6911th

Cambrai Fritsch Kaserne – Darmstadt, Germany

Cambrai Fritsch Kaserne was, I believe, an Army base where 6911th RGM was a tenant organization. Again, I’m not sure what my Dad did here but thanks to Red Barthel, I’m a little more familiar. He provided a nice PDF file on Darmstadt and what USAFSS was all about in Darmstadt. You can read the PDF at the link below:

Darmstadt Story

Thanks, Red!

245 comments for “Cambrai Fritsch Kaserne – Darmstadt, Germany”

1. I was ditty bop . . . stationed at Darmstadt from 1963-1965. Was on Dog Flight. Remember all the trips back and forth out to the compound. Can’t remember a lot of the friends I knew, but remember Charles “Chip” Seldon, Steve Hampton, and Elvor Hopper. Also remember other guys, but can’t remember their first names . . . like Tooles, Woods and others. Guess it’s been so long now. If anyone remembers me or some of the names I mentioned here, please e-mail me.

Posted by Grant Furguson | June 30, 2015, 6:24 pm
  2. Ditty bop with the 6910th Darmstadt 59-61 then 3d to the 6986th Wakkanai with Bill Stack and others 61-62. Had the morning Bluegrass radio program at Wakkanai. Rode a 600cc BMW named Gert in Germany with Paul Likus and others. Please e-mail if any of this rings a bell.

Posted by gail a. carpenter aka carp | July 2, 2015, 9:26 pm
  3. Gail,

I too was at Darmstadt 59-61, What trick were you on. Did you know anyone who played basketball, I played for Easy trick.

Amos Keith

Posted by Amos Keith | July 6, 2015, 6:36 am
  4. Air Policeman with the 2nd RSM from Jan 1952 until Dec 1954. Stationed on both ELk and CFk.

Posted by Richard Judy | July 28, 2015, 3:22 pm
  5. Richard, glad to see you up on this site too. Hope you got those 2 passwords to get on the Spokt RC and 6910th Dst to Augsburg. Hope to see you over there too. Welcome onboard.

Posted by Paul Laffitte | July 28, 2015, 6:37 pm
  6. Was at Darmstadt (KFC) 6910 Sgp from 69-72 as Budget Officer. when the unit moved to Augsburg I opted to go to RAF Orfordness in England (Cobra Mist).Eight Months later the OTH Radar became obsolete and the site closed.

Posted by Huston Short | September 11, 2015, 6:14 pm
  7. Huston, would like to invite you to join 2 large USAFSS sites on SPOKT.COM. There is the 6910th Darmstadt to Augsburg and the USAFSS ROLLCALL Sites (all worldwide AFSS units). Both have large memberships and you would probably meet up with someone you served with. They are both free sites but require a password to sign in. If you are interested and would like a password let me know and I will get them to send you one. Give it a thought and let me know. Have a great day.
    (2nd RSM 49-52 Ernest Ludwig (ELK) and 6911th 55-57, Cambrai Fritsch (CFK)

Posted by Paul Laffitte | September 12, 2015, 11:15 pm
  8. Paul,

Would like to join two sites you reference. Please advise how to join.

Amos Keith

Posted by Amos Keith | September 14, 2015, 7:13 am
  9. Amos, need an e-mail address so we can forward the Password to sign in on both the ROLLCALL and the 6910th Darmstadt to Augsburg site. On the RC site the PW must be sent by the Secretary and when I get ur Addy will forward it to him. On the 10th I can send u the PW.
    Send it to

Posted by Paul Laffitte | September 14, 2015, 6:37 pm
  10. Email address for Amos Keith:

amoskeith1@yahoo.com

Rpt

AMOSKEITH1@YAHOO.COM

Posted by Amos Keith | September 15, 2015, 5:02 pm
  11. address is as stated. Phone nr: (813) 985-5838. amoskeith1@yahoo.com

Posted by Amos Keith | September 15, 2015, 5:05 pm
  12. Amos Keith
    Was on Baker second floor right across from the chow hall. Friends with Cletus Derks (deceased) but believe he played volleyball.

Posted by gail a. carpenter aka carp | September 15, 2015, 9:51 pm
  13. Amos, Password for 6910th on way. The one for Rollcall must come from the secretary and I will get with him first thing in the morning. Spokt sites right now down for a short maintenance.

Posted by Paul Laffitte | September 16, 2015, 12:24 am
  14. Searching for my best buddy while in Darmstadt…between early 1955 and Aug 1956…US Army…

We were both in Headquarters Co on base…

His name is either John Love or John Loveland…I believe he had a twin brother…

Posted by Guy Cardarelli | November 11, 2015, 1:12 pm
  15. 6910/11 Non-Morse/analyst 1960-1963 Charlie flight. Happy to chat with pals at the time.

Posted by Al Smith | December 17, 2015, 9:03 pm
  16. I was stationed here with the US Army 7th Evac Hospital in 1970 & early 1971. We drank a lot of good German beer & smoked a ton of good hash. I took a European out and traveled to Spain, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Sicily, Italy, Greece & a couple Greek Islands. Took three months and cost me $600.00 US. Ton of fun ! Any fellow Army or Air Force alumni out there ? Michael

Posted by michael volz | February 6, 2016, 7:56 pm
  17. I served on C-Flight for the 6910th security wing at Darmstadt from March 1966 thru April 1968, then on to Osan Air Base in South Korea. Played baseball. Lived at CFK.

Posted by Bob Nardone | February 9, 2016, 6:48 pm
  18. I didn’t realize that the German Nazi’s used the same base during WWII. The paint must have been an inch thick ! Regards, Michael

Posted by michael volz | February 22, 2016, 11:38 am
  19. Not only was CFK a German army post (not Nazi), but my wife’s father was also stationed there before shipping off to Stalingrad and was never heard from again. My future mother-in-law was speechless when I brought her to CFK to see where I was stationed.

Posted by Russ Noyes | February 22, 2016, 1:34 pm
  20. Good to read comments from fellow Cold War Warriors who were at 6911 & 6910TH RGM. Remember how good our “chow hall” was? So good our Army guys next door would do anything to eat there.

Posted by Al Smith | February 22, 2016, 4:41 pm
  21. Hi, I googled CFK photos of last week and found one that showed a Nazi sign on a flying flag on the base, michael

Posted by michael volz | February 22, 2016, 6:26 pm
  22. I do remember the mess hall food being much better than all the other Army I was at. They had German cooks instead of GI’s ! Our soda machines had canned beer too. At Xmas time they had a Great 14 % alcohol beer at the pub just outside the gate we just loved. If we drank too much of it we’d be crawling back to the barracks ! I was in the 7th Evac Medical Hospital but the Air Force also had companies there too, michael

Posted by michael volz | February 22, 2016, 6:34 pm
  23. I was stationed there from 71-72 in
    the 709th MP Bn. The Air Force Mess was kittycorner to the MP Station. We
    Got to eat there at night. Great food.
    We took good care of those cooks.
    Best place I was ever stationed.

Posted by Thomas Serafini | February 23, 2016, 11:39 am
  24. Between Basic at Lackland, Radio Intercept school at Kessler in 1956, Tripoli, Libya ’56-58 and Darmstadt ”58-60, I gotta believe our chow was better than what the poor ground- pounders were being fed.

Posted by Russ Noyes | February 23, 2016, 1:01 pm
  25. I’m not surprised Mike since the Nazl’s ruled the nation it was mandatory that their national flag be flown everywhere even on schools. Rusty

Posted by Russ Noyes | February 24, 2016, 1:55 pm
  26. Al Smith, can’t remember if I knew you, but I was a manual morse opr (X1) on Charlie flight 6911th/6910th RGM, Darmstadt from 1958 to 1961. Guys like us seem to have slowly faded away. Nice to know that some of us are still around. I spent 18 years
    in Security Service, best job I ever had.

Posted by Ed Garza | March 1, 2016, 4:06 pm
  27. Ed Garza. Hi Ed. No, can’t say I recall the name. I arrived at 6911 in May 1960 so we overlapped. I worked in the ‘inner sanctum’ in the NON-Morse section. I wasn’t too visible. Worked with a team of 15 or so for a year, then worked by myself in a “search” section with tons of equipment. All TS of course. 18years–WOW! Only 4 for me but I agree it was the BEST and most exciting job ever! We saved the world from you-know-what Ed. We really did.

Posted by AL SMITH | March 2, 2016, 11:06 am
  28. I was at the 6911th ’59 to ’60, came over from 6987th ShuLinKou Formosa,I had a 600 fiat, BD Moon had a bugeye sprite, we did racing and gymkanas, hill climbs, with Summary Sam, He had the Chevy the other guys, Scorby, Poucher, Flannery, Sarazen,Jr., Haramic, Gamache,Dambrot–anyone remember?

Posted by Cliff Koppelman | March 15, 2016, 5:44 pm
  29. I arrived at 6911th in May 1960…Charlie Flight. I DO remember your bugeye sprite that a lot of guys envied! Can’t say I knew your racing buddies.

Posted by Al Smith | March 16, 2016, 9:28 am
  30. Hi Al, The bugeye sprite was Dale Moon’s, I had a 600D fiat, Gene Sarazen had an MGA, Rich Poucher had a beat up Mercedes. Sam was our Lt. I was on D Trick, left in Sept. 60. Cliff

Posted by Cliff Koppelman | March 16, 2016, 5:14 pm
  31. Hi Cliff–Three of us bought a 1930’s Citroen Traction Avant. It broke down on our way back from a Paris trip. Sold it on the spot; bought train tickets back to Darmstadt. Should have tried to keep it. A classic…just like us!

Posted by Al Smith | March 17, 2016, 9:55 am
  32. Hi,
    I am a german student living next to the former Army base in Darmstadt.
    Sice the beginning of this year students of the Technical Univertity of Darmstadt moved in some of the abandoned houses (Lincoln Village) and also refugees moved to St Barbara. I still remember the German-American folk festival when I was a little (great ice-cream). I am really interested about your stories living in Darmstadt!
    Greetings from Darmstadt.
    Katharina

Posted by Katharina | March 19, 2016, 9:48 am
  33. Hi Katharina, I too was stationed at the 6911th in Darmstadt a transferee from the 6987th in Taiwan. My wife and I lived in Greishiem at 72 Sandgasse Strasse. There was a 16 year old girl that lived next door with her parents, her name was Gretel Schuster. The aptmnt we lived in was two stories, we lived in the bottom and Karl Hienz Hoffstedder and his wife Mariana lived upstairs, we rented from his mother. My wife and I actually had
    about a year and a half honeymoon in Germany. Our first son was born in the USAF Hospital in Weisbaden. I was there from Jan 1959 until Oct. 1960. Our son who was about 6 month old when we came home went back to Germany in the 1990’s and to the house we lived in. Karl Hienz and Mariana were still there and Gretel and her Husband was living with her mom. We had a wonderful time.

Posted by Gary Scorby | March 23, 2016, 10:29 am
  34. I forgot to mention that Gretel spoke English so she was our interpreter. We took her places even took her to Rhein Main AB and taught her how to bowl. When our son and his wife visited, Gretel and her husband took them out for dinner.

Posted by Gary Scorby | March 23, 2016, 10:33 am
  35. Katrina, you live in a great city. Way before you were born, I was stationed (1949-1952) with the Air Force 2nd Radio Squadron Mobile (before 6911th/6910th on Caambrai) on Ernest Ludwig Kaserne. It was a great Kaserne live and work on and a Darmstadt was a great City. Returned to Cambrai and the 6911th in 1955-1957 and at that time I stole a Fraulein from Darmstadt and moved to Ramstein until 1958 when we left for America. In August 2001, 18 of us former Ernest Ludwig troops returned to Darmstadt and the City gave a a great reception and opened up the closed E-L-K for one last time before it was torn down (Darmstadt Echo has the story). Never lived in the housing at Cambrai but visited my buddies living there. It was a great place to live and I could never figure out why Darmstadt took so long to put it back to use as housing. Hope you enjoy your stay there. Darmstadt was a great town to be stationed in.

Posted by Paul Laffitte | March 23, 2016, 2:35 pm
  36. Katharina from Darmstaeter Technische Hochschule. Ich will mit Dir schreiben…Bitte, kannst Du mir email schreiben Brad

Posted by Bradford Whipple | March 23, 2016, 5:33 pm
  37. Thank you Gary and Paul for your stories! Its nice to hear that you became friends with people from Darmsadt.
    How was live in Darmstadt for you? Cultural shock? Homesick?

Hi Brad, gerne können wir schreiben.
    Meine Mail ist: k.eckert@posteo.de
    Lieben Gruß

Katharina

Posted by Katharina | March 26, 2016, 7:47 pm
  38. Katharina- In the next days I will write. Danke sehr….Brad

Posted by Bradford Whipple | March 27, 2016, 8:28 am
  39. was there 62/65 lived in Eberstadt,a Airman on 3rd shift lived upstairs Him&Wife prepared sandwich’s and sold them to the midnight shift at the site.Any one recall who it was?

Posted by JP Nelson | May 13, 2016, 5:51 pm
  40. My name is John Latvanas. I served in the 7th evac from Dec 1969 to Nov 1971.Michael Volz if you read this i remember you very well,we were roomies along with Steve Gillette and Bill Eddy (r.i.p.If memory serves me correctly you and Gillette were from Socal.

Posted by jodhn Latvanas | May 13, 2016, 7:12 pm
  41. John Latvanas here again.I remember the beer that you were referring to Michael.It was called Nicklaus Brau and sold only at Christmas time.The guesthause just outside the gate was named Carls.

Posted by John Latvanas | May 13, 2016, 7:30 pm
  42. Hi John, not sure I remember you. I’m sure I would if I saw a photo (from back then). Yes, I do remember Steve Gillette, we called him “the blade” because of his name and he was tall & thin.Yes we were both from Socal. Was Bill (or you) the farm boy from Iowa. I do have photos of that time. That was an interesting time !

Posted by michael volz | May 13, 2016, 8:14 pm
  43. Hi Mike.Bill was from Culpepper Va and I am from Baltimore (black hair and glasses).

Posted by John Latvanas | May 14, 2016, 8:38 am
  44. Yes, I knew an airman who sold sandwichs at site. Just cannot remember his name. Not sure it is same man as our times there are different. What I do remember is a problem with his wife and another airman.

Amos Keith Darmstadt 59-June 61

Posted by AMOS KEITH | May 14, 2016, 10:55 am
  45. Thomas Serafina I noticed your comments earlier about the 709th MP..were you located in the building across from V Corps headquarters..the big flagpole stood between the two buildings..I was there in 68/69 with V Corps and also remember eating at the air force mess after pulling guard duty

Posted by phil hannum | May 24, 2016, 9:27 am