Asides

6910th Security Wing – Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne – Darmstadt, Germany
Mar 1963 to Mar 1966

Morse Intercept Operator with Mission Control
6910th Security Wing
Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne
Darmstadt, Germany

Below are images and military documents for this period of time:

42 comments for “6910th Security Wing – Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne – Darmstadt, Germany
Mar 1963 to Mar 1966”

1. Was stationed at 6910th from ’65-67. From South Carolina. Would love to hear from guys that I served with. Can’t remember flight. Was a “ditty bopper”. Having trouble remembering names….can see the faces, but memory about shot on names. Also, wnet to 6937th in Pakistan after. Have located several guys that served with over there. If you remember me, please say hello.

Posted by Frank Price | January 10, 2011, 11:18 am
  2. Just found this site. I don’t remember your dad, but I was at Darmstadt from Mar 64-Mar 66. I was voice intercept–czech.
    It was fun reading the orders you have posted. Found several friends on them.

Posted by Robert Ehrenberger | February 18, 2011, 10:07 am
  3. I was a cold warrior in the 6910th at Darmstadt from ’63-’66. I was a morse intercept operator. My main memory is of being exhausted all the time because of the constant shift changes.

Posted by Mike Beeby | February 21, 2011, 6:06 pm
  4. I was in the 6910th from September ’63 until August ’66 and was the Block 5 supervisor on D flight. It was a great assignment. Our first apartment was in Griesheim, and then we lived in temporary quarters and regular housing in Lincoln Village. Our oldest daughter was born in Wiesbaden. At the time, my brother was in the AF at Ramstein, so we had great times being with family. Good friends there were TSgt Tom Hickey, TSgt Bobby Holloway, A1C Don Whitworth, SSgt Chuck Purcell. MSgt John Parham was our flight NCOIC. I was there at the same time as Bethel Hendrix, but he must have been on a different flight because we did not work together. However, my wife remembers him and his wife from the NCO Club. They loved to dance, and really enjoyed the Air Force. He told us that he had the ideal life–good travel, a steady job, and a lot of friends. Thanks for putting up this website to bring back the old memories.

Posted by Gary Griggs | February 25, 2011, 4:04 am
  5. I was also an X1 on D flight. Lived in Griesheim, I remember Don Whitworth, Chuck Purcell and Sgt Parham. I sat position until I was moved back with Joe Kessler DF section and worked the antenna patch panel.

Posted by Reid (skip) Dugger | March 5, 2011, 12:59 pm
  6. For Frank Price, Roger Boss (voice) and I were roomies on Dog Flight. Hope this will bring a few more memories. You had to leave for home early due to death in family. That was a hard night.

Posted by Jim Cioni | November 14, 2011, 11:43 pm
  7. Lived there as a brat from 60-63 and 66-69. Dad (SMsgt Billy Morris) was a 202 if I remember correctly and was on Able & Baker flights. Dad passed away several years ago and am still finding things from his days at the 6910th and Memory Field supporting his beloved Comets.

Posted by Wayne | November 21, 2011, 8:00 pm
  8. Trying to find Mike Beeby…

I was stationed in Darmstadt from Jan ’63 to Dec ’64 and was transferred to the 6924 in Danang.

Posted by Steve Mackler | December 31, 2011, 11:53 pm
  9. I was in Darmstadt on Charlie Flt from 1964-65 as a Russian 203. I remember 292’s Charlie Langer, Bernie, Tiny and those guys. We had fun with them on trips to Amsterdam. Great times !

Posted by Tom Person | April 4, 2012, 9:56 am
  10. I was in teletype maint 64 -65 (Butch) Great memories

Posted by August E Nystedt | May 12, 2012, 3:47 pm
  11. I was stationed in Darmstadt from 1964 to 1966 until I married a German women and lost my SSIR clearance. I worked in the comm center transmitting intell teletype messages to DIRNSA and other places. Love’d our trips to Amsterdam :-)

God Bless Us All

Posted by Jim Farris | June 24, 2012, 6:36 am
  12. I was a 203 from 1964 to 1967. I recognize Tom Person’s name. Seems to me his roommate was named Larkin. Not sure about any of the other names listed above. Three years ago 3 of us who served together (Bob Melvin,aka Mel, Tom Sullivan, and Dave Blume) and a german buddy we hung out with while stationed in the 6910th got together for a weekend to reminise and reconnect. It was great. Am also in touch with John Williams, aka Der Willie and Schnurrbart who was also in the 6910th.

Posted by Ken Kohlmeier | January 3, 2013, 9:25 pm
  13. 6910’th in 1963-64 as a Morse Intercept Operator. Looking for some old buddies. Hank Pfeifer from Brooklyn, New York. Mike O’Dea and Ken Hassenbank who re-enlisted as Tech Sgt’s in 1966 from the 6937’th. Still have friends in Darmstadt. Have visited a few times. All has changed. Life is good.

Posted by Burt Gendron | January 5, 2013, 11:30 am
  14. To: Frank Price We went to Keesler together and then to Darmstadt. You were buddies with Hicks. another redneck. lol

Posted by Bob Marshall | January 15, 2013, 12:48 pm
  15. to FRANK PRICE forgot to mention my email is robertross46@yahoo.com. trying to remember names after all these years. bill lobo, jim kooksey, olan hassenfuss, ralph bobb, bob rex, sgt. moore. I was there for 39 mos. 65-68. longest of any enlisted.

Posted by Bob Marshall | January 15, 2013, 3:01 pm
  16. A guy I served with in Darmstadt just gave me this web site. I was there from 1964 to 1967. My MOS was 29252. I also went to Kessler and then Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo. Happy to hear from anyone I knew over there.

Posted by Chuck Beddis | May 1, 2013, 3:53 pm
  17. Chuck, we were on either Baker or Dawg flight together. I was also there from 1964 to 1967 and never left. I still live in Darmstadt.

Posted by jerry kidder | May 9, 2013, 10:37 am
  18. Was a ditty bopper on Charlie from Jun 64 to Oct 66. Went 2T to 6937th to finish my tour.

Posted by Bob Siriani | May 15, 2013, 7:02 am
  19. From 1959 to 1961 was in Sembach, Then in 61 the 6910th moved to Darmstadt. If there is anyone that was there on “DOG” trick, why, I would like to hear from you….

Posted by Rod Calkins | June 11, 2013, 10:43 am
  20. X1 on dawg flight from March 64 to Feb 66 when I went 2T to Pakistan. Roomed with Tom Kocurek, Fred and Duffy. Friends with Bill Lobo, Paul Hicks, Ken Beyers and others whose names have been forgotten. Am on 6910th MyFamily web site.

Posted by Joseph Becht | July 7, 2013, 9:09 am
  21. I was stationed at the 6910th from Feb 61 to Nov 62 and I was assigned to Able Flight (Able Aces).

Posted by John | August 16, 2013, 8:20 am
  22. Hi, I am writing in the name of a girlfriend. She is now 54, her father was Eugene Urby (Uerby ??). He was in Darmstadt around 1958-1960 . Does somebody know how I can start my serach to help her find her rooth ??. Any comment and idea is appreciated. thank you. Martina

Posted by Martina | August 25, 2013, 2:55 pm
  23. “google” 6910 Security Wing Darmstadt,Germany. He was at the Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne. There should be other web sites where vets can search for each other. Good Luck.

Posted by bob marshall | August 26, 2013, 11:58 am
  24. Hey let me join the crowd. I was also in Darmstadt with the 6910th from Mar 64-Jun 66 and Jul 67-Jul 70. These pictures are a great reminder of my two wonderful tours of duty in Darmstadt!
    Rummelbrau, Klapperhof, Suicide Alley, The Russian Church,and the list goes on and on!!!!Bill Lobo, retired from ESC in Feb 1991

Posted by Bill Lobo | September 1, 2013, 9:03 am
  25. Hi, Stationed 6910th Sec. Wg. from Oct 1965 to Nov 1967. Then to Taipei Taiwan. Morse intercept opr. MOS 29231. Unable to remember which flight. Can only remember first names, Gutz, Pat, Jose, and Don.

Posted by Kim Buchholdt | September 2, 2013, 9:53 am
  26. Ernest Gould
    Harold Susskind
    Bobby Fisher
    Are any of you guys still alive?

Posted by ed cabaniss | October 25, 2013, 5:00 am
  27. in 6910th from 1953 to1956. people I knew Jim Swope, Woody Wood, Pulmar in motor pool.

Posted by Roland Brooks | December 31, 2013, 11:38 pm
  28. Frank Price–U ole stump jumper from South Carolina—I worked right next to you on radios in Darmstadt—U & I were good friends with Jim Rollins from Tennessee
    Mike Beeby—I was Rich Smith’s roommate when u and he rode cycles—those BMW and Hirex cycles
    I was stationed at CFK in Darmstadt from march ’65 to March ’68
    Went to keesler from Sept. ’64 to Feb. ’65
    Some names I remember right now were:
    Ralph Woods—great catcher for Johnny Ross (Pitcher from Kentucky) on the Comets championship baseball teams
    Jim Rollins—another really good ballplayer
    Rich Smith…my first roommate—married German gal “Trudy”
    Paul Hipsley–another roomie from Baltimore
    Wayne Shovelin-roomie later on—he had been at Edinburgh before base closed there
    Barry Hodgson—another roomie later—he was from Calif.
    Both Wayne & Barry had Porsche’s which we’d go to Ops & leave after the bus & beat the bus to work
    Tom Layne from hilton, NY
    Charlie Napinski—played as a punter on Rhein main football team
    Denny Griffin
    Hank Kuhlmann
    Charlie Reynolds (I think his name was Charlie)
    Sgt. Jimmy Vincent
    Sgt. Billings
    Sgt. Morrill
    Ron Neurenberg—not sure of spelling last name
    Fred Kupstis
    Jim Cooksey (or Kooksey–from around Canandaigua NY
    Nathaniel Leftwich

These are only some of the guys—cain’t remember a lot of names right now but some more may come later

Any of U guys reading this from that timeframe—feel free to e-mail me: jim.s.4030@gmail.com
    Don’t fergit the dots after jim and after the s otherwise the e-mail will come back at ya

Posted by Jim Scheid | January 28, 2014, 9:27 pm
  29. I forgot to put in that I was in “DOG” Flight when I was at CFK from ’65-’68
    Some more names I can recall:
    Sgt. Smith worked in our bay under Sgt. Lee
    Ernie Reynolds, not Charlie as stated earlier
    Les Binkley (a pretty good lefty pitcher)
    Mark Peschmann (I think that’s his last name)

Posted by Jim Scheid | January 29, 2014, 8:58 pm
  30. Was a Morse Intercept Operator from Mar 66 thru May 68 then on to Osan Korea to the 6922nd Det. Lived at CFK in “C” flight if memory serves.

Posted by Bob Nardone | March 12, 2014, 5:08 pm
  31. Was in Darmstadt 1962-1964. 6910th Radio group Mobile. memory not gthat great anymore. Lived off base with wife and son Mark born in Frankfort.

Posted by Thomas D. Roesch | March 15, 2014, 11:14 pm
  32. I was a dependent in Darmstadt from 1960 to 1963, and again from 1968 to 1969. I was in grades 1-4 and then 9th grade during those times. My father was Oliver Wickey, who was attached to 6910th, Dog Flight. He was a supervisor and I would love to hear from anyone who knew him or my parents. We lived in Lincoln Village just down the hill from CFK. DW

Posted by Doug | March 31, 2014, 10:21 am
  33. 65-68, and I’m thinking it was baker flt, but comments from couple I know on here, Dugger and Beddis, are saying it was dog flt.
    Some I remember in addition to those 2 guys
    Parham
    Kessler
    Marquis
    Joe Price
    Bill Burton
    Louie Crow(just found out he died)
    Jim Holcomb

Married pregnant Girlfriend and Shepard still fightn WWII so lost clearance and got out after 8.
    LOVED our work/our mission.

Retired, married to young Filipino, andwe have little boy, living in Cebu Philippines for last 4 years.
    Lots of Germans in this area, but no food like the Klapperkerhoff(?)

Would love to hear from anyone.

Posted by Bill Byrd | April 2, 2014, 3:02 am
  34. re: Ed Cabaniss’ comment above, I was on Dog 6/62-9/63 then Easy Flight ’til 6/64 then 2T Shemya.
    I worked for Ernie Gould, until I didn’t – long story.
    Went to 202 tech school with Harold
    Suskind.
    About four years ago (2010) I heard Ernie was alive and well in San Antonio, no word on Harold.

Posted by Skip LaMay | April 12, 2014, 5:13 am
  35. was a morse intercept operator in Darmstadt from 1962-1965

Posted by george ultrino | April 12, 2014, 4:13 pm
  36. Station 6910th from 62-65 was on Charlie Flt.
    Worked in Comm Center. Played baseball for comets under Johnny Ross. Work with one of people on your comment list(Jim Farris)

Posted by Sam Hargrave | April 21, 2014, 7:07 pm
  37. i was stationed at 6910th feb 64 till may 1966 on charlie flight.played quarterback for charlie flight on flag football team and softball and volleyball team. also bowled on the bowling team. my sup was ssgt perris great guy. love to hear from any the guys on charlie flight. now living in north carolina, retired but working at a golf course 3 days a week.

Posted by jerry henley | June 9, 2014, 9:44 pm
  38. Sam Hargrave, and Jim Scheid I know several of the names both of you mentioned. I played for the Comets in 1961 and 1962. Johnny Ross arrived a few days shy of being legal to play in the GSD and USAFE playofs in 1962.
    I am in contact with Johnny Ross and Jim Rollins, I have a cd on the Comets from 1950’s to 1970’s many photos and many articles from the Stars and Stripes clippings that Johnny Ross’s scrapbooks had in it.

Johnny Ross, and Jim Rollins both live in San Angelo, Tx.

Charlie Church Able flight 1960 to 1963.
    dchurch@mycitycable.com

Posted by Charlie Church | June 10, 2014, 11:32 pm
  39. Hey guys, I went to Keesler in 1960 and then to Darmstadt. Came back to states in April 1963. I was a 202. Sure would love to hear from anyone who remembers me. Thanks Allen (Micky)

Posted by Allen Manges | July 13, 2014, 1:55 pm
  40. Hey Guys, I went to Keesler in March 1960 and then to Darmstadt. I was a 202 in Able Flight. Came back to states in April 1963. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers me. Thanks, Allen

Posted by Allen Manges | July 13, 2014, 1:57 pm
  41. Actually went to Keesler in Sept. 1959 and then to Sembach Air Base near Kaizerslaughtern, and then to Darmstadt in 1961. I was a 202. Able flight 6910th. Would enjoy hearing from anyone who remembers me. thanks, Allen

Posted by Allen Manges | July 14, 2014, 4:46 pm