292

Radio Intercept Operators

I found a really interesting paper written by SMSgt James M. Houle who was a SNCOA student in February of 1996. The title was “Essay on Morse Code Operators in the Air Force.” It gave some good explanations of what my Dad probably did early on in the USAFSS. I’ve included a link below to the file here on the website:

Essay on Morse Code Operators in the Air Force

279 comments for “Radio Intercept Operators”

1. I was in the 6925th in 61 and 62, “D” Flight. What a great time! Karamursel in 66-68…hated it, then finished up at Security Hill.

Posted by Bob Herr | March 3, 2017, 5:06 pm
  2. Radio school Kessler, additional training Brooks AFB, San Antonio. Shipped to 10th. Radio Squadron Mobile, RAF Chicksands (Bedford, England), then deployed with unit to DF site at RAF Edzell in Scotland for remainder of tour. Anyone out there might know?

Posted by Richard (Dick) Bieset | May 19, 2017, 1:08 pm
  3. I am looking for anyone that was stationed at Wasserkuppe mountain Germany in the 1950-60 time frame, this is extremely important as we have dedicated a monument to the Cold War veterans and need to find out if an English “Signals” unit was ever at that location…I cannot stress enough the importance of this inquiry which, hopefully, will get widest possible dissemination.
    Jim Harkins
    “Silent Sentinels” memorial
    Telephone 813-816-8407

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by James J. Harkins IV | May 19, 2017, 3:31 pm
  4. I am looking for anyone that was in the 6927th Squadron on Onna Point between 1964 – 1966 “C” Trick

Posted by Edward Amber II | June 16, 2017, 8:20 am
  5. FYI the British intercept unit at Wasserkuppe prio to 85RMS was RAF 889 Signals
    Jim Harkins

Posted by Jim Harkins | June 16, 2017, 9:35 am
  6. Can’t really help you out there partner, but I was there from 60 – 61. My grand daughter who is a 1st Lt. in the Air Force was in Okie just a while back and visited the old site. She said it was a great place to go snorkeling or scuba diving……….but that nothing remained that would let her know our base was there. I had showed her some photos of the Point.

Posted by Richard Barringer | June 16, 2017, 10:22 am
  7. Anyone out there that was at the 6950th RGM Chicksands, England 61-64

And especially on Dec 31st 1962 when they broadcast ” Merry Christmas to the 6950th RGM ” ??

Posted by Bruce L Buchler | June 16, 2017, 10:28 am
  8. Was in the 6913th in Bremerhaven from 62-65

Posted by Richard Barringer | June 16, 2017, 11:22 am
  9. If you were at linkou 6987th in Taiwan in 1957 and 1958 and or Darmstadt 6911thrgm in 1959 and 1960,I was on dog trick at both,give me a post.

Posted by CLIFFORD KOPPELMAN | June 16, 2017, 12:58 pm
  10. Peshawar Pakistan 1961
    Bremerhaven Germany 1962 1963
    Osan Korea 1963 1964

Posted by Tom Sherba | August 12, 2017, 6:44 pm
  11. I was stationed at 6927th Onna Point from Aug. 1958 to Feb. 1960, Charlie trick. Great Duty and same fun. Still in touch with some of the guys and have attended some of the 6927th reunions. If anyone out there was stationed at the same time would be good to hear from you.
    Don Molzon

Posted by Donald Molzon | September 25, 2017, 1:14 pm
  12. Hey Don
    Bob Barringer here. I was at the Point in 60 through August 61. I was a 292 working on Able. You are right, it was good duty. I left there and went to the 6913th in Bremerhaven, Germany for 3 years……….Now that was also some good duty……give me a shout…

Posted by Richard (Bob) Barringer | September 25, 2017, 6:17 pm
  13. WW11–1943-1946.
    Volunteered for the draft out of high school Feb 1943, (Johnstown, Pa)
    Air Force basic at Atlantic City, sent to Camp Wood, NJ, more Army basic training,
    then to Ft Monmouth to get our MOS 739J
    training. Shipped to Camp Pinedale, via Hammer Air Field, California in the fall, spent Thanksgiving at a post on top of San Bruno Mt, outside of
    San Francisco

Posted by Michael S Nitka | October 1, 2017, 4:28 pm
  14. Graduated fm Global C&E Systems A Class 13010 with a graduation date of 7 12 60. My whole class was assigned to Okinawa, Onna Point fm 1960 thru 1962. Was assigned to Baker Flight. Interested in hearing from anyone stationed same time frame. Most of Baker went consecutive tour to England.

Posted by Gary Fry | October 1, 2017, 5:16 pm
  15. Knew a Gary Fry at Karamursal AS, Turkey, 1966-68. Was a ditty bopper, E-5.

Posted by Bob Herr | October 2, 2017, 12:05 pm
  16. Gary………Bob Barringer here. I was on Onna from 1960 – 1961 and true to form, was assigned to the 6913th in Bremerhaven, Germany after the Okie tour. Went home and got married on leave before reporting to Germany. I was on Able flight. So I am sure we met at some time or other……Good to hear from guys who were there at the same time I was……..

Posted by Richard (Bob) Barringer | October 3, 2017, 6:42 am
  17. It is with great sadness to announce the passing of SSGT William (Bill) Lock.. Bill was stationed at the 6981st from 1965-1967 and worked on “D” Flt as a 292.. Prior to being stationed at the 81st he had tours to Misawa and Shymia.. RIP Bill….

Posted by John J Lesniak | October 10, 2017, 10:16 am
  18. I am the daughter of CMSgt Ollie W. Clark, who was part of the 6911th and was stationed in Darmstadt, Frankfurt and Iraklion Crete. I was born in Wiesbaden Germany in 1959 and I believe my dad was stationed in Darmstadt at that time. My mom says that Wiesbaden was the closet base for maternity. I don’t know his whole military career and am looking for information from anyone who might know some of the security service 6911th mobile radio squadron’s history and duties. I know he enlisted at 15 yrs old into the Army somewhere in 1947 and later was part of the formation of the USAF security service 6911th mobile radio unit. He was in Germany sometime from 1955-60 and then in San Antonio TX from 60-62 or 63; to Frankfurt from 62-63-67 and then stationed in Iraklion Crete from 67-69 returning to Darmstadt Germany in 69. IN ’69 he became illl and was sent back to the states and was on temporary disability for several years to determine his capacity to return to active duty status. He officially retired as Chief Master Sargent from the Air Force in 1974.

Posted by Connie Clark | October 10, 2017, 11:35 pm
  19. My dad was in the Air Force in 1957 over in Germany he was a radio intercept operator class 18066 I was just trying to see if anybody remember Ted Roblow just any any stories of him or anything that anybody could remember he recently passed away November 14th and he never spoke very much of his Air Force days

Posted by Brian Roblow | December 4, 2017, 10:37 pm
  20. well, I finally got the VA to give me a set of hearing aids. Only took a little over a year and a half, and three separate hearing test to do it, but it is done. I was a diddy bopper and seven years and like most other 292s’ I had lost about 20% hearing. But yes I would gladly do it all again. Spent 18 months at Onna Point in Okinawa (1960 – 1961) then three years in Bremerhaven, Germany. After Bremerhaven, I went to Brooks AFB in San Antonio and from there was recruited by the NSA while on a TDY in California. What a time………..

Posted by Richard Barringer | December 5, 2017, 12:40 pm
  21. Hi Richard,

I was stationed in Bremerhaven from 1962 – 1964 — tour cut short and I went to Laon France until 1965. While in Germany, I was a 292 on Charlie Flight. Hung out with John Spears and Tom Steck. It’s always good to hear from some of the old gang from Security Service. Take care, Richard (Dick) Beach

Posted by Dick Beach | December 5, 2017, 1:27 pm
  22. 1961 – 1964 Chicksands, England with a break in 1962 for Special Ops to Brindisi Italy. My QSA IMI is still clicking and I ditty bopped my way across Britain.
    NSA wanted me too in 64′ as a civilian Special Operative in Japan. I declined. Had had enough. Anyone out there remember the Christmas of 63′ when the Comrades sent a ” Merry Christmas ” to us all ??

Posted by Bruce L Buchler | December 5, 2017, 1:36 pm
  23. Hi Bruce……….sadly I don’t remember the Merry Christmas………fill me in so my memory may come back…….and thanks

Posted by Richard Barringer | December 5, 2017, 6:29 pm
  24. Hi Dick – We must have been there at the same time…I was on Able flight and played a little intermural football on the Mox Nix team…….my first two kids (2 or 3) were born in Bremerhaven and my last was born in San Antonio. Sad to say that my middle child, the girl that was born in Bremerhaven passed away just last month. Might be a sad Christmas but we will struggle through…Have a great and Merry Christmas…

Posted by Richard Barringer | December 5, 2017, 6:32 pm
  25. Richard,

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. My prayers are with you and your family. I am so glad that you have your family with you to help collectively ease the pain you all must be experiencing. May God bless you all. Merry Christmas… Dick

Posted by Dick Beach | December 5, 2017, 7:22 pm
  26. Remember it like it just happened. It was Christmas Eve and we were in a bunker underneath a 15th Century Monastery copying Nikita 5×5. Much of the transmission stopped for about a minute … then in perfect “press” came : ” Merry Christmas to the USAF “

Posted by Bruce L Buchler | December 12, 2017, 2:35 pm
  27. Thanks for the comeback Bruce……to the best of my knowledge, or old age forgetfulness, I don’t remember us getting that traffic. But you and yours have a great Christmas and a safe new years……….Bob Barringer

Posted by Richard Barringer | December 12, 2017, 6:59 pm
  28. Was ditty bopper at Clark AFB C Flight 6925th with 90 day TDY to Det 3 in Bangkok. 63-65. Ended my enlistment at HQ USAFSS San Antonio 65=67

Posted by Jim Dowty | January 10, 2018, 12:23 pm