Asides

6910th Security Wing – Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne – Darmstadt, Germany
Mar 1963 to Mar 1966

Morse Intercept Operator with Mission Control
6910th Security Wing
Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne
Darmstadt, Germany

Below are images and military documents for this period of time:

114 comments for “6910th Security Wing – Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne – Darmstadt, Germany
Mar 1963 to Mar 1966”

1. Hello, you were there when we were in Darmstadt the first time. My father was on Dog Flight. I would love to see your website so please forward the address. Thanks, Doug

Posted by Doug Wickey | December 5, 2015, 2:19 pm
  2. I was there in 66….on Baker flight

Posted by Matt lorenz | December 27, 2015, 3:31 pm
  3. You were there 2 years before I was. I arrived 5/68 assigned to Dog. I’m curious about the Baker X1 I used to relieve. I left for Vietnam 10/69. A friend of mine sent me a Stars & Stripes article soon after I left about the guy on Baker I relieved turned out to be a serial murderer. They eventually caught him because the knives he used were bought at the BX on CFK. Do you remember that? His name? All I remember about him was his dark 5 o’clock shadow. He was married.

Posted by Thomas Hutchings | December 28, 2015, 3:46 pm
  4. I wish I knew more about that. That was after my time but such a thing certainly captures one’s curiousity.

I really got a lot out of time there. I think about it more now than ever and that is because I realize how much I grew up there. I had a 350 Horex motorcycle and being able to ride and explore was huge in allowing myself to enjoy the surroundings.

I would like to contact some of the old friends I knew

Maty

Posted by Matt | December 28, 2015, 8:54 pm
  5. I wish I knew more about that. That was after my time but such a thing certainly captures one’s curiousity.

I would like to contact some of the old friends I knew

Matt

Posted by Matt | December 28, 2015, 9:00 pm
  6. No don’t remember that. In early 62 we had a SSGT, I don’t remember his name but he and his buddies went to Frankfurt by train one night and got drunk. On the way back they had to run to catch the train and the SSGT slipped and fell under the train and it cut his legs off. In the fall of 62 I was promoted to SSGT, it didn’t occur to me until years later, I received his stripe. What a price to pay huh? I married a German girl in July 63, they pulled my clearance in Oct 63 and I worked the MARS station until I shipped out in Nov 63, go home mustered out and the next day they shot Kennedy, my wife freaked out.

Posted by Donald E McBroom | December 29, 2015, 4:31 pm
  7. Matt,
    The 6910 was a great assignment. I bought a ’59 VW from a guy leaving shortly after I arrived. It was the $250 VW. He had bought it for that amount, sold it to me for the same and when I left to go to Bietnam’ 6994th, I sold it for $250. I also had a BSA 500 I bought through the Canadian BX in Baden Baden and later shipped it home and rode it on leave before heading to the 6994th.

I’m in touch with several guys who were with me at the 6910th. Keep looking. The memories shared are fun.

Tom

Posted by Thomas Hutchings | December 30, 2015, 6:09 am
  8. Tom
    I am so glad you wrote back. I bought an old 350 Horex and rode it all over every chance I had. I actually get very sentimental about those days….I was 19 when I got there and it was such a wonderful place to grow…see new things and I met some good friends. I went back last year and it was a huge bittersweet experience. Seeing it closed was really tough. But the memories of the good and bad times we’re worth it.
    I forgot all about the Canadian Bx in Baden Baden. I didn’t know a bike couldn’t get shipped home from there…nice. I rode a Triumph in the states for a while when i got home from Turkey.

Thanks for writing.

Matt

Posted by Matt | December 30, 2015, 9:45 am
  9. Matt, I rode the BSA all over the Rhine triangle of Darmstadt, Frankfurt and Wiesbaden. I had a girlfriend on Wiesbaden whose father was a POW during WWII on an English dairy. Her father and I went through a lot of schnapps! I also had a girlfriend on Germsheim and I’d take her to bierfests in Frankfurt. During winter, I’d drive my VW while drunk, and fo donuts in empty parking lots.

About a month before I left Germany, I took the BSA to the Darmstadt Bahnhoff to have it delivered to Hamburg, where it was shipped to the Port of Los Angeles. I picked it up and ride it all over So. California, rode it up to the San Francisco Bay Area and rode it all over SF, then stored it at my sister’s nearby. While in VN, a neighbor of my sister asked if he could buy it…twice what I paid. I said yes, figuring Zi could buy it back. His first ride out, he totaled the bike and broke his collarbone! Shyte! Good bike, that.

Posted by Thomas Hutchings | December 30, 2015, 11:39 am
  10. I was in the 6910th. in both Darmstadt and Augsburgh between Oct. 1970 and Sept. 1973 when I went Stateside to “get out”. Had my own car and drove to A-dam every break with guys hurting to get to Canal Street, so my gas was always free.

Was downtown in Darmstadt until the wee hours one night and while staggering back to base ran into a Darmstadt police officer who had a German police dog on a leash — believe me, I sobered up really fast!

Posted by Dan Miskelly | January 1, 2016, 3:06 am
  11. My dad was stationed at Cambrai-Fritsch from 63 to 66. Gordon “Dusty” Rhodes. Russian linguist. Did anyone know him?

Posted by Ben Rhodes | May 11, 2016, 10:29 pm
  12. Ben…I don’t recall your father…If I find someone who does I will let you know….Matt

Posted by Matt | May 12, 2016, 8:04 am
  13. Ben: he was not on Baker Flight. Name sound familiar but I did not work with him. There was also a wrestler that went by Dusty Rhodes too in Fla. I was a 203 on Baker 64-67

Posted by John Williams | May 12, 2016, 6:52 pm
  14. Ben
    I was a Russian linguist on Able Flight (the best) from Jan 63 to Dec 65. We didn’t have anyone with that name. Maybe Charlie or Dog Flight.

Posted by John | July 3, 2016, 10:16 pm