, also from Baker flight, will be there, too. Can’t wait.

Posted by John James | January 24, 2015, 9:21 am
  100. Donna, that sounds right! The teacher I remember is Miss Krolick. Does that ring a bell?

Posted by Cathy Speegle | January 24, 2015, 12:54 pm
  101. my dad was stationed here fron jan 1967 to jan 1969, his name was Joe Murray, the greatest place we were stationed as a kid growing up. Still talk about all the fun i had living on the island of Crete

Posted by Gary Murray | February 10, 2015, 1:29 pm
  102. Kathy yes Ms Krolick was our fifth grade teacher, she taught 4th and 5th grades together. You can contact me on FB Donna Owen

Posted by Donna Lovell Owen | February 16, 2015, 4:00 am
  103. Donna, there are multiple women on Facebook with your name. It might easier to find me, as I am the only “Cathy Speegle San Antonio TX.”

Posted by Cathy Speegle | February 16, 2015, 6:32 pm
  104. Hey John Schenck, this is Jim Hubert, IAS ’65-’66. Remember the trips to town in the RED Bomb and you, Tip and me and our trip over to Athens during a shift break. I still have a picture of the three of us after we climbed up to the Acropolis. It would be great to hear from you. Send me an e mail at jimhubert45@gmail.com.

Posted by Jim Hubert | February 21, 2015, 6:14 pm
  105. I am a man in 63+ originating Iraklion crete, having great memories of Ai Base Men.
    I looking for many guys, but specially to :
    Bill Franklin Wilkins and family,,,gaety, belinda , jane and Billy. They were stationed Iraklion around 1963 and were coming from arkansas…
    any news are welcom.
    Thanks to all of you

Posted by Nicholas Mavricakis | February 24, 2015, 2:25 pm
  106. Stationed at Iraklion mid 58 to mid 59 after leaving Ashiya AFB in Japan. Extended my enlistment to get there rather than spend my last year in the states. Intercept and net opr. Remember great bike rides into the hills and exploring the island. Experienced my first earthquake there. Many other great memories.

Posted by David Waters | March 1, 2015, 7:12 am
  107. Wow! My father was stationed there in the mid 60’s. What an enchanting place! My best childhood memories are rooted there. I remember the dancing bear, the fruit man with his horse and wagon, the taxi guy, the bicycle ice cream peddler(pardon the pun, being pinched on the cheeks by the locals on their way to the beach. I remember when the lights went out, the soldiers appearing with guns at dusk during the coup, the open air market, the ride to school along the cliffs, getting sunburned on the beach. My most vivid memory is of almost drowning and a gentleman pulling me up after I had given up and went under. I remember seeing the lifeguard climbing down from a white towered chair as my unknown savior carried me back to the beach. My parents were playing cards and didn’t see me. If any one knows who this is please drop me a line. I would very much like to thank him. I remember Knossos while the maze was still open, the dancing, the plate breaking, the spaghetti with no sauce, the bread, the caves, the man who sold us a cobalt blue flokati rug. The sheep having the right of way, the silence of the afternoons when everything came to an absolute halt. The donkeys with the wooden saddles and the skeletons inside the big, narrow and tall clay pots at the museum….and so on…all I remember about my father’s work was that it was at the “mouse-ears”??? The gloriously wonderful souvlakis, the snails and all the slurping noises that went with eating them. Feta cheese and salad with no lettuce! I do not miss the bleach in the water, but everything else I miss sorely!

Posted by Belinda Wilkins-Smith | March 11, 2015, 6:54 pm
  108. Belinda Wilkins-Smith, enjoyed your recollections, many of which matched mine when we lived at IAS in 1959-60. I was in 5th grade. There is a very good Facebook group called: Iraklion Air Station, Crete. It is a closed group, but dependents are made welcome. Address your request to join to the admin Gary McPherson and include your father’s name and approx. time he was at IAS. You will enjoy everyone’s reminisces and many, many photos, including those “mouse ears.”

Posted by Cathy Speegle | March 13, 2015, 7:51 pm
  109. Wow, what memories. Stationed at IAS 6931st between April 79 to March 81. Shout outs to anyone stationed there during this time. My wife and I were on Able Flight with Wayne Babb as S&WC NCO. It was definately a time of youth and naivete.
    Thanks for the sat shot. Buildings seem to be all there, some new, some old.

Posted by Matt Gambill | April 1, 2015, 2:25 pm
  110. CLELL LEWIS:Like to make contact with you if you get this post.I’m working on a story about the Cross on the MT across from IAS.,In case you did not know we have a great site on face Book with over 2000 members. called Iraklion Air Station Crete.Love to have you.

Posted by GARY MCPHERSON | May 19, 2015, 10:38 pm
  111. If your looking for lost friends go to the Face Book site Iraklion Air Station Crete.Over 2000.members there from the mid 50s to 1994.If your on FB please put something on your page showing your connected to Crete so we can add you.

Posted by GARY MCPHERSON | May 19, 2015, 10:46 pm
  112. Ken Jenkins – would that be “Bearcat” ? I was there ’67-68, Medical Service Specialist – 90250 Sgt. I think two rooms down from you in the barracks. I roomed with Sonny Newsome, then Denny Cicchino. Crete is a part of my DNA now. Adio

Posted by Phillip Morton | August 16, 2015, 9:43 pm
  113. As a humble and simple ole 81150 security policeman, what’s the difference between a 202 vs. 292? Us ordinary folks were not allowed into the bowels of the “compound” during 1972-74 years!!! Have a great day fellow 6931st and Cretans!

Posted by Robb Carpenter | September 8, 2015, 4:45 pm
  114. To Leslie C. Westbrook Hey guy along time since Malia and the Minotauros. E-mail me or hit me up on FB have some great photos of the guys then and now.including Capt. Edler

Posted by Harold Siverd | September 17, 2015, 1:25 pm
  115. Anyone remember willie “lump” Gadson. He is in Walter Reed medical center Bethesda, MD.If so give him shout.

Posted by Willie Sutton | October 1, 2015, 11:14 am
  116. Reading about Dee Herbert searching for Cathy Kelly and hearing the names I havent heard in years.74-75-76.I have photos of John “dill pickel” Dillard, Steve Fontinote-his wife-beautiful blonde. Jim Goza catcher for dog flt. I have heard many other names and wonder how they are. Cosby, Turnbull andy Sablan.many others.

Posted by Doug Bryan | October 3, 2015, 7:41 pm
  117. Great memories galore!!
    Does anyone remember when we had great times at the NCO club?? (occasionally the officers club too!!)
    God bless you all
    CD King
    Your 79-80 DJ

Posted by C.D.King | October 10, 2015, 12:00 am
  118. Just a simple thank you to all who served our great country over the years, especially those who served in the Air Force’ security command.

Posted by Robb Carpenter | November 11, 2015, 7:00 am
  119. Your thanks are well received. A special thanks to you too.
    God bless you.