292

Radio Intercept Operators

I found a really interesting paper written by SMSgt James M. Houle who was a SNCOA student in February of 1996. The title was “Essay on Morse Code Operators in the Air Force.” It gave some good explanations of what my Dad probably did early on in the USAFSS. I’ve included a link below to the file here on the website:

Essay on Morse Code Operators in the Air Force

211 comments for “Radio Intercept Operators”

1. To Paul Smith: It seems our career paths were the same. 6917th Dawg flt 63-65. NCo school at Goodfellow and then the 6931st 64-66 Able/Easy 3. We must have rubbed elbows at the mess hall. I was a 292 ditty chaser.

Posted by Harold Garvey | November 13, 2015, 8:18 am
  2. I was with the 6917th Dawg Flt 66-68. 292
    Good duty. Went back to KAFB then to Nha Trang with the 6994th

Posted by Joe Marshall | November 13, 2015, 10:54 pm
  3. I was with the 6917th Dawg Flt 67-68. 292
    Good duty. Went back to KAFB then to Nha Trang with the 6994th

Posted by Joe Marshall | November 13, 2015, 10:55 pm
  4. I was with the 6917th Dawg Flt 67-68. 292
    Good duty. Went back to KAFB

Posted by Joe Marshall | November 13, 2015, 10:56 pm
  5. Harvey,
    I was on Baker Flight and Dog Flight. I have a photo of class 03043 Intercept Graduation Class but unfortunately I cannot identify all of the members. If I remember, only a few us were assigned to San Vito Dei Normanni. I do remember standing on the steps of the Apian Way in Brindisi when we were called back to base after Kennedy was shot.

Posted by Paul Smith | November 15, 2015, 3:51 pm
  6. erved at Wakkanai from 1959-1960 as a 20230, promoted to A1C to go to Germany. I was on Baker Flight.
    Served at Darmstadt Germany as a 20250 1960-1963 promoted to SSGT.
    Married a German, lost security clearance then mustered out of service.
    Came home, next day they shoot President Kennedy, my wife freaked out.
    Got into a brand new up and coming field called “Computers”. Had a good career, made a good living but was forced into retirement at age of 60 due to company outsource all programming to a company in India. Retired since then. Latest project is writing my autobiography (since nobody else will) dedicated to my four ex-wives and two grandchildren, who never really new me. If anybody new me in Wakkanai please email donmcbroom@hotmail.com. In spare time I was the Drum Major of our Drum and Bugle Corp.
    Most important project is to Reclaim America. Take this survey
    If you would like to study the document before completing the Survey, you can click on the URL below:

Posted by Donald E McBroom | December 7, 2015, 8:22 am
  7. I was stationed at 6952nd RSM from March 196- to Nov 1962. I have serious tinnitus that I believe came from being a morse intercept operator. Does anyone else out there have the same problem? The VA turned me down for assistance…..

Posted by James North | January 22, 2016, 8:35 pm
  8. I too have tinnitus and have a 10% military disability as a result. Re apply. I was a 29251 from ’65 to ’69.

Posted by Joe Marshall | January 23, 2016, 7:21 am
  9. Was a ditty-bopper for four years–6918th and 6924th. VA awarded me a 10% service connected disability for tinnitus.

Posted by Ken Marchman | January 23, 2016, 8:38 am
  10. I was in Okinawa from ’60 – 61, and then in Germany from 61 – 64, then at Kelley from 64 – 66 when I took a discharge from the AF because I had been recruited by NSA. I was with them for ten years until 1976. I was a 292 “ditty bopper” all those years. I have a constant ringing in my ears also, and a 20% hearing loss. However, I have always attributed that to possible high blood pressure and now (sadly) old age. I have always told my wife and friends my poor hearing is a result of wearing headphones for so many years. Could be tinnitus, but don’t know……….and as such, I wouldn’t know what to do about it. Thanks for the info on the problem.

Posted by Richard Barringer | January 23, 2016, 9:35 am
  11. My medical records indicate I lost 50% of my hearing in my right ear but I have been denied VA benefits.
    A local reporter learned about Security Service and wrote an article called “Elite Group of Men”. It was published in the Stars and Stripes last month. You may still be able to google “Elite Group of Men” The Easley Progress” if interested.

Posted by Paul Smith | January 24, 2016, 10:02 am