Asides

6927th RSM – Onna Point, Okinawa
Aug 1959 to Feb 1963

Morse Intercept Operator
6927th Radio Squadron Mobile
Onna Point, Okinawa
Aug 1959 to Feb 1963

Below are images and military documents for this period of time:

90 comments for “6927th RSM – Onna Point, Okinawa
Aug 1959 to Feb 1963”

1. Got to Onna Pt just a few months before Pres. Kennedy was assasinated, I think we stayed on alert for the next six months. A real shock for a 19 year old kid. I was an analyst and got a real education about the world. Great bunch of guys there. Left mid ’65 as 2T for Crete. It was like leaving a candy store for a Jesuit retreat. Thanks for the memories, Jim Hubert

Posted by Jim Hubert | October 17, 2014, 1:03 am
  2. Jim, once again, a person (you) who served at Onna Point while I was there. Once again your name does not sound familiar and my mind does not come up with a facial image. I was a ditty bop on D flight. Let’s see, analysts I remember are Jim Underwood, Jack McQuaid, “Hall” whose first name I do not remember. I think maybe Pittman and his son Pittman were also analysts. (Leroy and Leroy Jr?). Hall was a 203/202. We called them “slantbars.” The story was that several linguists 203s were declared surplus and were retrained to be 202 analysts. They were given dual AFSCs with a slantbar between. So perhaps 20351/20251 or something like that. It was common, when something potentially important was encountered, for us to shout out “I need a slant bar!” Meaning we had traffic worthy of immediate attention by an analyst.
    Now I will tease a little. Did you analysts ever separate out the first four letters of the word describing your specialty?

Posted by Stanley Strope | October 19, 2014, 6:35 am
  3. Yes, I was there from 11/57 to 03/58, handled all your paper work (TSC), before they sent me to NSA Fort Meade for a tour. Good duty, nothing but Generals on down. Sent to Montana State, Bozeman (University now) and then went over seas to New Zealand for a much bigger tour. Can’t remember any names, but I do remember getting into trouble with some Jar-heads off of Kadena base. I took a beating and lost a friends camera. If my friend remember me give me a call so that I can repay. It was good times, but now at my age I can’t remember to much. I heard it is all gone now. Have a great New Years all of you. Martin Gray Fox Middleton

Posted by Martin Middleton | December 29, 2014, 3:55 pm
  4. stationed at onna point from may 61 to oct 62, B shift, morse operator, hanged with jerry blake, and alot of other guys, retired from air force in 1980 worked at nsa ft. meade, md from 1976 last diuty assignment till 1981 and then crossedover to GS at the agency in 1981 to 1991. tours where at keesler, instructor for 5 years, scotland, england,thailand and vietnam if anyone rememeber me use my email address

Posted by mike paolino | January 8, 2015, 1:39 pm
  5. Was a 29251 ditty bop stationed at Onna Point from Jan. 1961 to June 1963. Squadron Commander and me were only ones to get a jet back (Pan AM) that month. Onna Point antennas can still be seen out in the rice paddies. However, site has been turned over to the JDF. Gate has been moved all the way down to the highway, so you can’t see anything but the antennas. Okinawa given back to Japan in 1972 for Northern Marianna Islands (US Protect.). When I was there: it was Able, Baker, Charlie and Dog tricks. Remember several typhoons while there and having to travel to Baker barracks to chow hall via ropes tied between the barracks. Room on 2nd floor of D barracks. Roomies were Phil Beard and Everett Helton. Also remember using VO ribbons as short timers ids. Everything has changed over there. Was last there March 2014.

Posted by James (Jim) Wilkerson | March 2, 2015, 3:28 pm
  6. Forgot to mention that Condition 1 for typhoons, mess hall staff didn’t come to work. Even though paydays were in alphabetical order, KP during condition 1 was assigned in reverse alphabetic order. I almost got an Article 15 for refusing to go to KP during one. Told CQ runner to get the ones paid before me first. CQ had to come get me before I would go. Stubborn kid.

Posted by James (Jim) Wilkerson | March 2, 2015, 3:35 pm
  7. Was at Onna Pet Jan 63 to July 1964.
    Worked Charlie trick, 20351, worked The “T” shop Anybody remember the trip
    At Christmas 63 to Japan, Korea, and Taiwan. I too remember a typhoon and when earthquake in Alaska was supposed to sink the island. GREAT memories.

Nickname “Tex”

Posted by George Ritter | April 12, 2015, 11:17 pm
  8. PHIL HILTON and Charles “Mickey” Giardino. Ya’ll (that’s the way we talk in Texas) were at Onna about the same time I was. Jan ’61 to June ’63. Either remember the time a shark got inside of the reef into our swimming area. It was put offlimits for awhile after that. Also, I remember waling the rice ‘fields’ to Papa San’s for late night libations. I know you two were not on Dog trick as I was. We had the pool hall/beer garden in our barracks 1st floor. Never did learn to drink beer over there as was promised when I got there. Learned some pool though. Anyone remember the A1C in the orderly room who typed up the orders for those leaving (either rotational or reassignment) during that period. He and I were the only ones who rotated back to the states without becoming 702’s (clerk typists)that I was aware of. Was glad for that!!

Posted by James (Jim) Wilkerson | April 13, 2015, 11:01 am
  9. HOWDY “JIM”, PHIL HILTON HERE! I WAS ASSIGNED TO “D” TRICK MY ENTIRE TOUR AT ONNA. I NOTICED THAT ONE OF OUR COMRADES HAD POSTED A RESPONSE AS TO MY INQUIRY ABOUT FRANK & PAUL YATES, THE TWINS FROM VALLE CRUSIS, NORTH CAROLINA, ADVISING ME THAT BOTH OF THEM HAD DIED. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM JIMMY “D” CARTER. HE WAS A VERY COOL-DUDE. I HAVE LOST THE PHOTO I TOOK AT ONE OF OUR TRICK PARTIES OF HIM REACHING OUT TO GRAB A “MOON-BEAM” THAT NIGHT IN THE BAR WE HAD RENTED FOR OUR PARTY JUST OUTSIDE THE MAIN GATE OF NAHA BASE. I AM NOW 78 YEARS OLD AND LOST MY WIFE OF 34+ YEARS TO BREAST CANCER IN 2012 AND MY LIFE HAS BEEN TOTALLY MISERABLE SINCE THE DAY SHE PASSED AWAY. I LEFT THE “POINT” AND WOUND UP AT DONALDSON AFB IN GREENVILLE, SC, WHICH HAS ALSO BEEN SHUTDOWN NOW FOR OVER THE PAST 30 YEARS. POLITICS CLOSED A LOT OF BASES IN THE LATE TO MID 60’S. NIXON SCREWED UP WHEN HE ALLOWED JAPAN TO RE-TAKE THE ISLAND OR OUR FLEET OF SUBMARINES COULD NO LONGER BE REPAIRED IN JAPAN, TO ME THAT WAS ONE HECK OF A STUPID MOVE ON OUR GOVERNMENTS PART. IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THE ENTIRE CULTURE OF NATIVE RYUKIANS HAS CHANGED SO DRASTICALLY IN DESPISING OUR TROOPS PRESIENCE ON THEIR ISLAND. I IMPLORE ANY ONE OF MY FELLOW “DITTY-BOPPERS” THAT SERVED WITH ME FROM MAR 1959 TIL SEPT 1961. I HAD A SIDE JOB WORKING IN THE HOBBY SHOP TEACHING THE ART OF LEATHERCRAFT AND MADE NUMEROUS BILLFOLDS WITH OUT SQUADRON’S EMBLEM ON ONE SIDE. GIVE ME THAT CALL AT 281-914-5140 ANYTIME IN THE CST ZONE. I MANAGED TO LOOK-UP A BUDDY FROM KEESLER AFB BY THE NAME OF LARRY DUMAIN WHO WAS SENT TO CRETE. MY WIFE AND I VISITED HIM AT HIS HORSE RANCH IN PINE BUSH, NY DURING THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS FOLLOWING THE 9-1-1 ATTACK ON THE TWIN TOWERS.

Posted by PHIL HILTON | July 7, 2015, 12:47 pm
  10. ATTN “BILL” HOOKER. I BUNKED DIRECTLY OVER THE MAIL ROOM IN THAT SET OF BARRACKS. SHOT A LOT OF POOL THERE, JUST OUTSIDE OF THE 1st SGT’s Office which was directly across from the MAIL ROOM. DURING MY STAY ’59 – ’61 THEY BUILT A NEW HEADQUARTERS BUILDING DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM OUR BARRACKS. THE ALSO BUILT A FULL BLOWN THEATER ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE GUARD SHACK, THE HAD ALSO BUILT A SMALL 4 LANE BOWLING ALLY AND THE BUILDING HAD A CLUB WITH SLOT MACHINES. IRONICALLY, ON THE VERY DAY I DEPARTED FOR THE STATES, I HAD PLAYED A COUPLE OF BUCKS IN THE QUARTER MACHINE AND HIT THE “JACK-POT” AND GOT PAID $30.00, NICE GOING AWAY CHANGE. I ALSO WAS ABLE TO CATCH ONE OF THE WEEKLY FLIGHT ORIGINATING OUT OF JAPAN AND STOP AT NAHA TO PICK-UP ANYONE THAT WANTED TO VISIT HONG KONG FOR ABOUT 3 TO 4 DAYS. THAT WAS A FUN TRIP TO CHINA. I CAN’T REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE BARRACKS CHIEF’S NAME, EXCEPT HE WAS A VERY COOL T/SGT THAT WAS A TAIL GUNNER BACK WHEN IT WAS CALLED THE ARMY AIR CORPS. MOON BEACH WAS NICE, I ALSO VISITED THE “V-O-A” STATION JUST NORTH OF OUR ANTENNA FIELD AT ONNA. I CAN REMEMBER A FEW NAMES THAT WERE ON “D” TRICK, i.e. BLACK GUY NAMED “RICE” & CRAWFORD. PAUL YATES BUNKED ON TOP OF MY RACK. PLEASE NOTE THAT MY E-MAIL HAS CHANGED FROM A PREVIOUS ONE I HAS BACK IN 2012 POSTING. SUBMITTED THIS DAY JULY 7, 2015. FOOT NOTE: I GOT FRUSTRATED AT MY “ROYAL TYPEWRITER” ONE SHIFT AND REMOVED THE ROLL BAR AND BEAT THE TAR OUT OF IT, THEN PICKED IT UP AND THREW IT OVER THE R-390’s AGAINST THE WALL. “TINY-TIM” THE REPAIR GUY TURNED ME IN AND I HAD TO PAY $88.00 FOR THE COST OF A NEW ONE. LUCKY NO ART. 15.

Posted by PHIL HILTON | July 7, 2015, 1:21 pm
  11. Saw Dennis Chick’s post. He trained me in March 1963 on WZKBs. Went to HQ USAFSS in July 1964. Loved every minute of my time at Onna Point.

Posted by Ernie Cecil | July 29, 2015, 3:48 pm
  12. Was Dog Flight Commander about 3/63 to 9/64 took over from a Lt. Maestre. Col. Sandstrom then later Major Miller took command of site. Capt. Pulliam was OPS Officer. Wayne Carver and Mark Svonkin had other flights. Remember Hugh Wheeler, linguist. Sgt David and Sgt Briggs. See Ed Bendenelli here in San Angelo occasionally. Typhoons,Vietnam rising, local beach fatality and Col. Sandstrom’s papaya field people-to-people obsession come to mind.

Posted by Jack Price | August 3, 2015, 8:16 pm
  13. I FIRST SET FOOT AT KADENA AFB IN MARCH 1959 AND DEPARTED 9 MONTHS LATER. I WAS ASSIGNED TO “D” TRICK & BUNKED IN THE SAME BUILDING WHERE THE MESS HALL, COMMANDER’S OFFICE & POST OFFICE WERE ALL IN. A FEW MONTHS LATER THEY BUILT A NEW HEADQUARTERS BUILDING DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET FROM IT AT THIS SAME TIME THEY HAD A HOBBY SHOP, MOVIE THEATER RIGHT AT THE MAIN ENTRANCE, A CLUB WITH SLOT MACHINES ETC WITH THE NEW “P-X”, THEN A 4 LANE BOWLING ALLY BEHIND THE BARRACKS. THE BARBER SHOP AND MEDICAL OFFICE WERE IN THE SAME BUILDING AS THE GARAGE AREA,SUPPLY & LAUNDRY PICK-UP WAS IN. THE WAITRESS THAT SERVED US IN THE MESS HALL WAS KILLED WHEN AN F-101 JET CRASHED AND ROLLED THRU THE VILLAGE DIRECTLY ON THE PACIFIC COAST CALLED ISHIKAWA. DON’T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO CAUSE A DEATH ON THE BEACH THAT WAS MENTIONED. I DON’T THINK IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AT “MOON-BEACH”. I MADE EXTRA MONEY TEACHING LEATHER-CRAFT IN THE HOBBY SHOP; MAKING BILLFOLDS FOR GUYS WITH THE SQUADRON INSIGNIA ON ONE SIDE AND THEIR INITIALS ON THE OTHER SIDE. “JIMMIE D. CARTER” WAS A COOL FRIEND I WAS A NATIVE OF CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA I HAD TWO GREAT BUDDIES FROM NORTH CAROLINA, THEY WERE TWINS CALLED FRANK & PAUL YATES. IF ANY OF YA’LL STILL LIVING THAT MAY HAVE SOME MEMORY OR ME PLEASE SEND ME AN E-MAIL AT —-> (PHILHILTON@CONSOLIDATED.NET) I HAVE BEEN RETIRED SINCE 1998 AND LIVING IN KATY, TEXAS WHICH IS ON THE FAR WEST SIDE OF HOUSTON.

Posted by PHILLIP E, HILTON | August 8, 2015, 2:51 pm
  14. Phil,

I read with interest your comments. My time at Onna Point coincided with you, but I don’t recall knowing you. You may have already been made aware, if not, Frank and Paul Yates both passed away several years ago. These twin brothers were friends of mine and I spent endless hours shooting pool with Paul in the dayroom of the building you recalled. Always good to read any posts from former Onna Point members. Our numbers are diminishing. I just turned 79, so I only have 21 birthdays lefty LOL. Have a great day.

Posted by James (Smokey) Stover | August 11, 2015, 5:18 pm
  15. I AM SURE IF YOU SAW A PHOTO OF ME FROM BACK THEN, YOU WOULD RECOGNIZE ME. I ALSO PLAYED A GR8 GAME OF POOL AND MADE QUITE A FEW BUCKS DOING SO AS WELL AS THE POKER GAMES ON THE 2nd FLOOR. I WOUND UP BRING 4 CAMERAS BACK STATESIDE AS COLLATERAL FOR THE MONEY SEVERAL GUYS OWED ME. CONTACT ME AT MY PERSONAL E-MAIL ADDRESS WHICH IS PHILHILTON@CONSOLIDATED.NET AND THAT WAY I CAN SEND YOU A PHOTO. SOMEBODY TOLD ME EARLIER THAT THE TWINS HAD PASSED AWAY. I SPOKE WITH FRANK AFTER HE GOT OUT OF SERVICE; HE WAS WORKING AT LOCKHEED-MARIETTA, GEORGIA WHEN WE CHATTED.

Posted by PHILLIP HILTON | August 12, 2015, 1:29 pm
  16. I was a ditty bopper on Onna Point from Aug. ’58 till Feb ’60.
    I was a good friend of Bill Hendricks who worked days as a photographer and also in our little library (talk about a cushy job). Our mail clerk, Jerry Stein” sent me an email just last week telling me that our chow hall NCO, Sgt. Jack Segrest, just recently passed away. I got to see him at our 6927th reunion a few years ago. He was a “good ole boy”. He sure took good care of us back then with the best chow in the on the “rock”. My memory is not too good now, but what I see of the picture at the top of the page looks like some of my class at Kessler.

Posted by Robert Whitehead | September 15, 2015, 10:18 pm
  17. Was there from Dec 1961 to June 1964. On Able Flight and remember Jim Walton. He was an outfielder on our softball team. Believe he was a south paw. Enjoyed reading all the comments.

Posted by Larry Hurley | October 8, 2015, 5:26 pm
  18. Also remember Ernie Cecil and Dennis Chick. Hard to believe seeing those names after all these years. Hope you guys were successful, very happy, and healthy. Thanks for the memory.

Posted by Larry Hurley | October 8, 2015, 6:27 pm
  19. Larry Hurley – believe it or not I think of you every once in a while. I remember playing softball for Able trick with you as our mainstay in the OF. I actually loved being in OKI and even up at the point. Hope you did.
    Ernie Cecil

Posted by Ernie Cecil | October 11, 2015, 6:13 am
  20. Ernie. Just went through my Air Force scrapbook and found a black/ white 8 by 10 photo of that softball team. There you
    are, 1st row center. Yes, I enjoyed my tour on Okinawa, but after 2 1/2 years was ready to leave. Good to hear from you.
    BTW. If you remember correctly after a few games our catcher. Terry Yahn, was sent on TDY so I ended up catching most of thd year. Thanks again.
    Larry Hurley

Posted by Larry Hurley | October 11, 2015, 4:32 pm
  21. I was stationed on Onna Point, Okinawa with the 6927th Sec Sq as a 292xx (ditty bopper) on Dog Flight from Aug 1963 to March 1965 and from there (2-T) to the 6931st Sec Grp Iraklion Crete, Greece from April 1965 to Oct 1966.
    SSG Ross Price was my supervisor. 2Lt James J. Pieri was the Flight officer. MSgt Ralph Pittenger was another supervisor.
    I played softball, basketball, flag football for Dog Flight. I remember the basketball court was an outside court.
    The thing I remember the most is there was a TSgt (I can’t remember his name) that was an analyst on Dog Flight. He had started an archery club and had rented a fishing boat for the archery club to go deep sea fishing. We had been out a couple of hours and one of those Okinawan storms came up out of nowhere. The next thing we knew the waves were coming over the side of the boat and the captain and crew were telling everyone to put on their life jackets. You talk about a bunch of scared airman, everyone was scared.
    You couldn’t see anything but the clouds and water. He said he would try to maneuver the boat between 2 small islands or we would drift out into the China Sea. Finally the crew anchored the boat during the night and we all went to sleep. We woke up the next morning and we were anchored between the 2 islands and we could see Okinawans walking around on the islands. We finally made it back to base by noon.
    I saw Jim Hubert and Stanley Strope’s post and they were there on Dog flight some of the time I was there. I was there when President Kennedy was shot and remember waking up that morning and hearing the news on the radio.
    Some of the ones I remember on Dog flight that were 2-T with me were Lawrence Dobson (The bowler),Robert M Coulter, Clyde C Kuhn Jr, Johnnie F Griffith, Donnie R. Blazer, William O Kosanke.
    I was from Alabama.

Posted by Billy R Drake | October 21, 2015, 9:19 pm
  22. Billy Drake, I have racked my brain trying to remember you or your name. I have tried to remember the fellows you named as fellow 2-T people. I have pondered the name you gave as flight commander. No luck. The only name I remember is Pittenger. I cannot come up with a face to match that name. When I got there about 1 October 1964 the dog flight commander was 2nd Lt Franklin Drefs. NCOIC was Earl Frank. Aisle two supervisor was Wayne H Manke. I believe Jimmie Madden had already taken over aisle one and Glennon or Glendon Wilson was in charge of aisle three. The first dog flight person I remember departing was Willis Fort. My room mate was Robert “Slack-Slack” Lipscomb. Roger Pilotti was kind of an old troop. (not age wise….had been there a while.) Dennis Warning broke me in. I could name lots of other fellows who would have been there during your 63-65 duty.

Posted by Stanley Strope | October 25, 2015, 7:17 pm
  23. Stanley Strope,
    You would have been at Onna Point the last 6 months I was stationed there.
    I was trying to remember if 2nd Lt James J Pieri had transferred out before I left on 14 Feb, 1965 for Iraklion, Crete. MSgt Ralph L Pittiner was the NCOIC when I arrived in August, 1963. SSgt Ross G Price was the Morse Controller for my aisle (I thought I was in aisle 2). I remember their was an A1C that was the relief controller for our aisle (He wore glasses). I cannot remember his name.
    I remembered that TSgt West was the analyst that set up the archery club’s deep sea fishing trip.

My roommate was Lawrence (Larry) Dobson and he was the best bowler on Dog flight and probably on the base.
    One other member of Dog flight was William Ceprich from the Chicago, IL. area. If you ever went down town and missed the last bus back to Onna Point and missed curfew you would want to be with Ceprich. He could talk the Okinawan guards into letting him in the gate. We would catch a cab and he would let us out on the road where it curved to the right to enter the base and we would walk through the fields and get up on the cement tombs near the NCO club and jump over the fence while Ceprich was distracting the guards.

Posted by Billy R Drake | October 27, 2015, 8:56 pm
  24. Was at Onna point from May 57 thru Oct 59. Was in the orderly room as an A2
    Was From Danville, Va and several of the
    guys were from the same aera. I too liked the Coral outside of the gate and loved to go to Naha. We didn’t have a
    movie theatre but we did have movies. No
    bowling alley like some of the guys I have met at the mini re at St Augustine
    FL. I came home and got discharged. Had
    a reinlistment ass to Ft. Meede but turned it down Had 36 month time and grade for Airman fist but afsc was frozen. wasnt coming back to the states and pull KC anyway I don’t think any of you guys would remember me
    I was really skinny weighed 135 take care and get in touch Drew Scearce

Posted by Drew Scearce | November 13, 2015, 11:13 am
  25. I was stationed at Onna Point from 1958 to 1960. I was assigned “C” flt. My assignment was manual morse intercept op.

Posted by George Mccormick | December 24, 2015, 11:32 am
  26. IN MY TENURE AT ONNA WHEN PRESIDENT “IKE” EISENHOWER VISITED THE ISLAND AND OUR COMMANDER ORDER UP A BLUE BUS TO CARRY EVERYONE THAT WAS NOT WORKING THE DAY SHIFT TO CARRY US TO A HIGHWAY ON THE CHINA SEA SIDE OF THE ISLAND BETWEEN KADENA & NAHA TO STAND AT ATTENTION ONCE THE COMMAND WAS GIVEN AND ALSO TOLD NOT TO FACE THE PRESIDENT. IT WAS RIGHT AFTER “IKE” HAD BEEN SWORN IN AS OUR PRESIDENT. IF ANYONE OF YA’LL REMEMBER THAT EVENT, PLEASE SEND ME AN E-MAIL AND TELL ME SO.
    FOR THE “F-Y-I” DEPARTMENT, WHILE AT KEESLER I WAS AWARDED A “RED-ROPE” LATER THE NEXT MONTH I WAS AWARDED THE “YELLOW-ROPE” 2 MONTHS AFTER THAT, THE COMMANDER DESIGNATED ME THE HONOR OF BEING A “WHITE-ROPE”. I WAS TO THAT THE REASON I HAD BEEN ADVANCED SO QUICKLY WAS THAT I HAD SERVED A TOUR WITH THE US NAVY SUBMARINE SERVICE WHERE I HAD GONE THROUGH A RIGOROUS BASIC TRAINING ON TOP OF SUBMARINES SYSTEMS. ALL THIS STARTED ABOUT MAY OF 1958 UNTIL COMPLETING MY CODE SPEEDS OF 20 WPM + 15 MORE. I FEEL LIKE I HAD AN ADVANTAGE SINCE I HAD TAKEN TWO YEARS OF TYPING WHILE IN HIGH SCHOOL. IF I GET AN E-MAIL FROM ANY OF MY ONNA BUDDIES, I WILL SEND THEM A PHOTO OF MYSELF SITTING IN MY BARRACKS CHAIR WITH MY “WHITE-ROPE” ON.

Posted by PHILLIP HILTON | December 24, 2015, 3:04 pm
  27. Got my USAFSS ring in mail yesterday. It is fantastic. Retired Navy guy makes them. Www,gordonmasonicrings.come
    Don’t know if USAFASS ring is on website, but he knew the ring I wanted. It has the old logo and says USAFAS Security Service.

Posted by Eriie Cecil | December 25, 2015, 4:51 pm
  28. Ernie,
    Let me know about the USAFSS ring, Sounds tempting. Looked at web site, but I couldn’t fathom where it would be. Please let me know if you also have a direct contact #. Thanks, Jim.
    Also, I would like to know of any reunions (Past, present, or future) news. Thanks

Posted by James (Jim) Wilkerson | December 26, 2015, 8:15 am
  29. One memory still fairly fresh from the Point. Anyone remember the time three guys on “D” trick bought a car (jalopy) while on 3 day break. Then went AWOL driving around and around the island until they were caught. Seem to remember all the threats about shooting them on sight due to clearances. Also, seem to remember APs getting article 15’s of 2 weeks at the gun range for shooting at guys jumping the fence after curfew and missing them. Anyone else remember these incidents?

Posted by James (Jim) Wilkerson | December 26, 2015, 8:36 am
  30. Gordon’s phone # is (912)265-9591. I got the original information from a guy named Jerry from 6927th @ the point.
    When I ordered my ring, I simply told him I wanted the USAFSS ring. it is not on his website, but the insignia is the very one on my cig lighter from Oki & the one on my C trick hat. They are stainless steel and only $105.
    Send me an email at pastor@antiochchurch.info id yourself as USAFSS and I will have my son or associate pastor take a pic & email it back to you. I’m not good at such stuff.

Posted by Ernie Cecil | December 26, 2015, 3:58 pm
  31. I was Dog Flight Oct 64 to March 66 and none of that is familiar to me. I never heard of three fellow flight members awol. I never heard of APs shooting at curfew violating airmen.

Posted by Stanley Strope | December 26, 2015, 8:38 pm
  32. I was Dog Flt Commander about 3/63 to 9/64. Lived in Kadena BOQ and not on Onna Point site, A long time ago, but I do recall issues associated with AP actions relating to curfew(?) violations and antenna field materials theft. Very vague but seem to recall. Does anyone remember a villager lethal sea snake bite or is that a figment of my imagination?

Posted by Jack Price | December 27, 2015, 11:00 am
  33. Stan, I left there in July ’63. So, this must have been during ’62 when those incidents occurred.
    Great to hear from you though!

Posted by James (Jim) Wilkerson | December 27, 2015, 11:40 am
  34. Jack,
    I was stationed at Onna Point from Aug ’63 to Feb ’65. I was a 2-T airman Morse Intercept Opr on Dog flight. I was trying to remember you. I remember 2nd Lt James J. Pieri was Dog Flight commander in Oct ’63 and MSgt Ralph L. Pittenger was NCO. My morse controller was SSgt Ross G. Price. He nicknamed me Hounddog.
    Do you remember any of these on Dog flight?

Posted by Billy R Drake | December 29, 2015, 2:37 pm
  35. I knew Jim Pieri. From Boston, married and had a nice house (for Okinawa) at the time. I worked with Jim but he did not replace me on Dog as I think he he was on days at that time . MSgt Briggs was the NCOIC, TSgt Luther David I recall. Commander was LtCol.Francis X. Miller and Cpt. William Pullman I think was Exec.Officer. I was on an unaccompanied 18 month tours from 3/63 to 8/84.

Posted by Jack Price | December 29, 2015, 9:47 pm
  36. Don’t know if this is the incident. Before I became a Christian. Had too much to drink in Koza. took a skoshi cab early am before the gates opened. lay outside the gates for a while. Got up and started to climb the fence. Able trick barraks were right by the fence. Oki guard went to get rifle & other guard called APs. AP took my name and sent me to barraks. Later Sgt. Tomaso gave me a choice. A letter in my records that stayed in Okinawa or an Article 15. Guess which one I took. Never did hat again. I was at Onna Point March ’62 – July ’63.

Posted by Ernie Cecil | December 30, 2015, 6:55 pm
  37. Was stationed on Onna Point, Dec. 31, 1963, to Mar 1965, as ditty bopper. Name had just changed to 6927th Security Squadron; I was in C flight. Remember names: Jerry Ducharme, Harry Hall, Richard Jackson, “Bear” Bryant, Johnny Price. Remember “People to People” program where we planted PaPya plants for Okinawans, had to wear fatigues, sweat through them got dehydrated that night, was sick, never again!!! After Okinawa, was stationed to 42 Bomb Wg, Limestone, Maine, a SAC base, worked in Legal Department, until discharge in March 1967.

Posted by Gerry Traenkenschuh | December 31, 2015, 1:09 am
  38. IF ANYONE KNOWS JIMMY D. CARTER, WHO I UNDERSTAND IS LIVING HERE IN TEXAS CLOSE TO SAN ANTONIO, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF HE IS STILL ALIVE & KICKING. I AM LIVING IN A VERY WESTERN TOWN FROM THE CITY OF HOUSTON, CALLED (KATY, TEXAS). I AM GETTING READY IN FEBRUARY TO CELEBRATE MY 78th BIRTHDAY. I LOST MY BELOVED BRIDE AFTER 34 YEARS OF GLEEFUL & JOYOUS YEARS TO LUNG CANCER. AFTER HAVING GONE THROUGH TWO PREVIOUS MARRIAGES, SHE WAS THE 3rd BRIDE AND WE NEVER EVER ONCE HAD CROSSED WORDS OF ANY ANGER. SHE WAS A PETITE LITTLE GAL FROM “PHILLY”, PA. I TOLD HER BEFORE OUR WEDDING CEREMONY THAT I WOULD LIKE FOR HER TO BE IN CHARGE OF ALL BANKING & TAX RECORDS AND I PROMISED HER THAT I WOULD TAKE CARE OF HER AS LONG AS I WAS ALIVE. WELL THAT ULTIMATELY CAME TO A SAD ENDING AS SHE PASSED PEACEFULLY IN THE HOSPITAL “HOSPICE” WARD. THAT WAS IN SEPT 12, 2012 AND MY LIFE HAS BEEN HORRIBLE. ALL I DO NOW IS PET & FEED MY CHINESE SHAR- PEI DOG, WATCH TONS OF WAR PROGRAMS ON THE “PBS” CHANNEL. MOST SIT AROUND REMENESING MY ENTIRE LIFE’S EVENTS. I AM NOT ABLE TO TRAVEL DUE TO MY HEALTH SO I DO USE MY COMPUTER A FEW HOURS A DAY AND NOW AFTER GAIN CONTACT WITH THE USAF-SS GANG, I GIVES ME GREAT READING AND TRYING TO REMEMBER ALL MY TIME AT “ONNA”! THANKS TO THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE HELPED ME PURCHASE MY RING FROM GORDON AND MY RADIO CUP SET FROM “FLORIDAJIM.COM”. I EXCHANGE SOME E-MAILS WITH DAVE SHEPARD, ERNIE & JIM STOVER. I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT I HAD SERVED IN THE US NAVY’S SUBMARINE SERVICE PRIOR TO BECOMING A AFSC-29251 I HAD A TON OF PHOTOS THAT I TOOK WHILE ON THE ROCK BUT SOMEWAY – SOMEHOW, THEY HAVE GOTTEN LOST IN MY MIXED UP MARRIED LIFE TRANSITIONS. AGAIN THANKS TO ALL FOR THE MEMORIES! I SALUTE EVERY ONE OF YA’LL !!!@@@!!!

Posted by PHILLIP HILTON | December 31, 2015, 11:51 am
  39. Hey Ya’ll!! If you might be interested, go to the following link,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I92uWkQWTHo, to see a video about the first ever recorded snowfall on “The Rock”. Other links about Naha and other locations on that page. Thought it interesting when I found it while surfing the net.

Posted by James (Jim) Wilkerson | February 2, 2016, 10:30 am
  40. I was wondering if anyone knew my Grandfather Lt/Capt. Everett H Black. He was stationed at Kunsan AB from 1951-1952 and then served in Kadena from 1958-1959. He was killed 27 Sep 1959 while operating his motor scooter. My family is doing research as years go on and memories fade and trying to put together any information we can find in regards to his service or anyone that may have known him thru his and their service. He was a maintenance officer while he was stationed in Korea. if anyone knows of him or has information they would be willing to share from those time periods I would greatly appreciate it. Please email me at peter.black.4@us.af.mil thanks againa nd thank you for your service.

Posted by Peter Black | March 7, 2016, 11:58 am