Asides

6910th Security Wing – Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne – Darmstadt, Germany
Mar 1963 to Mar 1966

Morse Intercept Operator with Mission Control
6910th Security Wing
Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne
Darmstadt, Germany

Below are images and military documents for this period of time:

160 comments for “6910th Security Wing – Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne – Darmstadt, Germany
Mar 1963 to Mar 1966”

1. Tom, good to hear from you. I’m doing fine, how about you? I’ve only heard from a few guys, Bill Dixon and Paul Paiva. I would like to hear about that move to Augsburg sometime.

Posted by Len Neering | February 7, 2017, 8:40 pm
  2. I’m doing good Len. Have not heard from anyone either. Took a months leave June 72 and went to see Bill Curry. Worked 12 hour shifts at both sites for the move. Augsburg was a lot better place. Don’t know if you knew Rick Weiner he’s close to me. Thanks for the reply. Good to hear from you. Tom

Posted by Tom Rhoads | February 9, 2017, 11:16 am
  3. Station 6910th from Oct 62 to Jul 65 was a 29150 work in the comm center. Enjoyed my tour of duty there. Played for Comets baseball team.

Posted by MSgt Sam Hargrave | February 14, 2017, 8:06 pm
  4. Was John Ross pitching for the Comets then? Older guy not much speed, but we all used to sit right behind home plate and watch the ball swoop, dive and jitterbug its way to the plate. We were told that if the Ump ever shook Ross down that he would find hair oil, razors, sharpened belt buckles and all kinds of things that Ross used to make the ball fly weird. We used to almost burst out in tears watching his pitches fly all over the place.

Posted by Frank Roemer | February 14, 2017, 9:15 pm
  5. So Len Neering better known as “Ditty”? I remember you. Also I remember Bill Curry mentioned above.
    I was in Darmstadt from 1968 to 1971.
    Am doing fine and occasionally still hear from Mike Holland and John Piekara. Live in Missouri now.

Posted by Cliff Carlson | March 11, 2017, 8:10 pm
  6. Bill Curry aka Glug. Roomed with him a year before he left.

Posted by Tom Rhoads | March 17, 2017, 5:59 pm
  7. Cliff Carlson, good to hear from you. I remember driving you to Port Newark to pick up the VW you had shipped. As for Mike Holand “The Colonel” and John Piekara, next time you hear from them say hi for me. All we need now is to hear from Marty Gill and Brent Fuller and the infamous party room is reunited. Glad to hear everyone is doing good.

Posted by Len Neering | March 18, 2017, 11:18 am
  8. Stationed at the 6910th from July-1963 until December-1966. Still remains one the highlights of my life.

Took my discharge in Germany and went to work for Radio Free Europe in Darmstadt.

Posted by Frank Roemer | March 18, 2017, 5:23 pm
  9. Stationed at the 6910th 4-’64 to 1-’67. Russian Linguist on Baker flt. I don’t recognize any of the names above though we were there at the same time. Still stay in touch with Bob (Mel) Melvin, Tom Sullivan, John (Willy) Williams, Dave Blume and our German buddy from back in the day, Albrecht (Caesar) Kaiser. Great times.

Posted by Ken Kohlmeier | April 28, 2017, 5:08 pm
  10. I was with the 6910th from July -62 until December 66 and watching this site reminded me how you knew the flight that you relieved and the flight that relieved you…but you never got to meet anyone from the fourth flight. If I remember correctly, we always relieved Charlie Flight and were relieved by Baker. I don’t think I can even recall seeing anyone from Alpha.

Posted by Frank Roemer | April 28, 2017, 6:24 pm