Asides

6931st Security Group – Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece
Jul 1967 to Aug 1969

6931st Security Group
Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece

Below are images and military documents for this period of time:

523 comments for “6931st Security Group – Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece
Jul 1967 to Aug 1969”

1. I’m gonna put a hook in the water, and see what I get. Haven’t posted in months. Was there when it was 6930th RGM from early August 1960 to mid February 1962. 20250 on Baker flight. What an awesome experience. Four or five guys have found me in past two years. Mel Cobb, Ellis Crabtree, Jose Morales, Ed Mashman. Billy Myers’ widow. Anybody know us?

Posted by Kent Barr | August 15, 2016, 6:23 pm
  2. STATIONED ON CRETE 1959 THRU 1960 292 DITTYBOPPER WAS ON DOG TRICK HAD SNOPPY WITHHEADPHONES AS MASCOT , 292 , PASSED FOR 295 BUT NO STRIPES, FROZEN FOR STRIPES THERE, AFTER TOUR WENT TO CARSWELL AB B-58 HUSTLER SAC BASE, EVEREONE WAS HAVING CRETE BOOTS MADE . ANYONE??? SOME OF GROUP TOOK FURTHER DUTY TOUR ON REMOTE SITES…JAPAN , ECT

Posted by joe piper | August 18, 2016, 4:14 pm
  3. I was station on Crete 12/61 – 5/62 went to El Paso Tx 5/62 – 3/65 then discharged. I was 292×2 on Able Flt.

Posted by Wayne Janes | August 19, 2016, 9:02 pm
  4. what are Crete boots? I was thee 69-71 Never heard of Crete Boots

Posted by Dotty ludington | August 30, 2016, 6:36 pm
  5. Stationed on Crete from 1960-1963 (6930th RGM) 292×1 (copied Russian diplomatic traffic); 1978-1981 (mission supervisor) 20771; 1984-1987 (Ops Superintendent after Jerry Trout pcs’d)) I Retired December 1987.

Have many super memories of my times on Kriti. YASOO ………MIKE ROONEY

Posted by Mike Rooney | August 31, 2016, 5:47 pm
  6. Iraklion Air station 8/76-8/78 as QC Chief for MWR. Wife Jill, Son Johnathan (age 10-12),Daughter Amanda(age 5-7)were also there.
    We lived in Base Housing near the Sea.
    In 2010 the family + 2 spouses and 4 grand kids returned to Crete for a week and a visit to the base. Although I had seen photos of the base on the internet it was still a shock to see it in it’s present condition. Regards to all who served.

Posted by Huston Short | September 7, 2016, 8:02 pm
  7. Stationed on Crete from 8-65 to 2-67. I think I was on Dawg Flt

Posted by James Larry McGee | September 8, 2016, 8:16 am
  8. James Larry McGee
    I was stationed on Iraklion, Crete as a 292XX ditty bopper from 4/65 to 10/66. I was 2T from Onna Point, Okinawa. I was trying to remember if I was on Baker or Dawg Flight on Iraklion. I remember being on Dawg Flight on Onna Point,Okinawa.

Billy R Drake

Posted by Billy R Drake | September 8, 2016, 12:30 pm
  9. Jerry McGee I was on Crete from June 64 to Dec 65. I was a 292×2 on Dawg Flight

Posted by Joe Story | September 8, 2016, 2:23 pm
  10. Jerry Mc Gee I was on Crete from June 64 to Dec 65. Was a 292×2 on Dawg Flight

Posted by Joe Story | September 8, 2016, 2:25 pm
  11. I was on Crete at IAS as a 202 on Dawg Flight Dec. 63 to April 65. I was a Turk analyst. My roommate was 292 Jerry “Sam” Rayburn. Have never been able to locate Sam. He was from Burleson, Texas. Anyone remember Sam or know where he is? I have Ben able to locate 202’s Dennis Maki, Rich Kozlowski and 204 DIck Wilson. MAki found me on Facebook last year and we had a great reunion 50 years later. Thanks, Bob “Carp” Carpenter, Port Charlotte, Florida. My email is carp813@comcast.net.

Posted by Bob "Carp" Carpenter | September 8, 2016, 3:36 pm
  12. think I remember you Jerry.. Did you play baseball ?????

Posted by jim Desjardins | September 9, 2016, 10:24 am
  13. Spent a year on Crete building the new base (1056-57). Everything was of temp nature. I was in charge of constructing the water tank and getting spare parts for electronic items such as the Budda Diesel powered generators. My main job was water supply and purification and insect control. Loved the snorkeling and even tennis in 120 degree temps. Was also asked to serve as base chaplain for the year I was there.

Posted by Phil Lee | October 8, 2016, 10:57 pm
  14. Just wanted to say that you and everyone that was sent to construct the IAS base did a fantastic job. Everything was still buzzing along great in 72-73. I don’t remember any of the buildings or systems that needed repairs during my time there, there wasn’t any new construction. Miss it, seems like my time there was only yesterday. Have a great day and thanks for your service!

Posted by Robb Carpenter | October 9, 2016, 8:34 am
  15. I TOO LOVED OUR BASE 69-71 Worked housing office

Posted by Dotty ludington | October 9, 2016, 12:43 pm
  16. Hello, I was stationed on Crete twice.
    1962-1964 Dog Flight, 29250.
    1066-1968 Baker flight.
    Any one remember James Lynn from Houston came over in 1962 with me? He married Marika that worked with Poppi night shift at Enlisted men’s club. Lost clearance, became day lady working in the gym. Perhaps SSgt Tony Richardson, one of best sarg”s I ever worked for?
    Went to Japan,64-,66,TDY to Nam in 65, then to Taiwan 68-69 then to San antonio
    and got out. Talk about a great mission great guys to serve with. I wrote my folks in Dec 62 about how I Felt that when God got though making the world he took all his left over mountains and put them on Crete. Really kick started my dream of studying history and becoming an archalogist.
    Some of it happened threw a few twists
    in the road. Would enjoy hearing from anyone who cares to.

Posted by Robert S. Douglas,The Weasel | October 21, 2016, 10:24 pm
  17. Loved hearing of your adventures Dotty

Posted by Dotty ludington | October 22, 2016, 1:23 pm
  18. Bob I was stationed in Crete June 64 to Dec 65 on Dawg Flght as a 29252. Left Crete went to Samsun Turkey!!

Posted by Joe Story | October 22, 2016, 2:41 pm
  19. RD dawg flight 1967-68 roommate Butch Kykendahl. Bough a Triumph TR4A from Capt Bloch. Toured Europe with Don Keith. Have returned to Crete four tines and love the “Rock”.

Posted by Ross Nichol | November 28, 2016, 9:34 am
  20. I remember the Captain and the Triumph. It was yellow wasn’t it.
    I was.an X1 on Dog flight.

Posted by Dick Carter | November 28, 2016, 12:21 pm
  21. Robert Douglas I was at IAS 1966-1968 on Baker flight.. a 292 and played softball. coached LL Baseball and was friends with Jim Prince from Louisana and Virgil Carmella from Portland oregon my email address is williams.danny98@yahoo.com for anyone interested in contacting me or chatting about our time in Iraklion

Posted by Danny Williams | December 21, 2016, 4:02 pm
  22. I was a dittybopper on Able flight and was stationed at Iraklion AS from Aug 1968 until my discharge Nov, 1971. Loved it so much I extended twice which is why I was there so long.

Went back to Crete in 1991. Things had really changed. I would say those 3+ years were some of the best years of my life.

Met some really great guys and hope they are all doing well.

Posted by edward j washatka | December 23, 2016, 8:47 pm
  23. We were roommates on Crete! I was shipped out to the 6937th, Pakistan in Feb.of ’69.

Posted by Dave Riddle | December 24, 2016, 7:27 am