Asides

6931st Security Group – Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece
Jul 1967 to Aug 1969

6931st Security Group
Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece

Below are images and military documents for this period of time:

486 comments for “6931st Security Group – Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece
Jul 1967 to Aug 1969”

1. Jim…did you play second base? I remember an outstanding second that gave me tips about playing that position when I was’t on the mound. Am I talking to the same guy? Ed

Posted by Ed givan | January 21, 2016, 3:40 pm
  2. Don’t think so Ed. I played short from HS until 75 about 10 yrs. I hurt my arm in the AF pitching batting practice (poor techniques, I guess), anyway I only played 1 year after the AF. I played short at San Angelo w/the Ed Givins that I knew and his catcher was a guy named Moose who supposedly had been drafted by the Cardinals.

Posted by Jim Bell | January 21, 2016, 7:17 pm
  3. Jim…I must have gotten you mixed up with someone else, but Moose was my catcher back then. I remember a guy that taught me to kick the bag on a double play when I covered second and do it from the back side of the bag so they would have to come over the bag to get me. Was that you?

Posted by Ed Givan | January 27, 2016, 5:50 pm
  4. No, that was not me. At San Angelo I played short and the ED that pitched for us would play second and first and only pitch when the pitcher (not very good) would get in trouble. Moose married a woman at Goodfellow that had kids and we all would tease him. The Eddie that I knew pitched on Crete for Able Flight and the base team, and ended up going to the world tournament as a pitcher. But I don’t think he got to pitch at that level but he still had a cool ring. He then went to Turkey from what I remember. Ed was also from Missouri.

Posted by Jim Bell | January 27, 2016, 8:39 pm
  5. Where did all the posts from previous years go

Posted by Doug Bryan | February 16, 2016, 12:53 am
  6. I was wondering the same thing. I thought I was just me.
    It’s been like this for a couple of months.

Posted by Gus Morris | February 18, 2016, 7:03 am
  7. Hello to all. I haven’t seen alot of traffic on this site for some time. Stationed at Iraklion from 1972-1973 as a security policeman. Seems like a 100 years ago now! Do miss the food and scenery.

Posted by Robb Carpenter | February 18, 2016, 5:04 pm
  8. You were there same time as I was. I worked the Gig on Dawg flight.

Posted by Gary Wallace | February 18, 2016, 8:25 pm
  9. You were there the same time as me, miss that place and snorkling in the Med

Posted by Mike Rippel | February 19, 2016, 6:18 am
  10. didn’t hang out with many from dawg flt, mainly able and some baker. Was dawg’s color green when you were there? Seems able was red, baker blue, charlie was yellow. Long time ago! It’s funny what sticks in your mind.

Posted by Robb Carpenter | February 19, 2016, 8:28 am
  11. I was baker flight, color was blue for football (only sport I played).

Posted by Mike Rippel | February 19, 2016, 7:49 pm
  12. I was stationed in Crete Oct 67-April 69 worked the diplomat station.Played basketball,football.track and softball.When I left there I went to 6994 det1 Vietnam on EC47.

Posted by Dave Brittingham | March 10, 2016, 12:20 pm
  13. I lived at Iraklion Air Station from 1957 to 1960. I was 4 when we left. I wish I could find our housekeeper, FOFO, her husband, George, and the British lieutenant’s wife that invited me often for tea.

Posted by Susan Hixon | April 24, 2016, 8:18 pm
  14. was on crete 59 thru 60, dawg trick , sgt honneycut our boss, played a little softball. left there went to carswell, b58 hustler program, liked duty on crete better…lopst touch with friends there , if anyone was there around then, memory not so great with names now, but had some greast friends and times, too bad how base is now,, best to all dittgy boopers

Posted by joe piper | May 18, 2016, 3:40 pm
  15. I believe my dad played softball. He would have been Airman John Hixon, wife Barbara.

Posted by Susan Hixon | May 18, 2016, 6:20 pm
  16. Dave Brittingham, Did you travel to Cigli-Izmir,Turkey to play football with the base team?

Posted by David Riddle | June 6, 2016, 3:18 pm
  17. Yes I did we didnt do real well but it was an experience.

Posted by Dave Brittingham | June 7, 2016, 5:55 am
  18. I was on Crete from Sept 1963 to Sept. 1966. I worked behind Base Supply. Would love to hear from anyone that served during that time. I lived at Knossos with wife and 2 kids.

Posted by Bill Myers | June 7, 2016, 9:35 am
  19. I arrived on Crete in September of 1966 and was there until September 1969. Worked at the Tropo site. Married a local girl “mili” and have been going back every year since then. Will be returning in early July for a couple of months. It is not the Crete of the 60’s but still great people, food and weather. I call it my second home.

Posted by Gary McLendon | June 7, 2016, 9:40 am
  20. I was on Crete from June 64 to Dec 65. Worked Jon Dawg flight as 29252. Went to Turkey after Crete..

Posted by Joe Story | June 7, 2016, 10:37 am
  21. I was there Oct 67 until Apr 69 and then on to Nha Trang Vietnam. I really enjoyed Crete. Good people,Great food.

Posted by Dave Brittingham | June 7, 2016, 11:59 am
  22. Joe Hill….I was on Crete as a 202/Turkish on Dog Flight from Dec 1963 to April 1965. MY roomy was Sam Jerry Rayburn a 292 and buddy was also 292 named Dave Allen. Do you remember any of us?

Posted by Bob "Carp" Carpenter | June 7, 2016, 1:25 pm
  23. Correction….Should read JOE STORY in my post.

Posted by Bob "Carp" Carpenter | June 7, 2016, 1:26 pm
  24. Bob,
    Where do you stay when you visit there. We lived for a while in Hersonnisos and I’ve always wanted to go back there but I understand it is now just a party town for European 20 somethings. Where would be a good place to stay that still has the sleepy little village atmosphere?
    Laurie

Posted by Laurie Johnson | June 7, 2016, 2:01 pm
  25. Yes I remember all you. My roommate was Norm Koons from Lawrenceburg In. I have a few photos from my time on Crete Wish I could upload them.

Posted by Joe Story | June 7, 2016, 2:57 pm
  26. Like that name Bob! Stationed on Crete from 72-73 as security police. Not much changed from the late 60’s. Still a great location to not only live there but to get paid for it!

Posted by Robb Carpenter | June 7, 2016, 4:34 pm
  27. Laurie….we were on a cruise and did not stay on Crete. There is a major Highway upland from the old road to Ayos Nicolas now. The base is closed, very rundown and vandalized. On land behind the old theater is a huge Aquarium tourist attraction. Check Google Earth to see satellite photos of the base and area.

Posted by Bob "Carp" Carpenter | June 7, 2016, 4:35 pm
  28. Joe Story….Sgt Eddie Nalepka was our shift Sgt. WIsh I could find my roomy Sam Jerry Rayburn and buddy David Allen.

Posted by Bob "Carp" Carpenter | June 7, 2016, 4:39 pm
  29. Laurie
    Try Sitia, on the East of the island. Its still trapped in the 70s. I returned to IAS ten years ago and then drove to Sitia. Its alot like around the base and Malia.

Posted by Larry Downing | June 8, 2016, 9:13 am
  30. Great, thanks. I’ll do that.

Posted by Laurie Johnson | June 8, 2016, 1:35 pm
  31. I served on Crete as a Personnel Specialist from November 1971 to November 1973. My wife Linda and I lived off base in the section of Heraklion known as Five Points. Met so many great people during my time on Crete. Given my assignment in Personnel I got to meet with virtually every airman and officer arriving at the air station and again in the weeks immediately preceding their departure. Great assignment. Great memories. Great people.

Posted by PAUL PAGODA | June 28, 2016, 4:44 pm
  32. I w i as there also the same time to the date, rotated to Korea in Oct. 73. Was a security police on Crete. Don’t remember very much contact with the admin folks. But then again, that was 43 years ago! Thank you for your service. I do remember 5 points!!!

Posted by Robb Carpenter | June 28, 2016, 5:53 pm
  33. Excuse my grammer on the phone.

Posted by Robb Carpenter | June 28, 2016, 5:59 pm
  34. You probably processed me in there in Jan 1973.

Posted by mike rippel | June 28, 2016, 6:26 pm
  35. No doubt Mike.

Posted by PAUL V PAGODA | June 28, 2016, 7:06 pm
  36. I was on Crete Dec 69 thru May 71 before going to Shu Lin Kou AS in Tawain. My 18 months at Iraklion AS happiest of my life . I worked in the housing office

Posted by Dotty ludington | June 28, 2016, 7:44 pm