Asides

6931st Security Group – Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece
Jul 1967 to Aug 1969

6931st Security Group
Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece

Below are images and military documents for this period of time:

498 comments for “6931st Security Group – Iraklion AS, Crete, Greece
Jul 1967 to Aug 1969”

1. Jim…did you play second base? I remember an outstanding second that gave me tips about playing that position when I was’t on the mound. Am I talking to the same guy? Ed

Posted by Ed givan | January 21, 2016, 3:40 pm
  2. Don’t think so Ed. I played short from HS until 75 about 10 yrs. I hurt my arm in the AF pitching batting practice (poor techniques, I guess), anyway I only played 1 year after the AF. I played short at San Angelo w/the Ed Givins that I knew and his catcher was a guy named Moose who supposedly had been drafted by the Cardinals.

Posted by Jim Bell | January 21, 2016, 7:17 pm
  3. Jim…I must have gotten you mixed up with someone else, but Moose was my catcher back then. I remember a guy that taught me to kick the bag on a double play when I covered second and do it from the back side of the bag so they would have to come over the bag to get me. Was that you?

Posted by Ed Givan | January 27, 2016, 5:50 pm
  4. No, that was not me. At San Angelo I played short and the ED that pitched for us would play second and first and only pitch when the pitcher (not very good) would get in trouble. Moose married a woman at Goodfellow that had kids and we all would tease him. The Eddie that I knew pitched on Crete for Able Flight and the base team, and ended up going to the world tournament as a pitcher. But I don’t think he got to pitch at that level but he still had a cool ring. He then went to Turkey from what I remember. Ed was also from Missouri.

Posted by Jim Bell | January 27, 2016, 8:39 pm
  5. Where did all the posts from previous years go

Posted by Doug Bryan | February 16, 2016, 12:53 am
  6. I was wondering the same thing. I thought I was just me.
    It’s been like this for a couple of months.

Posted by Gus Morris | February 18, 2016, 7:03 am
  7. Hello to all. I haven’t seen alot of traffic on this site for some time. Stationed at Iraklion from 1972-1973 as a security policeman. Seems like a 100 years ago now! Do miss the food and scenery.

Posted by Robb Carpenter | February 18, 2016, 5:04 pm
  8. You were there same time as I was. I worked the Gig on Dawg flight.

Posted by Gary Wallace | February 18, 2016, 8:25 pm
  9. You were there the same time as me, miss that place and snorkling in the Med

Posted by Mike Rippel | February 19, 2016, 6:18 am
  10. didn’t hang out with many from dawg flt, mainly able and some baker. Was dawg’s color green when you were there? Seems able was red, baker blue, charlie was yellow. Long time ago! It’s funny what sticks in your mind.

Posted by Robb Carpenter | February 19, 2016, 8:28 am
  11. I was baker flight, color was blue for football (only sport I played).

Posted by Mike Rippel | February 19, 2016, 7:49 pm
  12. I was stationed in Crete Oct 67-April 69 worked the diplomat station.Played basketball,football.track and softball.When I left there I went to 6994 det1 Vietnam on EC47.

Posted by Dave Brittingham | March 10, 2016, 12:20 pm
  13. I lived at Iraklion Air Station from 1957 to 1960. I was 4 when we left. I wish I could find our housekeeper, FOFO, her husband, George, and the British lieutenant’s wife that invited me often for tea.

Posted by Susan Hixon | April 24, 2016, 8:18 pm
  14. was on crete 59 thru 60, dawg trick , sgt honneycut our boss, played a little softball. left there went to carswell, b58 hustler program, liked duty on crete better…lopst touch with friends there , if anyone was there around then, memory not so great with names now, but had some greast friends and times, too bad how base is now,, best to all dittgy boopers

Posted by joe piper | May 18, 2016, 3:40 pm
  15. I believe my dad played softball. He would have been Airman John Hixon, wife Barbara.

Posted by Susan Hixon | May 18, 2016, 6:20 pm
  16. Dave Brittingham, Did you travel to Cigli-Izmir,Turkey to play football with the base team?

Posted by David Riddle | June 6, 2016, 3:18 pm
  17. Yes I did we didnt do real well but it was an experience.

Posted by Dave Brittingham | June 7, 2016, 5:55 am
  18. I was on Crete from Sept 1963 to Sept. 1966. I worked behind Base Supply. Would love to hear from anyone that served during that time. I lived at Knossos with wife and 2 kids.

Posted by Bill Myers | June 7, 2016, 9:35 am
  19. I arrived on Crete in September of 1966 and was there until September 1969. Worked at the Tropo site. Married a local girl “mili” and have been going back every year since then. Will be returning in early July for a couple of months. It is not the Crete of the 60’s but still great people, food and weather. I call it my second home.

Posted by Gary McLendon | June 7, 2016, 9:40 am
  20. I was on Crete from June 64 to Dec 65. Worked Jon Dawg flight as 29252. Went to Turkey after Crete..

Posted by Joe Story | June 7, 2016, 10:37 am
  21. I was there Oct 67 until Apr 69 and then on to Nha Trang Vietnam. I really enjoyed Crete. Good people,Great food.

Posted by Dave Brittingham | June 7, 2016, 11:59 am
  22. Joe Hill….I was on Crete as a 202/Turkish on Dog Flight from Dec 1963 to April 1965. MY roomy was Sam Jerry Rayburn a 292 and buddy was also 292 named Dave Allen. Do you remember any of us?

Posted by Bob "Carp" Carpenter | June 7, 2016, 1:25 pm
  23. Correction….Should read JOE STORY in my post.

Posted by Bob "Carp" Carpenter | June 7, 2016, 1:26 pm
  24. Bob,
    Where do you stay when you visit there. We lived for a while in Hersonnisos and I’ve always wanted to go back there but I understand it is now just a party town for European 20 somethings. Where would be a good place to stay that still has the sleepy little village atmosphere?
    Laurie

Posted by Laurie Johnson | June 7, 2016, 2:01 pm
  25. Yes I remember all you. My roommate was Norm Koons from Lawrenceburg In. I have a few photos from my time on Crete Wish I could upload them.

Posted by Joe Story | June 7, 2016, 2:57 pm
  26. Like that name Bob! Stationed on Crete from 72-73 as security police. Not much changed from the late 60’s. Still a great location to not only live there but to get paid for it!

Posted by Robb Carpenter | June 7, 2016, 4:34 pm
  27. Laurie….we were on a cruise and did not stay on Crete. There is a major Highway upland from the old road to Ayos Nicolas now. The base is closed, very rundown and vandalized. On land behind the old theater is a huge Aquarium tourist attraction. Check Google Earth to see satellite photos of the base and area.

Posted by Bob "Carp" Carpenter | June 7, 2016, 4:35 pm
  28. Joe Story….Sgt Eddie Nalepka was our shift Sgt. WIsh I could find my roomy Sam Jerry Rayburn and buddy David Allen.

Posted by Bob "Carp" Carpenter | June 7, 2016, 4:39 pm
  29. Laurie
    Try Sitia, on the East of the island. Its still trapped in the 70s. I returned to IAS ten years ago and then drove to Sitia. Its alot like around the base and Malia.

Posted by Larry Downing | June 8, 2016, 9:13 am
  30. Great, thanks. I’ll do that.

Posted by Laurie Johnson | June 8, 2016, 1:35 pm
  31. I served on Crete as a Personnel Specialist from November 1971 to November 1973. My wife Linda and I lived off base in the section of Heraklion known as Five Points. Met so many great people during my time on Crete. Given my assignment in Personnel I got to meet with virtually every airman and officer arriving at the air station and again in the weeks immediately preceding their departure. Great assignment. Great memories. Great people.

Posted by PAUL PAGODA | June 28, 2016, 4:44 pm
  32. I w i as there also the same time to the date, rotated to Korea in Oct. 73. Was a security police on Crete. Don’t remember very much contact with the admin folks. But then again, that was 43 years ago! Thank you for your service. I do remember 5 points!!!

Posted by Robb Carpenter | June 28, 2016, 5:53 pm
  33. Excuse my grammer on the phone.

Posted by Robb Carpenter | June 28, 2016, 5:59 pm
  34. You probably processed me in there in Jan 1973.

Posted by mike rippel | June 28, 2016, 6:26 pm
  35. No doubt Mike.

Posted by PAUL V PAGODA | June 28, 2016, 7:06 pm
  36. I was on Crete Dec 69 thru May 71 before going to Shu Lin Kou AS in Tawain. My 18 months at Iraklion AS happiest of my life . I worked in the housing office

Posted by Dotty ludington | June 28, 2016, 7:44 pm
  37. Robb
    You went from Crete to Korea? Then where?
    You bought my VW van on Crete.
    Do you remember Ed Cole and a linguist Ernest Lee? I had dinner with them 2 weeks ago in Florida. Small world. First reunion of us three since 1972 on IAS.

Posted by Larry Downing | July 9, 2016, 1:40 pm
  38. I won’t forget that snoopy vw van! After Korea I rotated to Austin. Texas and ft. Walton beach in support of the Vietnam refugees. Took a college break and then went into the Tenn. Army national guard for the next 30 years.retired in 2009.

Posted by Robb Carpenter | July 9, 2016, 7:49 pm
  39. Larry, I’m sorry but don’t remember Ed Cole or Ernest Lee. Do good to remember what I ate last night!!! Seems like I hung out with folks on Able Flight the most.

Posted by Robb Carpenter | July 10, 2016, 8:41 am
  40. How do I get in touch with Ernie Lee?

Posted by Bob Hachey | July 11, 2016, 9:37 am
  41. Ernielee1946@hotmail.com
    He lives near Viera in Florida

Posted by Larry Downing | July 11, 2016, 10:10 pm
  42. Paul, you probably processed me in too. I was a 202 on Dog flight, and arrived in Crete in August of 71, and had an overseas out in October of 72. Gotta say your name sounds familiar, need to look at some of my old documents.

Posted by J T (John) Barker | July 12, 2016, 1:12 am
  43. Many thanks, I’ll drop him a line. We were on Crete together 74-75.

Posted by Bob Hachey | July 12, 2016, 9:18 am
  44. John, did you own a bike while on Crete? Your name sounds very familiar. I was a e-4 security policeman that normally worked the security gate at the compound.

Posted by Robb Carpenter | July 12, 2016, 11:39 am
  45. Rob: Our tours overlapped between July ’67 and Dec ’67. I worked in the Exploitation Department (day weeny) for Capt John Lynch and Lt. Bill Corbin. I hung with the great guys of ABLE flight and played shortstop on their intramural fast pitch softball team. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that Chuck Lamb was our 1st string pitcher and maintained a 210+ bowling average. After my stint at the 6931st, I finished my tour of duty at the 6987th in LinKou Taiwan. Married a lovely Chinese lady with whom we have spend 46 great years together; 2 beautiful daughters and 4 fantastic grand kids. I often tell the grandkids about the wonderful experiences I enjoyed at both duty stations. Great times with the best guys ever… my respect and honor for those who served in the USAFSS! Many thanks for your service to our great country…

Posted by Ron Mundwiller | July 13, 2016, 7:47 pm
  46. Hello Ron, hope is all well with you and yours! Just reading your reply, you have me on Crete around ’67? I was there from Apr 72-Oct 73. I was coach/player on our security police softball team during this time, but we didn’t have fastpitch at this time. Also played flag football and basketball. Looking back on my service, it started on beautiful Crete and ended in obscure Afghanistan! But I was blessed the entire time in serving with some fantastic Americans who really loved this country!! Have a super day my friend and enjoy the privileges folks like you have made possible for many people in this great country!

Posted by Robb Carpenter | July 14, 2016, 8:57 am
  47. Uh,oh,Rob… the information following your name at the top of the box states that you were in Crete from July 67, but no worries. It really was a fantastic tour of duty. When I was at San Angelo, there was only 1 opening for Crete and I jumped on it; obviously, got it. Loved every minute of that tour, too… My best to you and your family, as well.

Posted by Ron Mundwiller | July 15, 2016, 2:02 am
  48. Hello all,

I am the younger daughter of Anthony DeCasper, who was based in Iraklion with the 6931st Security Group for 2 years in the 70’s. He recently passed away, and I came across this site while doing some research. Just wondering whether there are any of his friends or acquaintances on this board who have a memory of him and my mother, Helen, from that time.

Thanks to all for your service.

Regards,