Asides

6910th Security Wing – Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne – Darmstadt, Germany
Mar 1963 to Mar 1966

Morse Intercept Operator with Mission Control
6910th Security Wing
Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne
Darmstadt, Germany

Below are images and military documents for this period of time:

175 comments for “6910th Security Wing – Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne – Darmstadt, Germany
Mar 1963 to Mar 1966”

1. Tom, good to hear from you. I’m doing fine, how about you? I’ve only heard from a few guys, Bill Dixon and Paul Paiva. I would like to hear about that move to Augsburg sometime.

Posted by Len Neering | February 7, 2017, 8:40 pm
  2. I’m doing good Len. Have not heard from anyone either. Took a months leave June 72 and went to see Bill Curry. Worked 12 hour shifts at both sites for the move. Augsburg was a lot better place. Don’t know if you knew Rick Weiner he’s close to me. Thanks for the reply. Good to hear from you. Tom

Posted by Tom Rhoads | February 9, 2017, 11:16 am
  3. Station 6910th from Oct 62 to Jul 65 was a 29150 work in the comm center. Enjoyed my tour of duty there. Played for Comets baseball team.

Posted by MSgt Sam Hargrave | February 14, 2017, 8:06 pm
  4. Was John Ross pitching for the Comets then? Older guy not much speed, but we all used to sit right behind home plate and watch the ball swoop, dive and jitterbug its way to the plate. We were told that if the Ump ever shook Ross down that he would find hair oil, razors, sharpened belt buckles and all kinds of things that Ross used to make the ball fly weird. We used to almost burst out in tears watching his pitches fly all over the place.

Posted by Frank Roemer | February 14, 2017, 9:15 pm
  5. So Len Neering better known as “Ditty”? I remember you. Also I remember Bill Curry mentioned above.
    I was in Darmstadt from 1968 to 1971.
    Am doing fine and occasionally still hear from Mike Holland and John Piekara. Live in Missouri now.

Posted by Cliff Carlson | March 11, 2017, 8:10 pm
  6. Bill Curry aka Glug. Roomed with him a year before he left.

Posted by Tom Rhoads | March 17, 2017, 5:59 pm
  7. Cliff Carlson, good to hear from you. I remember driving you to Port Newark to pick up the VW you had shipped. As for Mike Holand “The Colonel” and John Piekara, next time you hear from them say hi for me. All we need now is to hear from Marty Gill and Brent Fuller and the infamous party room is reunited. Glad to hear everyone is doing good.

Posted by Len Neering | March 18, 2017, 11:18 am
  8. Stationed at the 6910th from July-1963 until December-1966. Still remains one the highlights of my life.

Took my discharge in Germany and went to work for Radio Free Europe in Darmstadt.

Posted by Frank Roemer | March 18, 2017, 5:23 pm
  9. Stationed at the 6910th 4-’64 to 1-’67. Russian Linguist on Baker flt. I don’t recognize any of the names above though we were there at the same time. Still stay in touch with Bob (Mel) Melvin, Tom Sullivan, John (Willy) Williams, Dave Blume and our German buddy from back in the day, Albrecht (Caesar) Kaiser. Great times.

Posted by Ken Kohlmeier | April 28, 2017, 5:08 pm
  10. I was with the 6910th from July -62 until December 66 and watching this site reminded me how you knew the flight that you relieved and the flight that relieved you…but you never got to meet anyone from the fourth flight. If I remember correctly, we always relieved Charlie Flight and were relieved by Baker. I don’t think I can even recall seeing anyone from Alpha.

Posted by Frank Roemer | April 28, 2017, 6:24 pm
  11. Was there from 67-70

Posted by Beck Brown | May 30, 2017, 7:02 pm
  12. I was there 3-67 to 3-70

Posted by Frank Metzger | June 1, 2017, 8:23 am
  13. Hello old comrades! Sure ;would like to hear fromyou guys,
    Tom, Cliff,Mie,John and anyone that sees this. Retired now bad heart,lungs among other things. It’s the old memories that keep me going! Take care everyone! “Glug”

Posted by William E. Curry, Jr. | June 20, 2017, 7:24 pm
  14. I remember those days. would like to hear from Dog flight 67-71.

Posted by William E. Curry, Jr. | June 21, 2017, 9:19 am
  15. Hi Bill, Len Neering Dawg 68 – 71

Posted by Len Neering | June 21, 2017, 9:55 am
  16. Who could forget “Glug” after hanging so many mids!
    I hung around with Tom Hutchings, Marty Rousch, Delmis Maley, and Len Neering mostly. I had a blonde German girlfriend named Ruth and a ’69 650cc BSA Lightning and was always in trouble for one thing or another. Don’t know if you remember the July 4th mid shift where there was a huge explosion in the burn room of the ops building and they called everybody out with weapons to their security posts. That was me.

Posted by Paul Paiva | June 21, 2017, 1:31 pm
  17. Because I was the “Jeep” on Dog Flight, I got to spend a lot of time in the watch tower on mids when they were building the new building. They gave me an M-1 Rigle and one bullet. LT. Chuck Dobbs always tried to sneak up the ladder to catch me asleep. I remember one rainy night that he fell and got some boos boos on his leg.

Posted by Frank Roemer | June 21, 2017, 6:36 pm
  18. I remember a little guard duty too. Only did it one time during the construction. But did it out at the DF shack too. That was a M-1 carbine that was used. Never checked the ammo supply. Baker Flt. 203 64-67

Posted by John Williams | June 22, 2017, 2:05 pm
  19. I never understood the necessity to guard an empty building still under construction. The only thing that I ever heard while on guard duty was Jake’s asparagus growing.

Posted by Frank Roemer | June 22, 2017, 4:02 pm
  20. Hi Bill. Will never forget all those good times. All that pizza and bottles of wine. Retired also and had some heart problems but are doing good. Hope to hear more from you. Tom. 70 to 73.

Posted by Tom Rhoads | June 25, 2017, 9:51 am
  21. Hey Bugs, great to hear from you! Life is good. Married for the 3rd time finally got the right one. Have a house in the country now. Beats hell out of city living. We need to keep in touch. Have a good one! Glug

Posted by William E Curry | June 26, 2017, 8:23 am
  22. I remember Bill Curry, but can’t place the face. I was on Dog from May ’69 to Nov ’69 when I switched orders with Randy Stell for the 6994th Scty Sq at Tan Son Nhut AB, Vietnam. I hung around a lot with Paul Paiva, good friends with Tom Leyden, Marty Roush (died in California in a m/c accident in ’83), Roger “Hostile Henry” Fowler, “Andy” Anderson from New Orleans, Tsgt John James, Ron Aiken, Ron Boaz, Gary Stetner, and more. I remember Pop Pierson, Ssgt Cass (nickname for Casciola, or something like that), Bob “Crash” Carter, and now I’m stretching the limits. Do you remember the Mission Supervisor’s name? He was a tall African-American MSgt. Anytime someone had a question about procedures, he’d reply, “Hmmm, let’s see what da MIP (Morse Intercept Procedures) say.” He has to be be one of the most kindest guys I knew, I can still see his face, hear his voice, but can’t recall the name.

Posted by Tom Hutchings | June 26, 2017, 3:06 pm
  23. Sgt Parham maybe?

Posted by Matt Lorenz | June 26, 2017, 5:17 pm
  24. Hey Glug. Yea on my 2nd marriage will be 40 yrs this year. Only took me 2. We downsized to the country when I retired. We definitely have to keep in touch. Have a good holiday! Tom

Posted by Tom Rhoads | July 2, 2017, 5:12 pm
  25. Hello to the USAF 6910th ESG (1972-74) Augsburg veterans. I regret to let you know that one of yours has gone to his final Field Station. Glenn Ray Farnsley served at Field Station Augsburg from July 1972 – April 1974. He passed at age 79 on June 13, 2016 in his hometown New Albany, Indiana. If anyone recalls Glenn and knows his job title, or even has a picture of him, please contact me at 4billkay@roadrunner.com — I run the Augsburg 2nd Ops (Army) webgroup. Best Regards, Bill Kay (FSA, 1978-81, San Diego)

Posted by Bill Kay | July 23, 2017, 8:10 pm