Asides

6931st Security Group – Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece
Jul 1967 to Aug 1969

6931st Security Group
Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece

Below are images and military documents for this period of time:

574 comments for “6931st Security Group – Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece
Jul 1967 to Aug 1969”

1. Larry Downing, Thanks! Mine was the blue & white Triumph 650, still have it today, although it hasn’t run in years. I really enjoyed having it on Crete. Was great for long breaks to explore the Island, and to run to Mikes Light House in Hersonissis.

Posted by J T (John) Barker | March 20, 2017, 1:57 pm
  2. Can anyone tell me how I can access the 551 posts on this site.

Thanks

Posted by Huston Short | June 27, 2017, 6:46 pm
  3. I wish I knew. They all disappeared last year for some reason. Too bad , fun to see all the comments.

Posted by Gus Morris | July 9, 2017, 10:22 am
  4. I did 2 tours @IAS, 1963-65, with AFRTS. I was on the air the night the President was murdered, everybody, us & the Russians were blaming each other, for 72 hours everybody seemed to have their finger on the trigger.

Posted by Mike Hamiel | September 3, 2017, 4:18 pm
  5. Hello, I was there nov 69 thru may 71 Love it Worked in Swear and Tear before going to the Housing Office

Posted by Dotty ludington | September 3, 2017, 5:10 pm
  6. I was also on the rock. I think you were on Dawg flight with me?????

Posted by Don DeFrance | September 3, 2017, 5:16 pm
  7. Mike….I was a 202 Intel Analyst on Dog flight. Got there Dec. 28, 1963 and left April 1965. I listended to AFRTS all the time, in fact after going twice to Vietnam, DaNang and Saigon, I got out and went to Kent State University for my BS degree in Broadcasting. You were there with Adrian Conhauer(sp)I believe. Got married after KSU and worked at WKSU and WKNT in Kent, Ohio, then KNUI on Maui. Got into the shopping center business, then my firm built Fishermen’s Village in Punta Gorda, Florida. We got there in 1979 and have lived here in Port Charlotte since. Where are you now Mike.

Posted by Bob "Carp" Carpenter | September 3, 2017, 5:28 pm
  8. I was in town w/3 others drinking ouzo the nite JFK was killed.

OCT 62 – Apr 64. (extended 3 months to pull a stripe).

I was a ditty bopper on Dog!

Posted by Bill ONeil | December 12, 2017, 9:12 pm
  9. Bill: I just graduated from 202 Tech School at Goodfellow AFB. I flew out on Nov. 22, 1963 to Dallas. I got on another flight to Cleveland and the field closed. We learned from the pilot of the assassination. My roomy on Crete was Don “Sam” Rayburn, we got to Crete on the same day. Sam was a ditty bopper on Dog Flight too. I’ve always tried to find him but no luck. He was from Burleson, Texas.

Posted by Bob "Carp" Carpenter | December 13, 2017, 7:38 pm
  10. Hi

I can’t remember any names. I lost my pics moving a few years ago. In operations, if one walked down the aisle my seat was on the left, about half way down. We had a black SSgt who was a real nice guy.

Room was on the 2nd floor. Have you seen some of the movies taken of the site? I can send you web addresses.

Where do you live now? I am just outside Buffalo NY.

Bill

Posted by Bill ONeil | December 15, 2017, 7:01 am
  11. Bill: Please send me the web addresses. My wife and I have lived here in Port Charlotte, Florida the past 38 years. I was the 202 Turkish analyst. My first roommate was 292 Angelo Baroni from New Orleans. When we moved into the new Dog Barracks, my new roomy was 292 Don “Sam” Rayburn. Sgt. Eddie Nalepka was the main Dog shift Sgt. Merry Christmas. I have had friends who went back to Crete and said the base is sitting in ruin. Sad.

Posted by Bob "Carp" Carpenter | December 15, 2017, 8:11 am
  12. I see that you were on the island same time that I was.. I was on Able flight and remember dog flight was over us in the barracks.. I also worked in the snack shack when off duty.. Seen pictures of the base since it closed and it is ruined.. Hard to believe how nice it was when looking at the pictures now..Hope all that read this have a great Christmas and a healthy New Year

Posted by jim desjardins | December 15, 2017, 11:18 am
  13. Was stationed in Crete Oct 67 – Apr 69 was on Charlie flight

Posted by Dave Brittingham | December 15, 2017, 1:15 pm
  14. I was on the rock in 1960 and 1961, then went to goodfellw, tex as an instructor. Then to clark, PI followed by San Vito, Italy. Then to the Nam,and 6981 AK,then SAC Omaha , fini retirement.

Posted by floyd baldwin | December 18, 2017, 10:02 pm
  15. Just stumbled on this site. I was a 292 on Dog but ran the Auto Morris section. 63/64. I have several pics of beach parties during that time, if I bear down I can come up with names am sure. Reading this really brings back memories.

Posted by Chuck Rosecrans | January 10, 2018, 11:02 pm
  16. I was a 202 on Dog Flight from Sep 71 through Oct 72. Loved it. Worked the desk in the middle of the isle and supported all 292’s. Was a great time. Still think about Crete, Mikes Light House, Minos Shakes, and 12.5 out of Ag Nic.

Posted by J T (John) Barker | January 10, 2018, 11:45 pm
  17. On the Rock from oct 62 – 5/64. Dog. 292. worked about half way down the row, on the left.

Lost all my slides when I last moved.

I sure was a very good bid whist player.

Posted by Bill ONeil | January 11, 2018, 1:56 am
  18. I was a 292 on dog flight from 6/64 to 12/65

Posted by Joe Story | January 11, 2018, 6:05 am
  19. 6/64 to 12/65 I was on Crete

Posted by Joe Story | January 11, 2018, 6:07 am
  20. To Chuck Rosecrans:
    I was on Dog Flight from Jan 68 to Jul 69. I was a 202, Radio Intercept Analyst for NMSD, and I probably worked across the isle from you. But I was married and lived off base. So we may not have been in a lot of social contact.

Posted by Billy Templeton | January 11, 2018, 7:38 am
  21. Chuck….I was a 202 on Dog Flight from Dec. 1963 to Apr. 1965. My roommate was Jerry “Sam” Rayburn of Burleson, TX. I’ve never been able to find him in all these years. He was a 292 the same time I was there. Do you remember him?
    Bob “Carp” Carpenter

Posted by Bob Carpenter | January 11, 2018, 1:44 pm
  22. Bill Oneil, We were there at the exact same time frame, you would have been sitting close to my roommate Mike Daniels, I remember a Sgt Romero ran the place, I sat at the front desk in the automatic Morse section. Rich Richardson was a transcriber, that’s all that comes to mind besides a few nicknames, Porpoise, Moose but they took him out after throwing his roommate’s bed out the second floor, can’t remember if the roommate went out as well.

Posted by Chuck Rosecrans | January 11, 2018, 5:42 pm
  23. I was also a 202 on Dawg and knew JT Barker. I was there from February 71 to June 72. The “Old Master” was our floor chief. TSgt “Sweet baby James” Taylor was our NCOIC who always smoked those cheroot cigars with the wooden tip, we had a Senior Mast Sgt. Britt I think and a very young Lt., who’s name I’ve forgotten. He had a large birthmark on his face is all I remember. I dated the day lady’s Chief Mstr Sgt’s daughter a few times. We then got the first female X1’s (Morse operators) – three or four of them on our flight. I dated one named Bernadine from Massachusetts. Minos shakes, Gianni’s restaurant and Malia Beach. Loved it there…

Posted by Ron Bourquin | January 11, 2018, 7:28 pm
  24. Message to Mike Hamiel: found the tape of you Moonlight Serenade, Platter Pulse, etc. – thought it was lost. On a 7in. reel Sep.64 – do you want?

Posted by C J Kittleson | January 14, 2018, 9:01 pm