6911th

Cambrai Fritsch Kaserne – Darmstadt, Germany

Cambrai Fritsch Kaserne was, I believe, an Army base where 6911th RGM was a tenant organization. Again, I’m not sure what my Dad did here but thanks to Red Barthel, I’m a little more familiar. He provided a nice PDF file on Darmstadt and what USAFSS was all about in Darmstadt. You can read the PDF at the link below:

Darmstadt Story

Thanks, Red!

265 comments for “Cambrai Fritsch Kaserne – Darmstadt, Germany”

1. looking for my dady 1960 cfc

Posted by frank schaffner | July 31, 2016, 1:57 pm
  2. Willie,

I also came from Shiroi to Darmstadt — in March 1959, ran the theater 1958-59 and played BB for Easy in 60-61. Surely our paths crossed. I worked radioprinter

Amos

Posted by amos Keith | July 31, 2016, 8:02 pm
  3. Amos seems like I remember your name but can not put a face with it.

Posted by Willie Pontiff | August 1, 2016, 3:15 pm
  4. Reading some of your comments I think my father, George Harold Barr may have been there the same time as some of you. I believe he also played BB and FB for the air force.

Georgie Weber

Posted by Georgie Weber | August 1, 2016, 3:36 pm
  5. I was in Darmstadt from 1960-1963. Your Dad, like all of us in the “silent service,” was a Cold War Warrior that contributed enormously to the defeat of the Soviet Union. The work we accomplished will forever be Top Secret, but you can get some clues from what you read about the NSA and DIA in the media. Be assured he was a true Hero.

Posted by Al Smith | August 1, 2016, 3:41 pm
  6. I was stationed at Cambrai Fritsch Kaserne in 1966-1967 with the U.S. Army, V Corp Btry. F, 26th Artillery . We operated out of the Army Airfield at Griesheim, Germany. Mainly just small choppers and small fixed wing aircraft there when I was there. I received OJT as air traffic control and clerk. Have a lot of fond memories of that place and made some good friends while I was over there. God Bless All Who Served.

Posted by Bob Cieslak | August 21, 2016, 3:19 pm
  7. I was stationed at Cambrai Fritsch Kaserne in 1966-1967 with the U.S. Army, V Corp Btry. F, 26th Artillery . We operated out of the Army Airfield at Griesheim, Germany & drove back & forth daily. Mainly just small choppers and small fixed wing aircraft there when I was there. I was trained radio teletype operator & received OJT as air traffic control and clerk. Have a lot of fond memories of that place and made some good friends while I was over there. God Bless All Who Served.

Posted by Bob Cieslak | August 21, 2016, 3:22 pm
  8. I was there in e company and also hq co 1955

Posted by tony doyle | October 8, 2016, 10:20 am
  9. I was stationed in Cambria Fritsch Kaserne 1952-54 for 18 mos. I remember the air force guys who were there . I was friends with some of them . our outfit was HQ Detachment 31st Medical Grp . We also had a few evacuation choppers which did go into action when needed .The Russians were bastards and still are .
    Mike C. Bridgeview,Il.

Posted by MJC | November 2, 2016, 5:26 pm
  10. I was station there from November 1972 until November 1973. 557th Med Co part of the 7th Med We were right across from V Corp Made many trips up those includes to the gates and the MP Shack. I lived in Seehiem Some names I recall Tom&Ann Mescher Charles “Lucky” Jenkins his wife Barb Brainard Janicki We seemed to me to be a close group of men Two commanders I recall are LT William Snyder and LT Fogel sorry about the spelling Thanks for reading

Posted by RANDY BURNS | November 26, 2016, 12:03 pm
  11. I was in the 7th evac at Cambrai Fritsch Kaserne for about a year til March of 1971. I took a European out and traveled thru Europe, down to/thur Spain, to Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Sicily, Italy, Istanbul & back to Germany to fly home to California. It took 3 months …..

Posted by michael volz | November 26, 2016, 5:37 pm
  12. You must remember my ond unit then

Posted by RANDY BURNS | November 26, 2016, 7:02 pm
  13. Spent 3 years Security Service in

I spent 3 years Securety Service Germany. 12months 12th RSM landsberg 1952..12 months 2nd RSM Darmstadt 1853..12 months 6910th SG Landsberg 1054.I was the photographer with top secret code word clearance since host bases did not have photogs with such high clearances, nor the need to know……With luck I made A/1C where most guys were separated with only A/2C…..And they were doing the important job…Stayed the whole 20 years mostly SAC with a 3 year tour at Yokota 67th Recon Tech Squadron….Last 8 years at Barksdale AFB, 2nd Air Force Headquarters, Command Post,Graphics presentation branch, providing ervice for the 8 am daily commanding General briefing………….

germany

Posted by Marvin Mobleys | November 30, 2016, 11:13 am
  14. Ladies and Gentlemen, My name is Kerstin Ross and I am looking for my father Michael Richards. It took a while to write the lines but now it is finally done … even if it is ample text, I am grateful for every straw. The text may also be shared. Thanks to everyone in advance !!!! Unfortunately, my English is not perfect, I ask in advance to take into account

I was born on 31.05.1974 in Seeheim in Jugenheim and my father must have been sent back to the States shortly before my birth (I guess Feb./ March 1974). He was then stationed in the Cambrai Fritsch barracks in Darmstadt, which unfortunately no longer exists.

My biological mother, Helga Ross, with whom I have not grown up, worked there as a cleaning power at that time and met him there. My mother was sent to the house by my grandfather in Stettbach shortly before the arrival, because there was a dark-skinned child on the way. Then she took an apartment in Pfungstadt. There was only 1 mattress and me. The police broke the apartment after my grandfather got a bad conscience and so I was released to care. Although I have a stepbrother named Reinhold, but also to him I would for personal reasons no contact.

The nursing family, where I grew up, came from Hähnlein / Bergstraße. Of this family I have received my birth certificate, but my mother was so “smart” and did not let anything register there. Since I also have no date of birth, I can only guess that my father today between 63-67 years old could be.

Today, I have no contact with my mother, which can be imagined. She was of the opinion that he was not worth looking for him. This opinion, however, I would like to form myself!

I only learned about the name of my father at the age of almost 30 years and unfortunately I have nothing else. Neither a social number, nor a photo. He was supposed to have been transferred back to Ohio.

My aunt Petra Ross and my uncle Heinz Ross can only remember the nickname “chocolate” because he always brought sweets. He should have been a loving man !!!

So far I have tried everything possible: On the Internet I found a father’s search in the Schwarzwald but the name is unfortunately an all-world name. “Please notify me” and “Missing” I wrote at the time, but did not get feedback. Google I have synonymous next night durchforstet but there I found nothing synonymous.

I’m glad that there is this group here and maybe I have a little chance of progressing.

Thanks again to everyone.

P.S. I can only rely on the information I’ve been told, whether the really all agree, I do not know …….. I hope it but !!!!!

Posted by Kerstin Ross | January 18, 2017, 3:52 am
  15. HI I was there in 1974 I live in Seeheim as well The house I lived in was still there last Time I looked I was with the 557th Med Com from 1972 until November 1974 Randy

Posted by RANDY BURNS | January 18, 2017, 8:15 pm