6927th

Dad holding Me in Okinawa

Dad and Me in Okinawa

That’s my Dad holding me in Okinawa where I was born. This was my Dad’s first duty station after completing Radio Intercept School in Keesler AFB, Mississippi. Dad was assigned to the 6927th RSM at Onna Point.

36 comments for “Dad holding Me in Okinawa”

1. Many memories from our first home and first two babies. The most vivid is taking you and your brother John downtown to shop. We always drew a crowd, two blonde babies in a sea of blackhaired Okinawans. It was a beautiful place then. It was country, rice paddies for miles and the most beautiful blue-green water.The people were so kind and polite.The food was great, we lived on the beach and I remember hearing the drums at night during the Obon festival (August I believe) It was hard leaving. Mom

Posted by Carole Hendrix | April 1, 2009, 6:06 pm
  2. What a great site!

I was a ditty-bop with USAFSS. Sure enjoyed reading your page and its links. Went through Keesler in 1963-64, Okinawa 6927th (Hanza DF site)in 1964-65, then 2-T to Det 95 Karamursel Turkey 1965-67. Got married to a local Turkish girl who worked in the BX, my wife now 45 years.

Got out, came back flying, and retired in 1990. We have 4 grown kids, all raised in the Air Force.

Okinawa is still probably my best tour; really enjoyed it. No money but good friends and lots of fun! Still have contact with a few of them.

am also a radio ham so continue to practice my Morse techniques. Its still music to the ear, but as I age the fist gets a little less precise.

Jim, K0GAE

Posted by Jim Abbit | April 11, 2009, 4:59 pm
  3. Thanks for your comment, Jim. I don’t remember a thing about Okinawa — Dad left when I was almost 3 years old and then we went to Darmstadt. I also joined the Air Force when I grew up. Raised 4 kids while in as well (3 of them are in the Army now). Met and married my wife (she was Army) at Goodfellow. I am also a ham radio operator.

Brian, N0DBH

Posted by admin | April 11, 2009, 5:25 pm
  4. How could I forget the typhoons??!!Anybody who was stationed there would remember. If you were were not pregnant before, you certainly were afterward. We were locked up tight for a good 24 hours. I remember Bill and Jan Burwell knocking on our door while the storm was raging, with 2 little girls. Pinochle time. Mom

Posted by Carole Hendrix | April 21, 2009, 5:09 pm
  5. Greetings from beautiful Okinawa. My wife and I are visiting for the first time since 1977. Was at Onna Point 65-66, Kadena 67-70 in USAFSS and Kadena 73-77 in real AF. One son born here in 69 and the other one in 77. Just missed you dad at Keesler and I was in Bremerhaven when he was at Darmstadt. Its a whole lot different now but I still love it. Have to go home next week but I don’t want to. Carole. you’re right about the typhoons. Last two times we were here my wife got pregnant. Sure hope one don’t hit in the next week. She has really enjoyed seeing her family for the first time in over 30 years.

Posted by Jim Weiss | August 8, 2009, 7:38 pm
  6. Every USAFSS dedication site is one less chance that it will be forgotten. Thank you for fond memories of your Dad and the USAFSS he knew. I enlisted a few months after your Dad and finished Radio Traffic Analyst school at Goodfellow in 1960. Was in Samsun, Turkey then to USAFSS HQ Kelly AFB where I made A1C. Thanks again for more USAFSS history with your fine site.

Posted by Dave Matteson | August 23, 2009, 1:02 pm
  7. I was at Onna Point 65-66. Most vivid memories are of hot cinnamon buns at nco club, a giant fan blowing some chemical mist to get rid of mosquitoes , the inside of the barracks coated with powder to get rid of crab lice and the first place bowling trophy I won and still have that our flight won.

Posted by Peter Opper | May 1, 2010, 9:21 am
  8. I was, and am, a Marine. I was stationed at Camp Onna Point 1973 and 74 with 3rd Bn. Recon. What a blast. We spent a lot of time in the surf and did a lot of cliffe snorkeling. There was a large cave that you could only get to by diving under the rocks and coming up in the cave. It was funny because there was a 1965(?) 175 cc twin Honda in there. Great times and good memories.

Posted by Ben Drake | June 26, 2010, 4:51 pm
  9. Was a Chinese linguist at Onna from Oct ’58 to Apr ’60.

The web site has, among other things, a contact list with over 1,400 names that we hav compiled over the 13 years the site has been in existence.

If you aren’t on the list and want to be added, see the directions at the contact list portal on the site and contact me with your info.

Regards.
    Steve Feit
    6927th RSM
    October 19580 April 1960

Posted by Stee Feit | September 14, 2010, 6:21 pm
  10. PS- The URL for the 6927th Web site is 6927.53merc.com It contains limks that will link you to me via e-mail.

S.

Posted by Stee Feit | September 14, 2010, 6:23 pm
  11. Was a dity booper on C flight at the Point from 12/66 to 8/68 Went to San Vito, Italy until 12/69.

Lots of good memories–scuba, shooting the “V”, base softball, and mid-day breaks.

Posted by phil (Thunder) Thornton | November 19, 2010, 10:31 am
  12. Love the comments–hot rolls at the NCO club!!! I just gained 2 pounds thinking of them. Was an Air Policeman at the point 1965 to 67. I remember “role call” at the Club Boston after mids, and that our mess hall was heaven for the Army Nike guys up on the hill above us. Also basketball during typhoons–you could toss the ball full court!! I returned to Oki as an Army MP in 1974 at Zukeran.

Posted by Jim LeVangie | November 29, 2010, 8:19 pm
  13. Served over 20 years in USAFSS. Great tour at JSPC, Torii Station, 64-67. Great memories of tour, friends from Onna Point, Jim Norwood, Santiago Vega, and others. Daughter born in Army Hospital in 65. Still in contgact with old friends, Jim Norwood, Dick Winegar, Jim Hurley and others. USAFSS people best of the best.

Posted by Robert (Bob) Jeter | April 4, 2011, 3:06 pm
  14. Was a “202″ from June 68 until
    December 69…Great guys ..good
    duty…enjoyed the football,
    softball and sitting on the
    bench watching our good base
    basketball team…

Posted by Jonathan Dodge | April 10, 2011, 10:37 am
  15. I was at Lackland 9-8-58 to 10-09-58. Moved to keesler in the dark.I did casual assignments until class started 12038. Graduated 06039. Left for Okinawa July 3rd. Train fromBloomington,IN to Chicago, then to San Fran.,ca. got to Travis early the next day. Took off, 11hrs later landed At Hawaii,etc,etc. was on Able Trick living in the new nike barricks. I started copying general admin. 2months later I was advanced to copying hard to read sites. May,1960 voluntered for a special mission. I now know this unit was working for the CIA out of Thilof July,1960.and. To tell you how deep we were is another book. I can say if anyone is interested, We can communicate email–
    Returned to 6927th rsm The end

Posted by steven minnick | August 23, 2011, 10:07 pm
  16. Mr. Minnick your saga sounds exactly like mine,only mine occurred thanksgiving of 1957. I honestly don’t remember how Harold LLoyd and I got to Keesler, but pulled KP on Thanksgiving 1957. To this day can not stand cranberry sauce. Jim carter

Posted by Jimmie Carter | September 19, 2011, 4:57 pm
  17. I was a hospital corpsman at Camp Onna Point 3rd recon., around 1973 to 1974. This was my first duty station with the Marines Corps. I was only 21, and I have fond memories of that place. I was treated extremely well by the marines there and also the Okinawans that lived near the base. We were all so young. I remember going on a tour with my platoon on the USS Okinawa. What a wild fun trip that was. I am proud of my time with the Marines.

Posted by Bruce Helm | October 16, 2011, 1:50 am
  18. I was at Onna point 1961and2.Took good care of you Ditty Boppers.

Posted by John Yingling | December 21, 2011, 1:54 pm
  19. Was there in 57 and 58 as a admin. clerk. I made the mistake of getting ” short ” and came state side. Loved every moment at Onna Pt. and the USAFSS.

Lou Claytor

Posted by Lou Claytor | February 12, 2012, 7:47 am
  20. I was a diddy bopper @ Onna Point ni ’69-’70. Great tour, nice little base and the best dining hall on the island. My best friend nd roommate in the old single story dorm was Dick Burda. I would lovw to find him. He was from southern california. We went through Keesler together and then to Okinawa together. I was at Kadena in ’76 after a stint in Thailand (NKP and Korat, closing those bases down). Took a run up to Onna Point and it appeared the Marines to over the site. On satellite pictures it appears the whole base has now disappeared. Loved snorkeling at the point. A good friend of mine, MSgt Ben Williams drowned there July 4th, 1976. It was a very sad day.

Posted by Steve Nance | February 16, 2012, 9:55 pm
  21. What an EXCELLENT site! I was assigned to the 6990th at Kadena November 1976 – May 1978, but I was hardly ever there. I was sent there to work the ‘ground’ side, but got assigned to the COMSEC team, so I was TDY to Osan, Clark, and Hickam the WHOLE eighteen months! I played basketball for the squadron team. It was tough duty . . . (NOT!), but I grew up a LOT during my time there and met (and worked with) a LOT a good people!

Posted by Bobby Clark | July 3, 2012, 9:25 am
  22. Great site! I was with 3rd recon Brovo Co. 1st plt. in 73. Lt. James Goff was my commander. I also remember Sgt. Ben Drake. I loved that base and all the guys I served with, but loss touch with them all.
    Doc Webber, if your out there give me a radio check!
    L/cpl Rose

Posted by Wayne Rose | July 4, 2012, 8:08 am
  23. Great little base and a wonderful tour — convinced me to make a 30-yr career of the AF. Went from Onna Point to Vietnam, England, Misawa, Kelly, Iraklion, Augsburg, Ramstein, and Ft Meade.

Posted by Dick Burda | August 16, 2012, 4:01 pm
  24. My dad, Eugene W. Briggs, was with the 6927th, stationed at Onna Point from 1963-1966 and then again from 68-71. I grew up on Okinawa and have absolutely wonderful memories of the island. While we did live on base, we also lived off-base in Awasi and Chibana….

Posted by Trish Salveson | October 23, 2012, 5:06 pm
  25. i worked in supply (645)at onna point from 1967 until 1969

Posted by a1c leon johnson | November 20, 2012, 7:33 am
  26. iseen the name of a couple guys i knew. les upton and sonny collins

Posted by a1c leon johnson | November 20, 2012, 7:37 am
  27. two years in a row we were the base flag football champions

Posted by a1c leon johnson | November 20, 2012, 7:39 am
  28. I am a retired Marine that was with 3dRecon in 71/72. No better place to be stationed. Great snorkeling and scuba diving, rock climbing, and even did some training down at White Beach on the sub USS Greyback.

Posted by Tom Scheib | December 7, 2012, 2:31 pm
  29. I was stationed at ona point from Jan 1976-Jan 1977. It was my favorite duty station in the Marine Corps. I wish I could reconnect with the Marines I worked with in Motor Transport.Gy Joseph Lastrap was the MTC at the time. My cell # is 432-209-2070.

Posted by Bill Rodriguez | May 8, 2013, 3:02 pm
  30. Was stationed at Onna Point from Aug 60 to
    Jan 62. Tall skinny guy and played baseball
    With the Kadena Falcons team, first base.
    292 ditty bopper. Having some trouble trying
    To remember guys I spent 1-1/2 yrs of my
    Life with.

Posted by Jack Perham | May 26, 2013, 9:58 pm
  31. I was at Onna Point 1956 Dec to 1957.
    Tour was for 18 months.
    Pulled guard duty before we were sent to Onna Point.
    Great duty station. Site was patroled by armed guards.
    Went off post when I was not supposed to do so by crawling under fence through a ditch that had com. lines run from antenna site.
    Loved Okinawa. Should have stayed but came back to Keesler as radio
    instructor.

Posted by Mahone, Jesse l. | June 23, 2013, 5:58 pm
  32. Served on the Pernt (as we called it) from early 68 til late 69. I rember Bob Jeter and Thunder Thornton from above posts. Went to Nam after Okinawa. Still have a reunion every few years with a few of the guys and are having one in August of this year.

Posted by Doug Fig Newton | July 21, 2013, 6:29 pm
  33. Joined AF Ap-01-1957. Sent to intercept operator-school at Kessler AFB until NO-57. I met my wife-to-be when on leave before going to the rock for 1 1/2 years. We got married summer of 59 before going to Bremerhaven where my wife and I enjoyed 3 years of life on the economy. It’s been a great 1/2+ century for us and still counting.

Posted by Galen Mears | December 5, 2013, 5:55 am
  34. Arrived at Onna Point in July of 1962 and left for Crete in January of 1964. I was on “A” Flight. Names I remember: Tony Ciardella, Jack Dietz, Reuben Perazza, Ernie Cecil, Tom Brooks, Tony Bendenelli, Richard Benson, Stanley Doggett, and on and on and on. I was stationed there when President Kennedy was shot. It was a great tour of duty. SK BT

Posted by Dennis Chick | February 19, 2014, 7:03 am
  35. I would like to hear from Marines I served with at Onna Point Jan. 76-Jan 77. I remember Sgt White, CPL Gerwig, Rand, Cpl Lewis, Frank Aguilar, GySgt Lastrape and many more. My address is 306 S E Ave E Seminole, Texas 79360.Would love to reconnect for a possible re-union. It would be nice to reconnect Marines! Hoorah!!

Posted by Bill Rodriguez | March 19, 2014, 1:10 pm
  36. Only visited Oona Point while the 6927th was being built. My time April 54-Sept 55 was with the Flt “A”/Det 1 29th RSM and on May 8th 1955 we became the 6927th Security Flight, all working out of Yontan Afld. Was a 29352/29370 C/W intercept op. Assigned here after a 3 year tour with 2ndRSM Darmstadt GE. and a almost 2 year instructor duty at Keesler. Went on a Consec tour back to Darmstadt and the 6911th RSM, 55-57

Posted by Paul Laffitte | April 12, 2014, 12:52 pm